Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I remember seeing a HOI4 video where someone joked about the fact that a full Kurdistan in that game doesn't quite touch any surrounding bodies of water.

This... this is the exact opposite of that.

Kurdistan not touching Black Sea/Mediterranean/Gulf of Basra/Caspian is basically accurate:
Idioma_kurdo.PNG

Kurdish_languages_map.svg

Kurdish-inhabited_area_by_CIA_%281992%29.jpg

Maunsell%27s_map%2C_Pre-World_War_I_British_Ethnographical_Map_of_eastern_Turkey_in_Asia%2C_Syria_and_western_Persia_01.jpg

Kurdish-inhabited_areas_of_the_Middle_East_and_the_Soviet_Union_in_1986.jpg

Inspired by a recent discussion from the Map Thread:

On November 27th Hans-Adam II. of Liechtenstein confirmed the rumor that in 1867 the Russian Empire tried selling the colony of Russian America/Alaska to the principality, though that he was unsure on whether documents relating to that offer still exist.

Using modern demographic data and the current sizes of Liechtenstein and the state of Alaska after the 1903 Hay-Herbert Treaty, Alaska is 10736.6 times bigger than the principality, and has almost 19 times the population, too.

On November 27th Hans-Adam II. of Liechtenstein confirmed the rumor that in 1867 the Russian Empire tried selling the colony of Russian America/Alaska to the principality, though that he was unsure on whether documents relating to that offer still exist.

Using modern demographic data and the current sizes of Liechtenstein and the state of Alaska after the 1903 Hay-Herbert Treaty, Alaska is 10736.6 times bigger than the principality, and has almost 19 times the population, too.
If this had gone through I doubt it'd actually become a full-on colony of Liechtenstein. It'd be impossible for them to administer, colonize, or exploit economically. I could see them trying to sell or lease it to the US or UK for a profit, or (less likely but more interesting) holding on to the title to the land but granting licenses to foreign mining and logging companies.

If this had gone through I doubt it'd actually become a full-on colony of Liechtenstein. It'd be impossible for them to administer, colonize, or exploit economically. I could see them trying to sell or lease it to the US or UK for a profit, or (less likely but more interesting) holding on to the title to the land but granting licenses to foreign mining and logging companies.
A Congo Free State in North America, about twenty years before the real deal. That would honestly create an interesting world if there were a strong precedent for areas of the world being personal property of powerful men, functioning as corporate quasi-states.

Crazy Boris

Banned

Months later, a Liechtensteiner representative arrives in Sitka

“Greetings, people of Alaska! I have arrived from Vaduz to inform you all that this land has been transferred from the Russian Empire to the Principality of Liechtenstein! Prince Johann II sends his regards to his new subjects and hopes for a bright future for us all in this new union!”

Everyone in Alaska: “What the hell is a Liechtenstein”

Why… why not, um… you know... If you’re going to expend that sort of effort, why not just… build something that has utility? You know… does something. Performs a task. Such as generating electricity.

powellmap.jpg

This old classic, Powell's design of the Western arid states done around river basins/drainage basins, to minimize water conflict in the new states. Doubtless would need adjustments to be practical, but the general philosophy is useful, and we may be sorely wishing that Powell got his way in a few decades.

Does anyone have a WorldA of this layingaround? Or if not, would anyone be so kind as to make one?

The best possible division for the Great Basin is to just see where the endorheic basins would overflow if filled. There's really basically 2 - Colorado, and Columbia rivers as potential end-points.

The best possible division for the Great Basin is to just see where the endorheic basins would overflow if filled. There's really basically 2 - Colorado, and Columbia rivers as potential end-points.
The Salt Lake Basin (and anything else that used to be part of Lake Bonneville) would overflow to the Snake/Columbia as it has happened before. Not sure about the rest.

Also, I'd say the Sacramento/San Joaquin River basin should be included as a possibility. Goose Lake for instance flows to the Pit River, which empties into the Sacramento.

Last edited: