Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I am looking to make a map project containing all man-made macro-engineering proposals that can be seen from a world map/space, so please recommend me proposals that are not on this small list!

The criteria I came up with, is that they must be proposals that have been made in real life with serious intent, no jokes, however for the sake of convenience, I would be willing to hear your own proposals for such macro-engineering projects that can change the world map, but I am unlikely to put them on a map, I strictly want to hear ones that actually came from real life.
macroengineering.png

This WorldA shows the following:
Atlantropa & New African Lakes & Suez Canal Extension (Mediterranean Sea & Central Africa, 1920s-1960s; the most famous one, and no, Atlantropa was not a Nazi plan)
Qattara Depression Project (Egypt, 1927-1970s)
Red Sea Dam (Middle East & East Africa, 2007)
Northern River Reversal (Siberia & Central Asia, 1930s-1986)
Rampart Dam (Alaska, 1954-1985)

Not shown on the map yet, looking for assistance, you can make your own since I suck at it:

Sahara sea (North Africa, 1880s-present)
Northern European Enclosure Dam & the Doggerland Project (Western Europe, 1930s-present)

Disclaimers and credits:

I did NOT made the Siberian lake on the WorldA, nor the Chad & Congo Basins, the Siberian lake was made by @Mr. Bubbles on page 164 of this thread, and the Central African Basins were made by Zauberfloete on DeviantArt - all credits go to its creators, not me!

Edit 1: Fixed wrong colors and added
the Rampart Dam originally made by KitFisto1997 on DeviantArt.

Last edited:
I am looking to make a map project containing all man-made macro-engineering proposals that can be seen from a world map/space, so please recommend me proposals that are not on this small list!

The criteria I came up with, is that they must be proposals that have been made in real life with serious intent, no jokes, however for the sake of convenience, I would be willing to hear your own proposals for such macro-engineering projects that can change the world map, but I am unlikely to put them on a map, I strictly want to hear ones that actually came from real life.
View attachment 819367
Atlantropa (Mediterranean Sea, 1920s-1960s; the most famous one, and no, this was not a Nazi plan)

Not made yet, looking for assistance: Sahara sea (1880s-present)

View attachment 819367
Atlantropa (Mediterranean Sea, 1920s-1960s; the most famous one, and no, this was not a Nazi plan)
(Disclaimer: I did NOT made the Siberian lake on the WorldA, it was made by @Mr. Bubbles on page 164 of this thread, all credits go to this user, not me!)
Not made yet, looking for assistance: Sahara sea (1880s-present)
The Rampart Dam in Alaska would have created a reservoir the size of lake Erie

Attachments

• Rampart_Dam_drainage.jpg
    Rampart_Dam_drainage.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 391
SHIT I am so sorry! I deleted my post because I forgot to put on the Chad lake and Congo lake basins and I am working on them right now! @CalBear
@Burton K Wheeler is there a way to undelete my post? but I will update the map as soon as the post is undeleted.

Edit: I have finished them, but this Alaska dam looks difficult to make it on WorldA given its projection, I will wait for CalBear to undelete my comment, I had no idea people would reply to it so quickly.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
SHIT I am so sorry! I deleted my post because I forgot to put on the Chad lake and Congo lake basins and I am working on them right now! @CalBear
@Burton K Wheeler is there a way to undelete my post? but I will update the map as soon as the post is undeleted.

Edit: I have finished them, but this Alaska dam looks difficult to make it on WorldA given its projection, I will wait for CalBear to undelete my comment, I had no idea people would reply to it so quickly.
post restored.

Is there any good map of the Armistice of Moudros borders floating around?
This map is generally correct, Turkish army in syrian and iraq fronts had completely collapsed and in full retreat so situation was very fluid, a Turkish-Azerbaijani army under Turkish command was also occupying Azerbaijan, some of Northern Iran and most of Dagestan disquised as Islamic Army of the Caucasus, because of the Brest-Litovsk treaty Turkish army couldn't legally be there. Red and white/red striped parts are the line on the day of the armistice, the other colours show turkish claims after the war, Turkish position was keeping everything they controlled on the day of the armistice, islands they had temporarily given to other countries, the lands they got from russia with the brest-litovsk treaty and bulgarian thrace which had a turkish majority

Attachments

• Misak-i_milli_tr.png
    Misak-i_milli_tr.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
This map is generally correct, Turkish army in syrian and iraq fronts had completely collapsed and in full retreat so situation was very fluid, a Turkish-Azerbaijani army under Turkish command was also occupying Azerbaijan, some of Northern Iran and most of Dagestan disquised as Islamic Army of the Caucasus, because of the Brest-Litovsk treaty Turkish army couldn't legally be there. Red and white/red striped parts are the line on the day of the armistice, the other colours show turkish claims after the war, Turkish position was keeping everything they controlled on the day of the armistice, islands they had temporarily given to other countries, the lands they got from russia with the brest-litovsk treaty and bulgarian thrace which had a turkish majority
Thank you. I was hoping to see fleshed out though what exactly the Ottomans held in modern-day Syria. In that regard, the map seems vague.

