Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

There’s a far cry (revanchistically) between a state that fought to establish and create itself over decades or centuries and a state that was drawn up on a piece of paper by mandate. I guess a self-determination plebiscite is too dangerous, though.

France is going to be absolutely furious at the mere existence of Wallonia.

Clearly the problem is that France still exists. The solution is to break it up into Brittany, Occitania, and Gaul. Then none of them will have claims on Wallonia and everyone’s happy again.

Cut to - all of them have claims on each other. :p

Well, except Brittany - they'd be trying as hard as possible not to be noticed.

View attachment 559984
Roosevelt's proposals for France and Germany merged in a single post-war map of Europe. He wanted to merge Wallonia, Luexembourg and Northern France into a buffer state (with the original name of Wallonia). Borders for this state were never clearly defined so I just followed some department borders. If you guys know of any other woke plan from Roosevelt, tell me so I can add it to the map.
I am going to need a source for this. Perhaps it was a mix up with his apparent suggestion once that part of France be administered as occupied territory? And by adding it to the map, do you mean you are adding every proposal people connect to FDR on here? I mostly say am putting this here because of the post bringing up polio in relation to FDR, as I am both unsure if FDR came up with this proposal you said, and even if it were true that it had anything to do with dementia or illness. Though on a second read, I may have misinterpreted them. My other issues still stand.

Last edited:
View attachment 559984
Roosevelt's proposals for France and Germany merged in a single post-war map of Europe. He wanted to merge Wallonia, Luexembourg and Northern France into a buffer state (with the original name of Wallonia). Borders for this state were never clearly defined so I just followed some department borders. If you guys know of any other woke plan from Roosevelt, tell me so I can add it to the map.
Broke: German Alsace-Lorraine
Woke: French Alsace-Lorraine
Bespoke: Walloon Alsace-Lorraine

I am going to need a source for this. Perhaps it was a mix up with his apparent suggestion once that part of France be administered as occupied territory? And by adding it to the map, do you mean you are adding every proposal people connect to FDR on here? I mostly say am putting this here because of the post bringing up polio in relation to FDR, as I am both unsure if FDR came up with this proposal you said, and even if it were true that it had anything to do with dementia or illness. Though on a second read, I may have misinterpreted them. My other issues still stand.
(Both sources have been found on this map on Deviantart by Rheinbund)
And yes, my intention with the map is to get every proposal made by Roosevelt, related to each other or not, made during the war.

Last edited:
The source makes the proposal sound like it was Roosevelt at least half joking about it, not a serious written proposal.
Possibly, I'd say Roosevelt never expected his idea to actually become true. He did express his distrust towards De Gaulle in multiple ocasions, tho, so I think it's a possible "ideal outcome" from Roosevelt's mind. It's still a Proposal/War Aim that Didn't Happen, so I think it fits.

This may be something incredibly minor but after the American Civil War the United States contemplated buying Greenland, the Danish West Indies, and even Iceland, however by 1870 that idea failed to get through the Senate.

Now here's the fun part: Saint John and Saint Thomas, two of the three main islands which make up the Danish West Indies/the modern U.S. Virgin Islands, actually held a binding referendum in 1868 about a prospective sale to the USA and got passed with 98 percent of the vote (though the turnout was unknown). If the Senate had voted in favor of accepting that referendum result, the United States would've paid 7.5 million dollars for them. Saint Croix wouldn't have been included, but Denmark was very open about selling it to the US, too.

Dansk_Vestindia.png

In theory this could've even resulted in Denmark keeping St. Croix for a while, maybe even selling it to Germany like Copenhagen considered IOTL after the 1870 sale fell through.

This may be something incredibly minor but after the American Civil War the United States contemplated buying Greenland, the Danish West Indies, and even Iceland, however by 1870 that idea failed to get through the Senate.

Now here's the fun part: Saint John and Saint Thomas, two of the three main islands which make up the Danish West Indies/the modern U.S. Virgin Islands, actually held a binding referendum in 1868 about a prospective sale to the USA and got passed with 98 percent of the vote (though the turnout was unknown). If the Senate had voted in favor of accepting that referendum result, the United States would've paid 7.5 million dollars for them. Saint Croix wouldn't have been included, but Denmark was very open about selling it to the US, too.

Dansk_Vestindia.png

In theory this could've even resulted in Denmark keeping St. Croix for a while, maybe even selling it to Germany like Copenhagen considered IOTL after the 1870 sale fell through.

Which could mean that if somehow Germany got it, the British might take it if WWI occurs as in OTL

Which could mean that if somehow Germany got it, the British might take it if WWI occurs as in OTL
I would think that if the United States entered the war against Germany they'd be the one to annex it, but Germany having a naval base in the Caribbean would certainly add an interesting wrinkle to international affairs in the 19th and early 20th century.

I would think that if the United States entered the war against Germany they'd be the one to annex it, but Germany having a naval base in the Caribbean would certainly add an interesting wrinkle to international affairs in the 19th and early 20th century.

Sure but the question is when? If WWI occurs as in OTL then we have:

July 1914 - UK and Germany are at war
August to October 1914 - British (and Dominion) forces (alongside French and Japanese forces depending on the location) invade German colonies in Africa, Asia and the Pacific
April 1917 - the US enters the war

Now even if we play around with the dates, I don't see how the US annexes a German St. Croix if, like in OTL, it enters WWI two and half years after the British and other Allies had begun attacking German colonies. So either the US enters the war from the beginning (and I doubt a POD with the Danes selling St. Thomas and St. John to the US in 1868-1870 and selling St. Croix to the Germans around 1870-1900 would affect things globally enough that the broad strokes of US policy towards engagement in European affairs would change so substantially that they would enter a World War I analogue from the very beginning) or somehow the German colony and naval base of St. Croix is ignored or holds out until US entry (I doubt that would really be possible as the UK and France had more than enough resources to throw at it in the Caribbean if need be).

The only way I see the US gaining St. Croix in the scenario @Iserlohn outlined is if the Danes keep St. Croix until after 1914 and then consider selling it to Germany, however if WWI occurs as in OTL the Danes would be unlikely to even entertain the idea of selling St. Croix to Germany after 1914 since that would put their neutrality into question and raise the prospects of a British invasion of St. Croix anyway before the Germans could take possession of it. A Danish sale of St. Croix to Germany around 1870-1900 would likely see St. Croix remaining German until a British force sailing from Antigua lands on the island and takes it in August 1914 [EDIT: Doing a little more research it turns out in August 1914, the major British force in the West Indies was the 2nd Battalion of the West India Regiment (WIR) in Jamaica, which under normal conditions was due to rotate to Sierra Leone to replace the 1st Battalion around February 1915 - the battalions rotated on a three year basis with one stationed in the West Indies to do training and recruiting, a policy that started around the end of the 1800s and so is unlikely to substantially change with a German St. Croix. At this point in August 1914 the 2nd Bn WIR would almost have been ready for rotation anyway, and in OTL wasn't deployed to West Africa until the second half of 1915 to participate in the Cameroons campaign alongside the 1st Bn, thus it is likely 2nd Bn WIR along with any Royal Navy ships deployed in the West Indies (including Bermuda) that would take the island between August 1914 and October 1914, perhaps staging out of Antigua first]. The islands are then added to the British Virgin Islands eventually.

Last edited:
This is the most recent version of this idea, with the map coming from this Wall Street Journal article.

Also notice how the state would be the Douglass Commonwealth, meaning it could keep the DC abbreviation.
Unsurprisingly, it's very similar.
Most of the changes on the eastern end seem to be due to offices that are now part of the United States Capitol Complex that were not at the time in the earlier proposal.
Any subtractions are likely due to places no longer having federal or congressional buildings.
It now includes the Kennedy Center for reasons I don't quite understand.

Again the only population, for census purposes, would be the first family.

Given how current this is we should be careful with our discussion. The thread @Laqueesha posted the proposal I quoted in was closed because of it.

I assume in utter seriousness while the "state" name is Douglass Commonwealth, the "city" name is still to be Washington in every day terminology even if the City of Washington was officially entirely absorbed into DC (be it the District of Columbia or Douglass Commonwealth).

It now includes the Kennedy Center for reasons I don't quite understand.

Possibly due to being part of the Smithsonian in administrative terms and/or being a literally-national convention center? I figure they want as much 'national' stuff clustered together in the city for this federal enclave.

Last edited: