Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Well, the thorniest issue with Imperial or republican (not Bolshevik) Russia surviving the war is that it would surely be denied Constantinople, and may be quite displeased as a result. So, how long this settlement lasts is anyone's guess.
Russia might would settle for a demilitarized Straits, under international or joint-Entente occupation... but yeah, for how long....

Or direct Greek control on the European side and Turkish control of the Asian side with free passage through the straits.
Sort of what they had in mind by 1920, except that nominal possession of Constantinople and its peninsula would be left to the Turks, but demilitarized and under international "supervision":
326px-StraitsSevres.gif

Fixed Kholm governorate (using this map) and Kingdom of Hannover borders (using this map) as well as added more sections of Posen (using the same map) as most of Posen was Polish. Removed Hamburg from Kingdom of Hannover as well. Also used this map to find the subdivisions in Galicia from which to extend the Kholm border through Galicia to give an East/West split between Russia proper and Russian Poland. Also fixed the Bohemian borders with Austria using the first map (the one with the Kholm governorate borders):

View attachment 556513
Much appreciated improvements ^^

Heading in a bit of a different direction from Germanopolonia, Austroczechia, and Helvetoslovenia :) - it's too bad there isn't a separatist movement in today's Baden-Wurttemburg and Bavaria, and a corresponding irredentist movement in Austria, to restore the "tail feathers" to the Austrian Eagle... now THIS would give the cartographers absolute fits:

After 1815, many people in Southern Baden where disappointed, that a return towards Austrian rule was impossible, and that they had to remain inside Baden. But 200 years later, those people have a stronger local identification with Baden compared to the northern parts of the former Grand Duchy.
After World War 2, some few people in Southern Baden-Württemberg thought about joining Switzerland, but they never gained any importance.

ALL OF THE SWABIA!

Greater Swabia shall consist of

a) today's Baden-Württemberg and today's administrative district of Swabia
b) all territories of the early medieval duchy of Swabia (including parts of Switzerland and the Alsace)
c) all areas where the Allemanic and Swabian dialects are spoken
d) all settlements in the Americas founded by Swabian immigrants, areas inhabited by the Amish and the Hutterites and other additionally areas inhabited by the Texas Germans
e) New Swabia in the Antarctic
f) other territories???

I have to draw a map!

After 1815, many people in Southern Baden where disappointed, that a return towards Austrian rule was impossible, and that they had to remain inside Baden. But 200 years later, those people have a stronger local identification with Baden compared to the northern parts of the former Grand Duchy.
After World War 2, some few people in Southern Baden-Württemberg thought about joining Switzerland, but they never gained any importance.

Greater Swabia shall consist of

a) today's Baden-Württemberg and today's administrative district of Swabia
b) all territories of the early medieval duchy of Swabia (including parts of Switzerland and the Alsace)
c) all areas where the Allemanic and Swabian dialects are spoken
d) all settlements in the Americas founded by Swabian immigrants, areas inhabited by the Amish and the Hutterites and other additionally areas inhabited by the Texas Germans
e) New Swabia in the Antarctic
f) other territories???

I have to draw a map!
Weren't some of the Transylvanian Germans of the Siebenburgen Swabians as well? Seems like I read that the Austrians encouraged them to resettle there after Further Austria was dissolved :)

I wonder why the proposal dips in and out of streets so much. This proposal remind me of this:

Well, the popular Medieval America projects/threads DO have the federal government as the literal remnant of the American nation and as a Catholic Church analogue after the Roman Empire-style breakup of the Union. This is but more proof maybe they're onto something! :p

i'd imagine that kind of detail would be hammered out into something more practical if this ever went through

I suppose a few extra blocks of non-housing areas aren't going to make much of a difference. The border between the stated-DC and mini-DC is going to be all but invisible regardless.

The thing that gets me about retrocession is what does Maryland call what it gets back? Washington City?

Assuming that retrocession is what would happen*, the area would probably get called Washington County, or Columbia County, or something like that. It would be the fourth most populous county in Maryland in such a case. Baltimore is the only independent city in the state. The city itself probably just gets called the City of Washington, MD.

*which it 100000000% won't, given neither Maryland nor DC want such a thing anyway.

Last edited: