Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Entente is there REALLY nice to Bulgaria... while I can maybe see Romania and Serbia (damn, still no sea port or Dalmatia isn´t going to Italy?) compensated for their losses, im less sure about Greece /strip of northern Epirus for western Thrace? not seems as good deal to me)
Also, Austria annexing all of Serbia (and Albania) is hillarious

Why exactly is Bulgaria gaining territory? Were they expecting Bulgaria to be on the Allied side?

Also, why is Serbia losing land to the south if the Allies win?
I believe they were, in fact, expecting Bulgaria to join the war on the Entente's side, or at least stay neutral. From what I've found it seems that the Entente repeatedly tried to offer parts of Macedonia to Bulgaria in exchange for military cooperation or neutrality; in exchange, Serbia would get more territory from Austria-Hungary. The Serbian government, of course, categorically refused to consider this (Wikipedia claims Serbia's insistence on keeping Macedonia even at the expense of Bosnia was based on a geopolitical theory that "held that the dominant position in the Balkan Peninsula would be held by the country that controlled the valleys of the rivers Morava and Vardar"; the citation for this statement seems at least a little questionable but it sounds plausible to me). Even as late as 1918 there are American-published predictions of post-war Europe that show Bulgaria gaining territory: the Rand McNally & Co. "Peace Map of Europe" shows Bulgaria picking up most of East Thrace and a little bit of Greek Macedonia, while "A Europe of liberty and peace for every nation" from F. A. Ferris & Company has Bulgaria give up their Aegean coastline and some western territory in exchange for Serbian Macedonia south of the Vardar plus the area around Monastir/Bitola, as well as a decent amount of (inland) Thrace and Greek Macedonia, and most of Dobruja.

Also, why is Serbia losing land to the south if the Allies win?
The Entente negotiations with Bulgaria largely hinged on Britain, France and Russia convincing Serbia to part with Southern Macedonia, which was the main sticking point between getting Bulgaria into the Entente; offers were also made for border adjustments with Greece and Romania, and of course most of Ottoman Thrace was on the table, but the Bulgarians really wanted Southern Macedonia and saw it as non-negotiable. Problem is that the Serbians saw it as non-negotiable as well and were not willing to part with it.
Cue the Central Powers walking in....
Edit: Ninja'd by @FancyHat

Last edited:

Crazy Boris

Banned
Also, Austria annexing all of Serbia (and Albania) is hillarious

RIP Albania 1912-14

Albania: “Finally, after so many years, we are free of the Ottoman yoke, surely, our independence shall never be snuffed out again!”

*sound of a gunshot in the direction of Sarajevo followed by Habsburg troops marching south*

Albania: “zot dreqi”

I don't think outright annexation was on the table, but Austria absolutely wanted Albania to be a protectorate or puppet state. Said vassal Albania also might have gained parts of Kosovo and southern Montenegro.

In general Austrian war aims, while fluid as with all Central Powers, were relatively conservative compared to those of Germany or Bulgaria. This was out of both necessity--the war was (correctly) viewed as a war of survival--and tensions between the Austrian and Hungarian halves of the diarchy. The most ambitious plan was for Russian Congress Poland to become a third kingdom, with Austria ceding Galicia, but Germany never would have allowed this. Annexing part or all of Serbia/Montenegro was on the table but in the end I think they would have become vassal states, as would Albania, out of a (again correct) belief that major annexations would be more trouble than they would be worth. The OTL Treaty of Bucharest is probably a good model for how Austria-Hungary would treat its defeated foes--in the same way that Hungary only annexed a few strategic mountain passes in the Carpathians, Austria would probably settle for mild border adjustments in Veneto rather than trying to reannex the entire province.

Last edited:
Here's a third proposal for the division of Korea between the north and the south (orange line), which would award the south the Kaesong industrial area but would give the north more land in Gyeonsang. For context, the black line is the 38th parallel and the blue line the current border.

1627114574578.png

Crazy Boris

Banned
According to reddit this one was printed and released in 1917

View attachment 668613

A restored commonwealth at the end of WWI would be interesting, but between the Bolsheviks and other Russian civil war factions just on the border, nationalists and other factions from all areas objecting to a union, and Germany probably wanting German-majority areas back, how long would it actually last, if it could even be implemented at all?

A restored commonwealth at the end of WWI would be interesting, but between the Bolsheviks and other Russian civil war factions just on the border, nationalists and other factions from all areas objecting to a union, and Germany probably wanting German-majority areas back, how long would it actually last, if it could even be implemented at all?

It would probably only last until a German and a Russian politician meet. They might just utter two short sentences:
"1914 borders?"
"1914 borders."

Found this while falling down a wikipedia hole on Montenegro and its prince-bishops:
Petar I conceived a plan in 1807 to revive a Serbian Empire ("Slaveno–Serb empire"), which he informed the Russian court.[28][29][30][31] Earlier, in June 1804, Habsburg Serb metropolitan Stefan Stratimirović informed the Russian court of the same plan.[32] Petar I's plan was to unite Podgorica, Spuž, Žabljak, the Bay of Kotor, Herzegovina, Dubrovnik and Dalmatia with Montenegro.[28] The title of Serbian emperor would be held by the Russian emperor.[28] The French–Russian peace treaty thwarted the plan.[28] After the French conquered Dalmatia, they offered Petar I the title of "Patriarch of all of the Serb nation or all Illyricum" under the condition that he stop cooperation with Russia and accept a French protectorate, which he declined, fearing eventual Papal jurisdiction.[29] The Metropolitanate of Cetinje began exerting influence towards Brda and Old Herzegovina, which considered Montenegro as the leader for liberation.[29] While his reputation and influence reached the surrounding lands, he increasingly directed himself to Revolutionary Serbia as the backbone for liberation and unification.[29] The project is included in several historiographical works.
The plan for such a Mega-Montenegro is said to have been scuttled by the Peace of Tilsit, but i doubt that was the case as the enlargement of such state would necessitate conflict with the Ottomans.

Last edited: