Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

It would have been interesting to have southern British Togoland join with French Togoland but northern British Togoland join Ghana.

It would have been interesting to have southern British Togoland join with French Togoland but northern British Togoland join Ghana.
Indeed. While I didn't mention it in the post, though I did consider doing so in my addendum, is that it might prevent or significantly delay the construction of the Akosombo Dam and thus the creation of Lake Volta... Which would have a few interesting influences on Ghana (and Togo, which also gains most of its electricity through it nowadays).

Indeed. While I didn't mention it in the post, though I did consider doing so in my addendum, is that it might prevent or significantly delay the construction of the Akosombo Dam and thus the creation of Lake Volta... Which would have a few interesting influences on Ghana (and Togo, which also gains most of its electricity through it nowadays).
I'm wondering too about Cameroon and Nigeria parallels.

Did anyone proposed to partition Lybya between Egypt and Algeria after WW2 ? I remember there was something like this but I might be mistaken.

Never heard of that, nor can I find anything about such a proposal

It seems like an extrapolation based on what was actually happening at the time. The Fezzan, since it temporalily fell under French control and bordered the Saharan parts of Algeria and had a generally low population, wouldn't look out of place attached to Algeria. Tripolitania is culturally more Maghrebi than Cyrenaica is. Cyrenaica meanwhile was seen by Egypt as a buffer (and non-Sanusi living in Cyrenaica were very sympathetic to Egypt), however contemporary Egyptian policy seems to have been support for a united abd independent Libya rather than partition or long-term mandate status...

It seems like an extrapolation based on what was actually happening at the time. The Fezzan, since it temporalily fell under French control and bordered the Saharan parts of Algeria and had a generally low population, wouldn't look out of place attached to Algeria. Tripolitania is culturally more Maghrebi than Cyrenaica is. Cyrenaica meanwhile was seen by Egypt as a buffer (and non-Sanusi living in Cyrenaica were very sympathetic to Egypt), however contemporary Egyptian policy seems to have been support for a united abd independent Libya rather than partition or long-term mandate status...
@James the AH Fan @Iserlohn ok so no concrete plans.

Another war aims and proposal that I heard about from Azerbaijani guy (ok more like a claim he made probably) is that Iran tried or wanted to try to annex Azerbaijan but besides this https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/04/1...sed-iran-considers-annexing-azerbaijan-again/ I haven't seen anything concrete.

Speaking of Iran, what was their plan for Iraq had they won the war against Saddam? Partition, puppetization or something else ?

Another war aims and proposal that I heard about from Azerbaijani guy (ok more like a claim he made probably) is that Iran tried or wanted to try to annex Azerbaijan but besides this https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/04/1...sed-iran-considers-annexing-azerbaijan-again/ I haven't seen anything concrete.

Speaking of Iran, what was their plan for Iraq had they won the war against Saddam? Partition, puppetization or something else ?
Now I only did a preliminary search, looking through a bunch of article previews and abstracts, but it looks like the Islamic Republic of Iran was hoping to fully remove Ba'athists from power in Iraq. Now I don't know, due to lack of access to any of these papers, if there was either a plan to put in a Shi'a theocratic regime or politicians from the Iran-allied Syran Ba'athists as the new Iraq government, but puppetization seems to have been the goal.

Also I also have been unable to find anything concrete on Iranian irredentism against Azerbaijan, too.

Now I don't know, due to lack of access to any of these papers, if there was either a plan to put in a Shi'a theocratic regime or politicians from the Iran-allied Syran Ba'athists as the new Iraq government, but puppetization seems to have been the goal.
The plan was for a Shia Islamic Republic of Iraq, there is no way that Iran would put in a Arab nationalist government in Iraq.

The then pro-British government in Tehran led by Vossug ed Dowleh made endeavours amongst Baku's leadership to join Iran.[22] In order to promote this idea, Vosugh ed Dowleh dispatched two separate Iranian delegations; one to Baku and one to the Paris Peace Conference in 1919.[22] The delegation at Baku, at the behest of Zia ol Din Tabatabaee, held intensive negotations with the leadership of the Musavat party during the increasing chaos and instability in the city.[22] During the closing stages, an accord was reached between them; however, before the idea was presented to Vossug ed Dowleh in Tehran, the Communists took over Baku and terminated the Musavat-Ottoman rule.
Apparently, there were some proposals made by Iran as Azerbaijan was being invaded by the soviets and Azerbaijan even accepted to try and save themselves however the soviets got to them before it could come into effect.
Source from Wikipedia Azerbaijan–Iran relations

"Taylor had a map he carried around with him called Greater Liberia," said Douglas Farah, an analyst and author who has written extensively about Mr. Taylor's links of criminal and terrorist networks. "It included parts of Guinea, diamond fields in Sierra Leone. It wasn't something abstract to him. He had a very clear idea of what he was trying to achieve. He had a grandiose plan, and he almost succeeded."
Does anyone know anything more or have any descriptions of what Charles Taylor's plans for "Greater Liberia" were?

Does anyone know anything more or have any descriptions of what Charles Taylor's plans for "Greater Liberia" were?
I have done a bit of digging:

1) I found a source claiming that early on Liberia "had valid claims to the coastal areas northwest of the Mano River as far as Sherbro Island in Sierra Leone, landing site of the first colonists from the United States" (Background to the Liberia and Sierra Leone implosions by William R. Stanley). While this predates Taylor's plans for Greater Liberia, it is a starting point. This territory was confirmed to be part of Sierra Leone in 1883. Sherbro is also known as Bonthe, as you can see in the map below.

2) In an additional article I found, Boundaries and Conflict in the Mano River Region of West Africa by Silberfein and Conteh , it says: "When Taylor created the entity known as Greater Liberia, a combination of territory under his control (most of Liberia), some that he controlled indirectly (eastern Sierra Leone) and areas where he had influence and ambition for expansion (southeastern Guinea) he was definitely trying to recapture a moment in the nineteenth century, when Liberia had been poised to dominate its hinterland". The article does also include this map which shows an approximation of Greater Liberia, though I don't know if Taylor was ever more ambitious than what this map shows. It does however include the town of Yenga in Sierra Leone, which is near the Liberia-Guinea-Sierra Leone tripoint, and which according to the article is close to a suspected diamond mine and is otherwise useful for fishing and logging. The town was also disputed between Guinea and Sierra Leone.

1668508846687.png

Note: I did add those red watermarks to make it harder for this map to be shared online; I have access to it via my university library and I want to be able to share it in good conscience.

Last edited:

1) I found a source claiming that early on Liberia "had valid claims to the coastal areas northwest of the Mano River as far as Sherbro Island in Sierra Leone, landing site of the first colonists from the United States" (Background to the Liberia and Sierra Leone implosions by William R. Stanley). While this predates Taylor's plans for Greater Liberia, it is a starting point. This territory was confirmed to be part of Sierra Leone in 1883. Sherbro is also known as Bonthe, as you can see in the map below.

2) In an additional article I found, Boundaries and Conflict in the Mano River Region of West Africa by Silberfein and Conteh , it says: "When Taylor created the entity known as Greater Liberia, a combination of territory under his control (most of Liberia), some that he controlled indirectly (eastern Sierra Leone) and areas where he had influence and ambition for expansion (southeastern Guinea) he was definitely trying to recapture a moment in the nineteenth century, when Liberia had been poised to dominate its hinterland". The article does also include this map which shows an approximation of Greater Liberia, though I don't know if Taylor was ever more ambitious than what this map shows. It does however include the town of Yenga in Sierra Leone, which is near the Liberia-Guinea-Sierra Leone tripoint, and which according to the article is close to a suspected diamond mine and is otherwise useful for fishing and logging. The town was also disputed between Guinea and Sierra Leone.

View attachment 789439

Note: I did add those red watermarks to make it harder for this map to be shared online; I have access to it via my university library and I want to be able to share it in good conscience.
thanks a million! im honestly half tempted to email douglas farah to see if he can shed anymore light but this seems like it could be it!

View attachment 789439

That 1889 line is interesting... How far east did it really go?

That 1889 line is interesting... How far east did it really go?

Knowing the British, to Formosa.

Now the Silberfein and Conteh doesn't go into detail, in fact it sources the map from a different article I don't really have access to... But I think I can make an inference based on this map I found!

1668586518426.png

It's from an article titled "THE DEFINITION OF THE INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARIES OF NORTHERN GHANA 1888 -1904", written in 1973 by a man named R. B. Bening, and I found it on JSTOR, so it's easily accessible enough.
As you can see, it shows the British claims for the Gold Coast Colony... But not just that, it also shows their attempt at establishing a land connection between modern Ghana and modern Nigeria in the hinterland of northern Benin and southeastern Burkina Faso.

Based on this map, the 1889 Demarcation Line might extend to the Niger River.

I recently made this map for another thread, but it actually fits perfectly in this thread as well. It is a proposal of modest border changes "to improve the defences of Thorn, Soldau, and the Upper Silesian coal mines." This after a German victory against Russia in WW1. Source

proposal_Hoffmann.png

I recently made this map for another thread, but it actually fits perfectly in this thread as well. It is a proposal of modest border changes "to improve the defences of Thorn, Soldau, and the Upper Silesian coal mines." This after a German victory against Russia in WW1. Source

Much more reasonable than the ridiculous Polish Border Strip proposal; a really interesting and useful resource!

Are there pictures about Britain's plan to divide Eritrea between the Ethiopian Empire and British Sudan?

From this twitter thread; it was called the Bevin-Sforza Plan and apparently it failed by one vote in the UN at the time in 1949 due to the Haitian delegate (who voted against the instructions of the Haitian president at the time):

EX6N8_YXQAAcAAv

Now if this could be rendered in Worlda and QBAM then given how close the vote apparently was this would be ripe grounds for alternate history stories that wanted to introduce minor changes that have big consequences on the map.