Proposed flags that were never adopted thread

ccgU9AG.png

Gay Texas Flag

Boy howdy do I have some rejected Canadian flags.

flag-light.jpg

First up, this design represents 'the perpetual light' shining on Canada.

canadian-flag-anniversary-3.jpg

This flag, fairly obviously, is based off Canada as an icy country, hence the snowflake-esque leaf, which makes it look like the flag of a region from a Pokemon game.

canadian-flag-10.jpg

Meanwhile, this design features the maple leaf alive for once, and luckily the instructions state that the one with the seals is for official use, so the real design is less cluttered.

canadian-flag-5.jpg

Speaking of seals and clutter, if Canada adopted this flag it would have the most colours on any flag in the world, surpassing Belize. Oh, and guess what the different stripes represent. Difficult, isn't it?

canadian-flag-beaver.jpg

Meanwhile, this flag opts for a beaver as well as the maple leaf, which is nice.

Tomorrow, expect more, and worse, Canadian flags. I'd add more but I'm worried I'm breaking image posting rules, and it's getting late.

Crazy Boris

Banned
ps!2a.gif

Flag for Palestine proposed by Munir Dakak in 1929

There should be more flags with fruit on them.

ps!3.gif

Another Palestinian proposal by Assma Tubi, featuring a very strange cross. This emblem of a Christian cross in a crescent is a common thing on these Palestinian flag proposals from the mandate period.

ps!10.gif

And finally, a proposal from Theodore Saruf. The crescent and shooting star is supposed to symbolize Muslim-Christian fraternity somehow.

I know Kosovo had many proposed flags that were never used. Some bad and some that look pretty interesting to be fairly honest.

rs!kos46.gif
rs!kos47.gif

Proposed flags created by Nexhmedin Llapashtica
These two flags were solely created just to be purposely so identical to Albania's flag. And they also look like the flag of Kosovo's presidential standard (albeit in red instead of a blue background).
rs!kos49.gif

Proposed flag #49
This was made by some dude named Liridona Gjuka. Obviously this flag just looks horrible since it literally makes someone easily confused into thinking it is the flag of Albania instead of Kosovo. Should I also mention that it has sort've a fascist vibe to it especially with how the combination of red and black in the certain way it was done looks more like something out of a world where the Axis Powers won. (Quite frankly Napoleon08 could use this for the flag of Albania in his timeline of What Madness Is This - Redux)
rs!kos50.gif

Proposal flag #50 or "Horrible Bosnian flag inspiration"
This proposed flag is horrible and surely was created as a inspiration to Bosnia and Herzegovina flag (for the fact the reason it has a triangle in it is due to Bosnia being shaped like a triangle geographically), so I assume the creator named Safet Krasniqi wanted to take a shot of inspiration by drawing Kosovo as a diamond since it looks like one, but then added in a bunch of stars (which I have no clue what they represent) and a white band on the diamond (which I haven't a clue what that suppose to represent either).
rs!kos57.gif
rs!kos58.gif

Proposal flag #57 and Proposal flag #58
These two flags here was created by a person named Valentina Elshani, what exactly the colors are suppose to represent is unknown (probably once again has to due with Albanian heritage). For Flag 1 it isn't said what the five blue stars are suppose to represent in Kosovo (perhaps the subdivisions or the five major ethnic groups besides Albanians?) For Flag 2 it looks totally bizarre and as if it was a flag of an alternate Japan from yet again a world where the Axis Powers won, rather than a flag for Kosovo (or Albania).
rs!kos56.gif

Proposal flag #56 or I like to call "The Tuvan approach"
This flag was designed by a guy named Rexhep (awesome first name not gonna lie) Miftari. And as you can tell it looks like a ugly version of the flag of Tuva with the worst way of design. Once again I have no damn idea what the two stars represent (Albanians and Serbs?). I have to say it seems like were seeing a trend with stars on the proposed flags.
rs!kos55.gif

Proposal flag #55
This particular flag was designed by Shqipe Ajeti and was designed to have 13 blue stripes and a circle of 12 white stars (no clue what the stars represent ONCE AGAIN). This flag looks like an alternate flag for an American Cuba (if Cuba was made into a state of the US) due to the exact similar colors to Cuba's flag. Perhaps Ajeti had a obsession for Castro or Cuba who knows.
rs!kos54.gif

Proposal flag #54
This one isn't that bad looking, and quite frankly can work out perfectly fine for the actual flag of Kosovo. Then again if one never saw it before it would easily look like some flag combination of Austria and Albania (or perhaps a imaginary flag for Albanian diaspora in Austria, you never know where the Albanians are outside of Albania). For me I wouldn't say it be my favorite out of the proposed flags of Kosovo so far, but I would have to say it be alright to use for the flag of Kosovo in a different timeline.
rs!kos51.gif
rs!kos52.gif
rs!kos53.gif

Proposals made by Agron Mulliqi
All of three of these flags are quite interesting, but something I wouldn't think would look good when flown in the air honestly. As you can tell the double-headed eagle is a trend in most of these proposed flags since it represents the Albanian majority of Kosovo. However the one thing I do like is ancient mask or pottery in it though since it really is nice to see someone showing Kosovo's ancient history before it became even the nation of Kosovo. Quite frankly if this was a flag with only that ancient artifact on it then I would dig it.
rs!kosdg.gif

DioGuardi's proposed flag for Kosovo
This flag was created by Joseph J. DioGuardi who was the founding president of the Albanian American Civic League (AACL), founded in 1989. DioGuardi made it using inspiration from Albania's famous double-headed eagle and from the US flag (with the red stripes of course). He felt it would be a flag that would represent all Albanians around the globe and would something that be easily recognizable for Albanians. Also another reason it takes inspiration from the US flag is mainly due the American role in Kosovo War. The flag was even famously shown to former President George W. Bush during his visit to Albania in 2007. But for it to be a proposed flag for Kosovo it just doesn't seem right whatsoever since it once again would be a good looking flag for Albania rather than Kosovo. Yes Kosovo has an Albanian majority, but I think the usage of the double-headed eagle is so overused that it be really confusing to foreigners (I mean for instance to some who arent good with flags could easily mistake the flag of New Zealand as being the flag of Australia).
rs!kosc2.gif

Valon Syla's proposed flag
As simple and boring it might look to some at first glance, it looks very original and easy to identify without mistaking it for being the flag of Albania. Although it looks like a copy of France's tricolor, it's colors being black and red (and white) are well done to show the colors that represent the Albanian people of Kosovo. I wouldn't think it be my favorite out of the proposed flags so far, but I give it a 6/10 for being original.
rs!kosc7.gif

"Dardanian idol" proposed flag
This flag is horribly bad it makes all the others look like a picnic in the park, only thing that really shows some potential is the ancient idol being so called "Dardanian" or some Illyrian idol of some sort.
rs!kosc4.gif
rs!kosc5.gif

Besnik Nuli's proposed flags
Flag 1 of Nuli's creation looks almost identical to the current flag we know that is of Kosovo, being that it literally is made in the geographic detailed shape of Kosovo while being in the same blue background (in a different blue shade, but close enough though to be somewhat similar to the one we know). As for the one of the right for Flag 2, I assume Besnik Nuli took inspiration from Bulgaria's flag but with the colors of the Albanian people instead.
rs!kosf3.gif

"Spiral Tricolor" proposed flag
Out of any of the proposed flags on this list I made so far this has to be my favorite one, mainly due to the black spiral in the center of the tricolor. And despite what you might be thinking "Did Valon Syla design this too?", he (or she?) actually didn't. In fact interesting enough nobody even knows who exactly created this proposed flag, but it was liked by a lot of people that it ended up becoming one of the Final Three flags during the Kosovo flag contest. Also I have no clue what the spiral is suppose to represent, but I would assume has something to due with Ancient Illyrian culture perhaps. In a way it kind of looks like the spiral logo for the SEGA Dreamcast.
rs!kosf1.gif

Mentor Shala and Besnik Nuli's proposed flag
This collaborated designed flag by Mentor Shala and Besnik Nuli was done only with five stars (to represent Kosovo's five main ethnic groups with the larger star up top symbolizing Albanians being the dominant majority), all of which are yellow taken full inspiration from the flag of the European Union. The white colored geographical shape of Kosovo just like the one in Nuli's proposal was combined along with the blue background. As a result this exact flag ended up becoming the winner to the Kosovo flag contest and was modified somewhat to the current flag of Kosovo we know and recognize.

I know Kosovo had many proposed flags that were never used. Some bad and some that look pretty interesting to be fairly honest.

rs!kos46.gif
rs!kos47.gif

These two flags were solely created just to be purposely so identical to Albania's flag. And they also look like the flag of Kosovo's presidential standard (albeit in red instead of a blue background).
rs!kos49.gif

Proposed flag #49
This was made by some dude named Liridona Gjuka. Obviously this flag just looks horrible since it literally makes someone easily confused into thinking it is the flag of Albania instead of Kosovo. Should I also mention that it has sort've a fascist vibe to it especially with how the combination of red and black in the certain way it was done looks more like something out of a world where the Axis Powers won. (Quite frankly Napoleon08 could use this for the flag of Albania in his timeline of What Madness Is This - Redux)
rs!kos50.gif

This proposed flag is horrible and surely was created as a inspiration to Bosnia and Herzegovina flag (for the fact the reason it has a triangle in it is due to Bosnia being shaped like a triangle geographically), so I assume the creator named Safet Krasniqi wanted to take a shot of inspiration by drawing Kosovo as a diamond since it looks like one, but then added in a bunch of stars (which I have no clue what they represent) and a white band on the diamond (which I haven't a clue what that suppose to represent either).
rs!kos57.gif
rs!kos58.gif

Proposal flag #57 and Proposal flag #58
These two flags here was created by a person named Valentina Elshani, what exactly the colors are suppose to represent is unknown (probably once again has to due with Albanian heritage). For Flag 1 it isn't said what the five blue stars are suppose to represent in Kosovo (perhaps the subdivisions or the five major ethnic groups besides Albanians?) For Flag 2 it looks totally bizarre and as if it was a flag of an alternate Japan from yet again a world where the Axis Powers won, rather than a flag for Kosovo (or Albania).
rs!kos56.gif

Proposal flag #56 or I like to call "The Tuvan approach"
This flag was designed by a guy named Rexhep (awesome first name not gonna lie) Miftari. And as you can tell it looks like a ugly version of the flag of Tuva with the worst way of design. Once again I have no damn idea what the two stars represent (Albanians and Serbs?). I have to say it seems like were seeing a trend with stars on the proposed flags.
rs!kos55.gif

Proposal flag #55
This particular flag was designed by Shqipe Ajeti and was designed to have 13 blue stripes and a circle of 12 white stars (no clue what the stars represent ONCE AGAIN). This flag looks like an alternate flag for an American Cuba (if Cuba was made into a state of the US) due to the exact similar colors to Cuba's flag. Perhaps Ajeti had a obsession for Castro or Cuba who knows.
rs!kos54.gif

Proposal flag #54
This one isn't that bad looking, and quite frankly can work out perfectly fine for the actual flag of Kosovo. Then again if one never saw it before it would easily look like some flag combination of Austria and Albania (or perhaps a imaginary flag for Albanian diaspora in Austria, you never know where the Albanians are outside of Albania). For me I wouldn't say it be my favorite out of the proposed flags of Kosovo so far, but I would have to say it be alright to use for the flag of Kosovo in a different timeline.
rs!kos51.gif
rs!kos52.gif
rs!kos53.gif

Proposals made by Agron Mulliqi
All of three of these flags are quite interesting, but something I wouldn't think would look good when flown in the air honestly. As you can tell the double-headed eagle is a trend in most of these proposed flags since it represents the Albanian majority of Kosovo. However the one thing I do like is ancient mask or pottery in it though since it really is nice to see someone showing Kosovo's ancient history before it became even the nation of Kosovo. Quite frankly if this was a flag with only that ancient artifact on it then I would dig it.
rs!kosdg.gif

DioGuardi's proposed flag for Kosovo
This flag was created by Joseph J. DioGuardi who was the founding president of the Albanian American Civic League (AACL), founded in 1989. DioGuardi made it using inspiration from Albania's famous double-headed eagle and from the US flag (with the red stripes of course). He felt it would be a flag that would represent all Albanians around the globe and would something that be easily recognizable for Albanians. Also another reason it takes inspiration from the US flag is mainly due the American role in Kosovo War. The flag was even famously shown to former President George W. Bush during his visit to Albania in 2007. But for it to be a proposed flag for Kosovo it just doesn't seem right whatsoever since it once again would be a good looking flag for Albania rather than Kosovo. Yes Kosovo has an Albanian majority, but I think the usage of the double-headed eagle is so overused that it be really confusing to foreigners (I mean for instance to some who arent good with flags could easily mistake the flag of New Zealand as being the flag of Australia).
rs!kosc2.gif

Valon Syla's proposed flag
As simple and boring it might look to some at first glance, it looks very original and easy to identify without mistaking it for being the flag of Albania. Although it looks like a copy of France's tricolor, it's colors being black and red (and white) are well done to show the colors that represent the Albanian people of Kosovo. I wouldn't think it be my favorite out of the proposed flags so far, but I give it a 6/10 for being original.
rs!kosc7.gif

"Dardanian idol" proposed flag
This flag is horribly bad it makes all the others look like a picnic in the park, only thing that really shows some potential is the ancient idol being so called "Dardanian" or some Illyrian idol of some sort.
rs!kosc4.gif
rs!kosc5.gif

Flag 1 of Nuli's creation looks almost identical to the current flag we know that is of Kosovo, being that it literally is made in the geographic detailed shape of Kosovo while being in the same blue background (in a different blue shade, but close enough though to be somewhat similar to the one we know). As for the one of the right for Flag 2, I assume Besnik Nuli took inspiration from Bulgaria's flag but with the colors of the Albanian people instead.
rs!kosf3.gif

"Spiral Tricolor" proposed flag
Out of any of the proposed flags on this list I made so far this has to be my favorite one, mainly due to the black spiral in the center of the tricolor. And despite what you might be thinking "Did Valon Syla design this too?", he (or she?) actually didn't. In fact interesting enough nobody even knows who exactly created this proposed flag, but it was liked by a lot of people that it ended up becoming one of the Final Three flags during the Kosovo flag contest. Also I have no clue what the spiral is suppose to represent, but I would assume has something to due with Ancient Illyrian culture perhaps. In a way it kind of looks like the spiral logo for the SEGA Dreamcast.
rs!kosf1.gif

Mentor Shala and Besnik Nuli's proposed flag
This collaborated designed flag by Mentor Shala and Besnik Nuli was done only with five stars (to represent Kosovo's five main ethnic groups with the larger star up top symbolizing Albanians being the dominant majority), all of which are yellow taken full inspiration from the flag of the European Union. The white colored geographical shape of Kosovo just like the one in Nuli's proposal was combined along with the blue background. As a result this exact flag ended up becoming the winner to the Kosovo flag contest and was modified somewhat to the current flag of Kosovo we know and recognize.
https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/rs-kosad.html#con

In case you guys are curious to where exactly I found all of these flags.

More Canadian flags for y'all.

canadian-flag-1.jpg

Given that one of the reasons for changing the Canadian flag was to include the Quebecois population who felt excluded by the Union Jack ensign, it's no surprise that a lot of flags used multiple elements for balance.

canadian-flag-anniversary.jpg

Speaking of compromise, this flag is probably the ultimate paean to that virtue. You see the little boxes with writing in them round the flag? Those are to indicate which flag would go where to represent the many peoples of Canada. If chosen, this flag would make Canada look like a demented attempt at a World-State.

canadian-flag-anniversary1.jpg

From too many design elements, we go to too few design elements! Admittedly, there's no divisive symbolism on the flag, but it makes Canada look like a burger chain, or a city in Utah.

Finally, no discussion of Canadian prospective flags would be complete without THE EYE FLAG
eye-flag.jpg

Aside from the whole 'looks like a totalitarian state' thing, it's interesting that whatever lunatic sent this in decided that specific pole instructions were needed, a level of detail you don't normally get with flags of sane countries.

Crazy Boris

Banned
bo!2006.gif

Bolivian proposal from 2006 incorporating the Wiphala, this possible flag has been floated around since Morales was elected, but it's never been adopted.

es!mrq2a.gif

A proposed Royal Standard for Spain, designed by Cesar Manrique. Manrique was an architect with no knowledge of flag design, and it shows.

ru!qlo.gif

A national flag for Russia proposed by Andre Khlobytsin in 1997. The red is supposed to simultaneously represent monarchism and communism, and the white dots are peas, which are supposedly an old Slavic pagan symbol. Perfect for pagan pea farmers with paradoxical political positions.

us!cs9a.gif

And finally, a medieval-looking Confederate proposal by Alabama's William T. Riddle, featuring a shield with cotton plants, and a number of stars that doesn't match up with the number of CSA states at all for some reason.

Boy howdy do I have some rejected Canadian flags.

View attachment 461646
This flag, fairly obviously, is based off Canada as an icy country, hence the snowflake-esque leaf, which makes it look like the flag of a region from a Pokemon game.

Tomorrow, expect more, and worse, Canadian flags. I'd add more but I'm worried I'm breaking image posting rules, and it's getting late.

I sort of like this one. Spruced up a bit and it would be good alternate flag. Also it could be the flag chosen to show more inclusivity to the Quebecois given these are essentially Quebec's colours (or alternatively, if Quebec took over Canada, this would be the flag...)

rs!kos46.gif
rs!kos47.gif

The first one with the black underneath gives me an anarchist vibe. Which given how Kosovo supposedly was in the first few years, might have been ironically (and sadly) fitting.

rs!kos49.gif

Proposed flag #49

Agreed. Still somewhat of an anarchist vibe, but definitely more of a fascist vibe.

rs!kos50.gif

At a guess, I'd wager that the white band on the diamond is supposed to represent Kosovo's minorities with the yellow in the diamond representing the majority Albanians. As for the stars, it's very clearly the stars from the Flag of Europe as there are 12 stars which only makes sense in that context since Kosovo doesn't have 12 ethnic groups, nor does it have 12 districts or municipalities (it has far more than 12 municipalities).

rs!kosc4.gif
rs!kosc5.gif

I assume Besnik Nuli took inspiration from Serbia's flag for Flag 2 since the colour order is the same (Red-Blue-White for Serbia and Red-Black-White for his second flag). Which makes sense since Kosovo was seceding from Serbia and this might have been Besnik Nuli's nod to Kosovo gaining independence from Serbia and also as a way to be somewhat inclusive of the Serbian minority.

This seizure-inducing abomination was apparently suggested as a flag for the European Union by some Dutch artist (insert jokes about drugs):

xos719oc7awz.png

You remember the New Zealand Flag referendum a few years ago? A lot of variations on the silver fern, but my favorite was this one:

640px-NZ_flag_design_Koru_%28Black%29_by_Andrew_Fyfe.svg.png

Not sure what was the symbolism (some Maori design?) but I find the spiral and black-and-white contrast visually appealing.

84176E5E-F4B5-4C58-A41C-9DD6FE611FDA.jpeg
This flag made by an Aucklander named James Gray is one of the best proposals submitted for the New Zealand flag contest. The use of contrasting colors and national symbols such as the kiwi and the fern made this flag one of the most qualified contenders.

This flag made by an Aucklander named James Gray is one of the best proposals submitted for the New Zealand flag contest. The use of contrasting colors and national symbols such as the kiwi and the fern made this flag one of the most qualified contenders.

Oh so the "laser kiwi" was for real? I thought it was a r/ vexillology joke.

I think this one is my favorite of the NZ proposals. Black/White/Blue is a really nice color combo, I think.

Yeah, there were plenty of good choices in this referendum. But nope, gotta keep the Union Jack... ok people, it's your country, but I find this conservatism a bit disappointing.