Proposed Ideas in history too unrealistic to work

My idea would be for Buffalo Commons, which was an idea in the 1980 by professors from Rutgers to move people off of the Great Plains and return it to Bison land. Obviously it would be stupid as a lot of oil is down in Texas and Oklahoma and even Kansas
Also the Dakotas...more important than Kansas, oil-wise. However, the majority of the oil in Texas in in the Gulf-East Texas region or in the Permian Basin--part of the latter is on the Great Plains, but part isn't.

while cattle ranching is still quite important in the region and as small as the population is, are you going to tell people that they can’t live or work out in the plains anymore?
Honestly, doing so wouldn't be any different than almost any previous national park set up by the United States--even leaving aside the indigenous population, many of them were founded in areas that saw at least transient use by neighboring populations, leading to quite a bit of conflict as a result.

Are smaller cities like Hays Kansas or Kearney Nebraska or Minot North Dakota just going to be evacuated?
Pretty sure that was the idea, yeah.

Even if you paid folks to move it would probably not be enough to convince folks to move. Overall itd be impossible to do this but it sounds interesting.
Realistically, though, a smaller-scale version of this is likely to develop in the future as people move off the plains and leave large regions effectively abandoned (especially if Ogallala goes and you can't irrigate most of the plains any longer). Major cities like Omaha or Kansas City will remain, of course, but other areas will be functionally depopulated. This would create a de facto version of this. Conservation organizations and maybe the federal government would also in that case have more ability to buy up plains land and set it aside for conservation, which might lead to the creation of formal parks in some areas.

That's more or less what the Poppers are talking about now, anyway. Continued decline in rural economics in part of the Great Plains (not the whole thing) leading to large parts essentially returning to nature. They compare it to the more remote parts of New England, where attempts at cultivation in the 18th and 19th century were abandoned and led to those areas returning to a natural forest environment.

The adoption of Esperanto as a single unifying European Language

I love the idea but well.....

Still more people speak it than Klingon!
There's also interlingua who has the more modest goal of being the language spoken by europeans, with focus on the ones who speak romance languages, kinda like a new latim for the EU rather than a substitute for english
Still tho, less people speak it than esperanto, so rip

This probably doesn't fall into "unrealistic" as in theory there is nothing stopping it, but didn't Edward Teller reach the conclusion that if Mutual Assured Destruction was carried through to its logical conclusion, having delivery methods for nuclear weapons was a waste of time and the US may as well have gigaton hydrogen devices across its own landmass, ready to detonate and wipe out humanity if needed?
If he didn't the Air Force sure considered it :)

Hence the "bomb" Orion concept. Not "bomber", not "battleship", not "Deep Space Deterrent Vehicles.. ONE, SINGLE, 40 kilo ton (mass) BOMB!

Sure in theory the Orion would loft it to the other-side of the planet but even still it would blow off half the atmosphere AND probably crack the planets crust, but hey between than and letting the "Commies" take over... :)

Randy

You are probably talking about Senator Tillman's Maximum battleship studies from 1917.

There was also a 1912 battlecruiser proposal which would have been 1,250 feet long.

side_1.png

For sort of a mini-Atlantropa, there's also the "Reber Plan," which would have filled in part of the San Francisco Bay, and turned the San Pablo bay into a freshwater lake:

800px-Reber_Plan.jpg

This one actually got quite a bit of attention, and even public support, but a 1953 study by the Army Corps of Engineers—which involved the construction of a hydraulic scale model of the bay, which was in professional use at least as late as 2000—proved it to be impractical. (I seem to remember it saying that the seawalls, as proposed, wouldn't be able to endure)

I heard there is a plan ti vuilt a summer white house (more like a castle frok the image i seen) in colorado which i would bet will be very very expensive

I heard there is a plan ti vuilt a summer white house (more like a castle frok the image i seen) in colorado which i would bet will be very very expensive

John Brisben Walker's proposed Summer White House, to be built on top of Mt. Falcon, Colorado, at at cost of $300,000 ($6 million in 2021 dollars)
photo3.jpg

[ "All work and no play makes Woodrow Wilson a dull boy..." ]

John Brisben Walker's proposed Summer White House, to be built on top of Mt. Falcon, Colorado, at at cost of $300,000 ($6 million in 2021 dollars)
photo3.jpg

[ "All work and no play makes Woodrow Wilson a dull boy..." ]
Yup that which is just why? (It gives off an eagle nest kinda vibe tbh)

For sort of a mini-Atlantropa, there's also the "Reber Plan," which would have filled in part of the San Francisco Bay, and turned the San Pablo bay into a freshwater lake:

This one actually got quite a bit of attention, and even public support, but a 1953 study by the Army Corps of Engineers—which involved the construction of a hydraulic scale model of the bay, which was in professional use at least as late as 2000—proved it to be impractical. (I seem to remember it saying that the seawalls, as proposed, wouldn't be able to endure)
That doesn't look that different as the Afsluitdijk in the Netherlands, which turned the Zuiderzee into the IJsselmeer. Afterwards part of the IJsselmeer was reclaimed from the sea and turned into polderland. So I wouldn't say the idea was too unrealistic to work.

In March 1942, LIFE Magazine published a few scenarios on an Axis invasion of the United States:
I made a thread about it a few months back. I will see if I can find it.
Okay here is the thread:

800px-Reber_Plan.jpg

There was a plan like that for Vancouver as well. Build a set of locks at the Second Narrows and enclose a huge basin, plus reclaim a ton of land. I expect it was doable, but I'm glad it was not done.

Plan of the dam and locks:

Map for context. The dam would have been at the current location of the Second Narrows Bridge, where Highway 1 crosses Burrard Inlet.

Last edited: