Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Romania according to poet and politician Cezar Bolliac, 1855
Rum%C3%A2nia_v%C4%83zut%C4%83_de_Cezar_Bolliac.jpg

I dont know if this would really count, but it does feature a significant territorial change in a sense. 520 nukes.
Considering the frankly disturbing amount of proposals that involve the use of "peaceful nuclear detonations," I'd say so

Considering the frankly disturbing amount of proposals that involve the use of "peaceful nuclear detonations," I'd say so
There was a brief period of time I would say from 1950-1970 where proposals like this were quite common. Most of them seem to be made by fringe politicians or people and they were quickly dismissed by any scientist or academics for their impracticality and dangerous nature. I don’t really know why so many existing it might be the idea of easily blowing up big canals or creating mega projects with nukes seemed worth the cost to some people who did not fully understand the consequences something like that would have.

It isnt exactly a map but i wanted to share it and didnt know where else to put it.

Its a document laying out a proposed new way to organize the united kingdom based around the hoax book Oera Linda, created by a group which follows that book like its a religion called the Daughters of Freya

Its very detailed and definetely interests me, so ye

Attachments

• A_New_Settlement_for_the_United_Kingdom.pdf
    470.1 KB · Views: 244
In January 1990, right during the German unification, the city of Rostock proposed to become its own Hanseatic city state within the reunited Federal Republic of Germany, pointing to Bremen as precedent. However the state government of Bremen then managed to convince the Rostock city council not to pursue this further due to the enormous cost of running a state with a small population, compared to the benefits.
Still, reunited Germany was pretty close to having 17 states instead of OTL's 16.

After this was resolved, on May 22 1990 Rostock applied to become Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's state capital but when it came to a vote in the landtag in October, it lost to Schwerin 40 to 25.

Last edited:
In January 1990, right during the German unification, the city of Rostock proposed to become its own Hanseatic city state within the reunited Federal Republic of Germany, pointing to Bremen as precedent. However the state government of Bremen then managed to convince the Rostock city council not to pursue this further due to the enormous cost of running a state with a small population, compared to the benefits.
Still, reunited Germany was pretty close to having 17 states instead of OTL's 16.

After this was resolved, on May 22 1990 Rostock applied to become Mecklenburg-Vorpommern's state capital but when it came to a vote in the landtag in October, it lost to Schwerin 40 to 25.
I bet Lübeck wouldn't have been too happy if that happened.

I bet Lübeck wouldn't have been too happy if that happened.
Yeah, given that Lübeck's bid to restore itself to city-state status was denied to even be attempted because the loss of sovereignty happened in 1937 as part of the Großhamburggesetz, which is after the honestly arbitrary date of the start of WW2 in 1939...

If it were up to me, I'd love to see a Hanseatic League State, consisting of the cities of Bremen, Bremerhaven, Hamburg, Lübeck, and Rostock!

Yeah, given that Lübeck's bid to restore itself to city-state status was denied to even be attempted because the loss of sovereignty happened in 1937 as part of the Großhamburggesetz, which is after the honestly arbitrary date of the start of WW2 in 1939...

If it were up to me, I'd love to see a Hanseatic League State, consisting of the cities of Bremen, Bremerhaven, Hamburg, Lübeck, and Rostock!
Did you know that Brunswick applied to get it's Hanseatic City title back to the New Hanseatic League?
Those bozos denied us for the reason of "Well uhm. You had too much history outside of being an Hanseatic City."

That's the thanks for being one of the most important cities and one of the few which attended the last Hanseatic Meeting...

HJR

Banned
Griffiths India.png

Predictions from "The Future of India" by P.J. Griffiths, published in 1947 (traced by myself). Griffiths predicted that New Delhi would be unable to project power into the South, allowing the 'big princes' of Hyderabad, Mysore and Travancore to maintain independence and eventually aspire the breakaway of the entire Madras Presidency as the 'South Indian Confederacy' (whether this would include the southern princely states I'm not sure, but I erred on the side of independence, as any splinter from a state too weak to incorporate the princes would hardly be able to do so by itself). Kashmir also remains independent, and Pakistan, with a weak central government, suffers the breakaway of East Pakistan and the NWFP as Bengal and "Pathanistan", respectively. Everything else in India is pretty much as IOTL.

Not sure of the realism of it--in "India After Ghandi" Ramachandra Guha says there was a 'possibility' of collapse along similar lines, but that hardly means it's likely, or even plausibly. The most realistic change, IMO, is Travancore staying independent, seeing as it was economically independent IOTL and really only merged into India under threat of force. I'd be amazed if Hyderabad survived for any amount of time, given how it was teetering on the edge of religious war between Hindus and Muslims by the time of Indian incorporation IOTL.

View attachment 831031
Predictions from "The Future of India" by P.J. Griffiths, published in 1947 (traced by myself). Griffiths predicted that New Delhi would be unable to project power into the South, allowing the 'big princes' of Hyderabad, Mysore and Travancore to maintain independence and eventually aspire the breakaway of the entire Madras Presidency as the 'South Indian Confederacy' (whether this would include the southern princely states I'm not sure, but I erred on the side of independence, as any splinter from a state too weak to incorporate the princes would hardly be able to do so by itself). Kashmir also remains independent, and Pakistan, with a weak central government, suffers the breakaway of East Pakistan and the NWFP as Bengal and "Pathanistan", respectively. Everything else in India is pretty much as IOTL.

Not sure of the realism of it--in "India After Ghandi" Ramachandra Guha says there was a 'possibility' of collapse along similar lines, but that hardly means it's likely, or even plausibly. The most realistic change, IMO, is Travancore staying independent, seeing as it was economically independent IOTL and really only merged into India under threat of force. I'd be amazed if Hyderabad survived for any amount of time, given how it was teetering on the edge of religious war between Hindus and Muslims by the time of Indian incorporation IOTL.
I can imagine the massive number of wars and genocides that would happen because of this.

View attachment 831031

Interesting that Kutch joins Pakistan and West Bengal never reunites with the east. Did Nagaland break away?

View attachment 831031

This looks like India's missing some of the Seven Sisters. I assume Arunachal got taken by China, did some join Burma or something? It looks like Pakistan got Cutch which is strange because that state is pretty Hindu. I suspect Hyderabad is going to be experiencing some religious conflicts also, as 56% of the population are Hindus being ruled over a Muslim elite that makes up only about 13% of the population. That South Indian Confederacy is also almost certainly going to break up, probably into Tamil and Telugu states, while the Kannada and Malayalam portions are annexed by Mysore and Travancore/Cochin respectively. An independent Tamil state might also worsen the ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka. That Indian state would probably be fine and relatively stable though, unless some the Northeastern separatist movements succeed.

HJR

Banned
Wouldn't Pathanistan be interested in joining Afghanistan? Assuming Kabul would accept them, of course...

Not entirely sure how stable that Madras will be.
My first thought when I read that was 'Oh, so Afghanistan 2?'. Given that Afghanistan never recognized the Durand Line IOTL, I imagine that Pathanistan will become a province of Afghanistan fairly quickly.
Not really a lot, Just because they're Dravidians doesn't mean they get along. Not to mention Hyderabad was in full religious war between Hindus and Muslims at this point.
This looks like India's missing some of the Seven Sisters. I assume Arunachal got taken by China, did some join Burma or something? It looks like Pakistan got Cutch which is strange because that state is pretty Hindu. I suspect Hyderabad is going to be experiencing some religious conflicts also, as 56% of the population are Hindus being ruled over a Muslim elite that makes up only about 13% of the population. That South Indian Confederacy is also almost certainly going to break up, probably into Tamil and Telugu states, while the Kannada and Malayalam portions are annexed by Mysore and Travancore/Cochin respectively. An independent Tamil state might also worsen the ethnic conflict in Sri Lanka. That Indian state would probably be fine and relatively stable though, unless some the Northeastern separatist movements succeed.
I think the South Indian Confederacy is pretty much doomed as well--once you've embraced principles of secession, there's no region for the minority parts of your country not to jump as soon as they get the chance. Depending on how the actual government functions, this could turn out as anything from Yugoslavia-in-India to an EU-style arrangement between the ethnic states and surviving princely states--I have no real background in the region to say one way or the other. I do think that the Tamils having more influence--either as their own country, or as a more powerful voting bloc in the SIC--would fan the flames in Sri Lanka.

Griffith's description of the Northeast was pretty vague. With a weaker India I assumed that the Chinese/Tibetans would seize Arunachal Pradesh, and Nagaland....wasn't actually mentioned in the source text, so I guess that was an error on my part. In fairness, the Naga seem to have been fairly interested in independence, so it's not entirely impossible.

Griffith's description of the Northeast was pretty vague. With a weaker India I assumed that the Chinese/Tibetans would seize Arunachal Pradesh, and Nagaland....wasn't actually mentioned in the source text, so I guess that was an error on my part. In fairness, the Naga seem to have been fairly interested in independence, so it's not entirely impossible.
Manipur might also go independent in this scenario given that its an ancient kingdom and the last Maharaja was coerced into signing the Merger Agreement. Manipur was also basically demoted at that time from an autonomous Princely State to the equivalent of a union territory under direct rule from Delhi. There is also a history of insurgency in the region calling for Manipuri independence. Actually, that describes basically the whole of the Northeast, so I would expect independence for the lot in this scenario.

Apparently (according to Wikipedia which sources a French paper that I can't read) after WWI, Cardinal Mercier, Primate of Belgium, unsuccessfully campaigned to have the LoN Mandate of Palestine given to Belgium. Presumably it failed because the British and French already had interests in that area (and possibly because someone remembered what happened the last time an international conference awarded Belgium colonial land), but one wonders about the future of Palestine had his efforts somehow miraculously succeeded.

EDIT: Source

one wonders about the future of Palestine had his efforts somehow miraculously succeeded.
BREAKING NEWS: Belgium brings peace to the Middle East! After yesterday’s release of an ambassadorial statement by the Kingdom of Belgium to the peoples of its colony in the Holy Land, the heads of the religious and ethnic groups of the area immediately met in an emergency conference. This afternoon, it concluded with a formal cessation of hostilities and the establishment of a program for the peaceful partitioning of settlements and payment in reparations for damages between them. The ambassadorial statement is said to have read, in full, “Behave. Remember the Congo.”