Any Shasta state would be too underpopulated IMO, should just be annexed to California (and that way California and Colorado would be of comparable size).
Colorado was also super unpopulated, plus its not like it can't just remain as a territory for a while. When I calculated the respective populations (back when I was operating under the assumption that the borders followed county borders), Shasta had ~6,000 people in 1850, and ~50,000 people in 1860, while Colorado had ~12,000 people in 1850, and ~48,000 people in 1860. (this smaller) California went from ~230,000 people to ~620,000 people.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was hoping to see fleshed out though what exactly the Ottomans held in modern-day Syria. In that regard, the map seems vague.
I will try to get something more detailed soon, British and Arap forces drove straight from Damascus to Aleppo very fast and they were stopped just outside Aleppo, in rest of Syria it was a gradual unorganized withdrawl as troops didnt want to be left behind, usually british and arab forces entered towns just after the turkish troops left

These maps are from Turkish General Staff's book, i hope its useful, as you will see there isn't always contact between Turkish and British positions as the Turkish army was trying to retreat faster than the British to establish a defensible line. Last map shows the areas under Turkish army control after the Mondoros Armistice as they had to retreat from Cilicia and Musul Province according to the clauses in the treaty

The Rampart Canyon dam is just the beginning. Just the rest of the Yukon main stream dams (Woodchopper upstream, and some combination of Ruby, Kaltag and Holy Cross downstream) would amount to about as much reservoir surface area as Rampart Canyon. As well as that, you've got the dams on the Yukon's tributaries, the Crooked Creek dam on the Kuskokwim, Copper Canyon down by Valdez, and the Yukon-Taiya scheme. The latter would reduce output of the Yukon main stream dams, but produce power closer to markets.

If you want to go really overboard, there's NAWAPA, which wanted to turn the entire Rocky Mountain Trench into a reservoir, and the competing GRAND project to dam James Bay and raise the level of the Great Lakes.

In Australia, you've got the Bradfield scheme to divert rivers westwards and fill Lake Eyre, which almost certainly wouldn't work but that never stopped anyone from having a grand plan.

If you want to go really overboard, there's NAWAPA, which wanted to turn the entire Rocky Mountain Trench into a reservoir, and the competing GRAND project to dam James Bay and raise the level of the Great Lakes.

In Australia, you've got the Bradfield scheme to divert rivers westwards and fill Lake Eyre, which almost certainly wouldn't work but that never stopped anyone from having a grand plan.
Worlda patches for both of these, if possible, would be great. Gotta love these geography changing projects.

Colorado was also super unpopulated, plus its not like it can't just remain as a territory for a while. When I calculated the respective populations (back when I was operating under the assumption that the borders followed county borders), Shasta had ~6,000 people in 1850, and ~50,000 people in 1860, while Colorado had ~12,000 people in 1850, and ~48,000 people in 1860. (this smaller) California went from ~230,000 people to ~620,000 people.
I meant moreso in the long term, though of course that's impossible for anyone to predict at the time of admission.

I do know there's something Qbam patches for Atlantropa and the African Sea proposals, but I've never seen one for

View attachment 819557
Atlantropa & New African Lakes (Mediterranean Sea & Central Africa, 1920s-1960s; the most famous one, and no, Atlantropa was not a Nazi plan)
Rampart Dam (Alaska, 1954-1985)

Not shown on the map yet, looking for assistance, you can make your own since I suck at it:

Sahara sea (North Africa, 1880s-present)
Northern European Enclosure Dam & the Doggerland Project (Western Europe, 1930s-present)

Disclaimers and credits:

I did NOT made the Siberian lake on the WorldA, nor the Chad & Congo Basins, the Siberian lake was made by @Mr. Bubbles on page 164 of this thread, and the Central African Basins were made by Zauberfloete on DeviantArt - all credits go to its creators, not me!

Edit 1: Fixed wrong colors and added
the Rampart Dam originally made by KitFisto1997 on DeviantArt.
Great work!

Also, I've seen the African Seas and Atlantropa in patches for QBAM, but I've never seen anyone do that for the Northern River Reversal. If anyone wants to get on that, I would be so thankful.

I do know there's something Qbam patches for Atlantropa and the African Sea proposals, but I've never seen one for

Great work!

Also, I've seen the African Seas and Atlantropa in patches for QBAM, but I've never seen anyone do that for the Northern River Reversal. If anyone wants to get on that, I would be so thankful.
Thanks a lot, so glad to hear critiques on my works! also I often see some Atlantropa WorldA maps on the internet with a "Kalahari Lake" on Botswana and Namibia, but was this an actual plan that was considered by Herman Sörgel, or anyone else? as far as I remember he only specifically mentioned filling the Chad and Congo basins.

Thanks a lot, so glad to hear critiques on my works! also I often see some Atlantropa WorldA maps on the internet with a "Kalahari Lake" on Botswana and Namibia, but was this an actual plan that was considered by Herman Sörgel, or anyone else? as far as I remember he only specifically mentioned filling the Chad and Congo basins.
It was Ernest Schwarz that proposed the flooding of the Kalahari in 1919. Some good sources on this:
An Empire of Rivers: The Scheme to Flood the Kalahari, 1919–1945
The Kalahari and Its Possibilities, written by Schwarz himself
The Kalahari Scheme as the solution of the South African drought problem, also written by Schwarz