Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

xsampa

Banned
Were there any plans for Britain annex more territory during the Opium Wars? I’ve heard Formosa was proposed

Were there any plans for Britain annex more territory during the Opium Wars? I’ve heard Formosa was proposed
The British negotiating guidelines for the treaty at the end of the First Opium War were "the islands of _________", literally an "insert new colony here".
I remember reading that others were proposed by the British negotiator, but I can't remember which ones right now.
The Chinese negotiator offered Hong Kong or Kowloon, but not both, and Hong Kong was chosen.

The British negotiating guidelines for the treaty at the end of the First Opium War were "the islands of _________", literally an "insert new colony here".
I remember reading that others were proposed by the British negotiator, but I can't remember which ones right now.
The Chinese negotiator offered Hong Kong or Kowloon, but not both, and Hong Kong was chosen.

Seem to recall Zhoushan being one of them.

I saw a map of what Menelik II claimed in eastern Sudan in 1891, but it's only accessible by a JSTOR PDF, can someone post it in high quality.
I posted it some eleven pages back:
9119fe6b-2533-4cc2-84ef-bef212d6ea57-jpeg.591492

Is the problem not being able to access the PDF or not being able to find a higher-quality version of the image?
I forgot it was posted here lmao

Also, was there any legitimacy to the KGC having Maximillian of Mexico as their leader? Or has this been made a trope by us Alt Historians?

So supposedly one of the reasons Rwanda was involved in the First and Second Congo Wars was the desire to create a "Greater Rwanda", an irridentist vision dominated by ideas of historic Rwandan expansion into neighboring areas. While I could not find any maps, using the few ressources which I could find in English (the article "Bringing History Back In: Past, Present, And Conflict In Rwanda And The Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo" by Gillian Mathys and "In the Aftermath of Genocide: the U.S. Role in Rwanda" by Robert E. Gribbin), I could at least deduce that Rwanda at least half-heartedly claimed at the very least Bukavu south of Lake Kivu, as well as the Virunga Mountains up to roughly Lake Edward. Again, the sources seem to be scarce and Rwanda never really pushed for it, but it would be fascinating to see if there are more detailed sources on this.

So supposedly one of the reasons Rwanda was involved in the First and Second Congo Wars was the desire to create a "Greater Rwanda", an irridentist vision dominated by ideas of historic Rwandan expansion into neighboring areas. While I could not find any maps, using the few ressources which I could find in English (the article "Bringing History Back In: Past, Present, And Conflict In Rwanda And The Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo" by Gillian Mathys and "In the Aftermath of Genocide: the U.S. Role in Rwanda" by Robert E. Gribbin), I could at least deduce that Rwanda at least half-heartedly claimed at the very least Bukavu south of Lake Kivu, as well as the Virunga Mountains up to roughly Lake Edward. Again, the sources seem to be scarce and Rwanda never really pushed for it, but it would be fascinating to see if there are more detailed sources on this.
Greater Rwanda.png

So, the Black Dragon Society were Japanese (ultra)-nationalists, but they also genuinely believed in Pan-Asianism. Japan would be the first among equals of course, but for them Pan-Asianism wasn't just a turn of phrase to justify Japan imperializing the rest of Asia.

In 1907 they suggested Japan create an uber-Korea as an ally...
3062_2238_4218.png

...but that obviously didn't pan out. In 1923 they pushed for the creation of a Japanese puppet state in the Russian Far-East, that would have been populated largely by Korean settlers and may have even had the former Korean royal family as heads of state.
unknown.png
yTEwAmrwu4Oj1K7NYWggnqw8WHRpLBmzsKk9aevzwBKtqQpv4tuNFGJILCGUeNS12N0Aqh4-YXYX-UkuIhA4UF_8TOXiX6qCJIYA.png

Sources: 大正日日新聞, March-April 1926, https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/kokusaiseiji1957/1982/71/1982_71_93/_article/-char/ja/, I also have access to a .pdf if anyone can read Japanese and wants to verify themselves.

Last edited:
So, the Black Dragon Society were Japanese (ultra)-nationalists, but they also genuinely believed in Pan-Asianism. Japan would be the first among equals of course, but for them Pan-Asianism wasn't just a turn of phrase to justify Japan imperializing the rest of Asia.

3062_2238_4218.png

...but that obviously didn't pan out. In 1923 they pushed for the creation of a Japanese puppet state in the Russian Far-East, that would have been populated largely by Korean settlers and may have even had the former Korean royal family as heads of state. I think they might have called it the Kingdom of Shen or Shenyang.
unknown.png
yTEwAmrwu4Oj1K7NYWggnqw8WHRpLBmzsKk9aevzwBKtqQpv4tuNFGJILCGUeNS12N0Aqh4-YXYX-UkuIhA4UF_8TOXiX6qCJIYA.png
but doesn't that text say greater korea/goryeo?

@Crying wont be second map more like Greater Manchuria? (at least in geographic sense... population wise it may have more koreans, or chinese, than manchus...)
Otherwise, thanks! Hopefully I use it one day :evilsmile:

3062_2238_4218.png

...but that obviously didn't pan out. In 1923 they pushed for the creation of a Japanese puppet state in the Russian Far-East, that would have been populated largely by Korean settlers and may have even had the former Korean royal family as heads of state.
unknown.png

Sources: 大正日日新聞, March-April 1926, https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/kokusaiseiji1957/1982/71/1982_71_93/_article/-char/ja/, I also have access to a .pdf if anyone can read Japanese and wants to verify themselves.
For a group of ultra-nationalists for a country that's been fighting Korea for centuries, they're awful friendly with the place. No wonder they never took off.