Protect and Survive: A Timeline

Sir Chaos

Banned
I think what Whitelaw is afraid of is people questioning their ability to govern. "If the Swiss can get over fod from 1500 km away, why can't our government?". They probably won't bother with explanation that it might be because the Swiss haven't been nuked...

They haven´t? I thought every neutral got nuked to some degree, just in case.

From what I'm wrong, LPG conversions were very popular in the 70s and 80s when Ireland was not well off and petrol prices were relatively high. It was only when companies used the increased demand to raise prices that it did fall in popularity.

In 1982 or thereabouts many if not most houses would indeed have a fireplace.

My bad there. If I made mention of the power stations before it is because they all burn peat, and they are situated relatively close to the bogs.

It doesn't change the reality that oil is the lifeblood of industry, and that it is indeed in the best interests of Ireland to help the UK get back on its feet. One good turn deserves another...

If I remember correctly, there were two peat burning stations in Ireland at the time, one gas station powered from the Kinsale fields (which came on line in 1979) and some hydro-electric based around the Shannon. Without Dublin, this will probably be enough to power the RoI. I'm not sure of the details of the Irish Transmission grid in the 80's, but I imagine it doesn't all go through Dublin.

Great timeline, btw, it's inspired me to register.

Secretary of the Interior at the time of the attack was William P. Clark Jr - Hodel got it in early '85 OTL - whether it's still him now remains to be seen

Enough of Switzerland must have survived for them to send at least some aid to the outside world, even if they have, shall we say, mishandled it. Whitelaw's going to have the Swiss crew interrogated though, I should imagine.

Stress is a factor with both the Pilot and the Commando - the Pilot's psyche is shot thanks to the war, whereas the Commando blames the Pilot for his friends' death in the aeroplane.

There's certainly something off with the American, but he'll probably be fine for fallout - the Brits are being cautious with their full suits, but we must remember that they destroyed their Roentgen meter soon after hitting the US coast - this area might well have got lucky with regards to fallout patterns.

Vietnam will have been pasted - even if the US ignores them, which is possible, the Chinese have the far more recent Sino-Viet war of '79 fresh in their minds - combined with this, Vietnam is an actual military threat to them, whilst to the US, it's merely a grudge.

I imagine a couple of bombs got thrown at Afghanistan - probably the capital and the biggest Sov. airbase - it's a secondary concern though to the front in Europe and to strategic East European/Russian targets.

I like this theory.

Thank you for the answers :)

I admit, in a TL where the children would be officially sentenced to death by starvation and nurses are shot for a handful of morphine, it is easy to take a certain inclination to pessimism; talking about Switzerland, I had forgotten that, even if only for the whim of the case, not necessarily every Soviet launch has been a "success" (That's something I forgot to tell you about Italy: I have outlined a worst-case scenario, but it would not be ASB (for example) if some of those submarines were sunk before them have launched their part of the attack and so their targets were left unscathed by the Exchange.

Anyway, this is your TL and you call the shots, I'm just puttin' in my 2 cents ;)

Out of all the countries of Europe, the Swiss would likely be the best protected. They're well trained, have lots of shelters, and most of the males are in the armed forces reserve.

Good update, as always.

And as always a bit of question time (not only for Macragge1, I am interested in the views of all);)

On the one hand it seems hard to believe that Switzerland has not been affected by the Soviet attack (I imagine that in a situation such as that of the Exchange both parties have tried to settle outstanding accounts up to Ancient Egypt) on the other side if the Swiss were able to dodge the war even this time, why risk people and resources through a France devastated by the missiles of the Warsaw Pact? Other ideas?

Between the pilot and the Commando is definitely going up the tension: it is "only" the grueling stress, or both have a hidden agenda?

The American is a joker or is crazy like a horse? Why he does not have a radiation protection suit in an environment where the roentgen meter was a buzzer drive?

What happened to the U.S. President?

Ancient Egypt.............LOL. :D

Actually, an awful lot of bombs wont go off where they are expected to.

Estimates at the time were that about 50% of Russian missiles would (a) work, (b) land somewhere near the target, and (c) go off properly.
(It was alleged that this estimate was on the high side!). Not such a problem on important targets, they'd get 2 shots (and hopefully no fratricide); cities tend to get a bit overkilled.

But what this means in practice is that some targets are overkilled, while some are missed completely, especially secondary targets.

(Read The Threat from this period, its an interesting analysis by a Russian of the state of the Russian forces - a bit theatrical, but still interesting).

Indeed, its thought one of the main props to MAD was the fact that noone on either side really knew how many weapons wpuld work or hit - thus makinga preeptive strike rather more chancy than is comfortable

According to the ever reliable wiki the Texan we're wondering about was CEO of an oil company. As far as I can tell he and his family were living in Texas.
An interesting matter to consider is the possibility that the USAF would recall him and other former reservists to the Air Force Reserve during the pre-war crisis.

According to the ever reliable wiki the Texan we're wondering about was CEO of an oil company. As far as I can tell he and his family were living in Texas.
An interesting matter to consider is the possibility that the USAF would recall him and other former reservists to the Air Force Reserve during the pre-war crisis.

Yeah, that's the story as I know it.:)

And who was the Texan???????

Mutinies or just bad communications? (We're only makin' hypothesis...)

Or just a bad joke.

Secretary of the Interior at the time of the attack was William P. Clark Jr - Hodel got it in early '85 OTL - whether it's still him now remains to be seen
Or the Under Secretary of the Interior if they are the highest surviving official or at least the highest survivor in that particular area.

Oh, LOL, I figured it might just be him, but I guess we'll have to wait until Macragge posts a new update for us to find out for sure...........

Well since GW Bush was basically just the impression I got from the guy, it means very little. Macaragge1 did say he liked the theory though.

I kind of hope it's not Bush...

This TL is awesome because of gritty, in-your-face realism. The world ends with a bang and the aftermath is brutal and gruesome. Bush and the Caesar of New York is...a little...it just doesn't fit the grim vision of the UK that's been painted.

This TL is awesome because of gritty, in-your-face realism. The world ends with a bang and the aftermath is brutal and gruesome. Bush and the Caesar of New York is...a little...it just doesn't fit the grim vision of the UK that's been painted.

I actually agree.

Macragge1

Banned

Well yeah - the Caesar of NY thing's a joke on the American's part, whilst, much as I love the idea of GWB turning up, the chances of it actually happening are perishingly slim.

Actually, an awful lot of bombs wont go off where they are expected to.

Estimates at the time were that about 50% of Russian missiles would (a) work, (b) land somewhere near the target, and (c) go off properly.
(It was alleged that this estimate was on the high side!). Not such a problem on important targets, they'd get 2 shots (and hopefully no fratricide); cities tend to get a bit overkilled.

But what this means in practice is that some targets are overkilled, while some are missed completely, especially secondary targets.

(Read The Threat from this period, its an interesting analysis by a Russian of the state of the Russian forces - a bit theatrical, but still interesting).

Indeed, its thought one of the main props to MAD was the fact that noone on either side really knew how many weapons wpuld work or hit - thus makinga preeptive strike rather more chancy than is comfortable

James Dunnigan in his first edition of "How to Make War" also states this (book is a must read on nuclear war in the 1980s, although now out of print. The 3rd Edition devotes far less time to the subject)

One of the interesting facts of the Cold War era pre-GPS is that all of the ICBMs had internal guidance systems that may very well have been seriously affected by proximity to the north magnetic pole. No one ever found out because obviously a missile test fired over the north magnetic pole was out of the question.