Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I haven't found a map of it, but here is a proposal from the early 1960s of a partition of Cyprus:

After this plan was rejected, a second was also discussed, but it was not taken seriously.

https://hellenicantidote.blogspot.com/2009/07/acheson-plan-for-partition-of-cyprus.html

Based on what was written there this is my best guess as to what it would look like using this as the base map. I found a Peristeria seasonal river that runs south of the Kyrenia range so I assumed the Peristeria they are referring to is somewhere north of that. The Turkish Sovereign Base Area is shown in Green (with the monastery area at the tip of the peninsula excluded). Everything in yellow and purple outside of the Sovereign Base Areas (green and red - for Turkish and British) would become part of Greece). Also shown are the Turkish enclaves of around 1973 (which I assume are a good proxy for the Turkish areas in 1963-1964) and the lines reached by the Turkish Army on July 22 (Orange - first offensive), August 8 (brown, prior to the second offensive) and August 16 (pink, after second offensive) in 1974:

1590170027191.png

I also found reference to other partition plans in the 1960s:

This one (from the first link) is actually close to what actually happened and roughly to the Acheson Plan I think:

1590170225821.png

Would be interesting to see what a reduced Kurdistan would look like in a scenario where some form of United Armenia and an Assyrian state managed to come into bring given the overlapping claims of all three groups (had the Armenians and Assyrians survived extermination to come under a successful Russian mandate).

Extreme Assyrian and Kurdish claims aside, based on the Assyrian population in 1910 (and even if they managed to survive massacres in the 19th century to feature a much larger population compared to OTL) could realistically see an ATL reduced Kurdish state still including Kirkuk and Erbil (along with everything south and west of those areas) as well as much of Iranian Kurdistan south of Lake Urmia.

It is possible to envision a successful ATL Assyrian would together with an ATL Greek Republic of Pontus and possibly Georgia, opt to merge with an ATL United Armenia into a sort of multi-ethnic West Asian Christian analogue of Czechoslovakia and Switzerland meets Intermarium (featuring elements of the OTL Transcaucasian Democratjc Federative Republic).
would be cool to see a rough sketch of this

And yet Switzerland survives.

S̘̪͙̹̰̒ͥ̈͐̀ͧ̉͞ẁͪ̇̈́̑͆͜ị̧͈̠̣̫̰͋̑̾̆ͫ́ẗ̶̹̙̦̖͔̰̳̊z̵̩ͣͫͯ̈ͮ̃e̔̃̐̑r̔l̵̼̟̥̼̼̒̍͆̚a̬̟͖̔̓͌̏ͬṇ͙̫̹̽͋̒͗̄ͩ͌͟d̰̤̪͖͕̤ͣ̑ͩ̅ͥ̊̓ ̣̔i͖̹̬̩͖ͯ͒̄̀͠ͅs͍͍͎̤̰̪̞ͮ̌̍̽͛̆͐ ̷̓̈́͋̿ͬ̇͒e͐́ͣ̏͜t̞ͨͣ̆ͤ́͑̓̕ͅe̿r̵̎͆̌͆̄̇̋n̊̔͏a̡͖͓̮͙l̳̆̿̓͗́.̺̥͉̤͉̯͛͊͛̉̚
̦̝̺̯͇̟͑̾̉̎͛ͭ͘
̺͕̙̇̈́ͤ̂ͮ̂̔͘S̡̲̠̣̞̠͓͎ͥ̈̏͒ͭ̋w̢̪̘̤ͣ͗ͤ̍̿i͒̌̓̓̈́͏̞̞͓̻ṱ̹͇̠̮̽̈́̾ͬͫͥz͕̲͕̃̎͑͐ͅe͍̥r̢̼͇̰͓͙̓̃̋l͇͈͚̹̩͈̒̃ͯ̈́͑̔̃a̶͓̳̺̜̭̗̯n̜͖̭̘͔̰̅̚d̼́ͮ̀ ̨͕͓̪̹ͩ̌ì̛͙̳͓ͩͤ̀͋ͯ̂ś͓͕͚̥ ̩̻̻̖͗̈̉ͬ̈͐ả̳̩̖͓͈̱͐̉ͫ͌͂ͬl̡ͬ͊̓̉͊͛l̫͂͗̆̑̅.ͫ͛̀̐

would be cool to see a rough sketch of this

Here is my very rough M-BAM based contribution:

Brown - (part of) Georgia: Not sure if they had claims on territories in the North Caucasus (beyond this very small map), let alone whether it is feasible in this ATL successful Sykes-Picot-Sazonov agreement allowing for a Russian mandate scenario.
Light Yellow - Whole Azerbaijan (that do not conflict with Armenian and Assyrian areas)
Red - United Armenia
Blue - Republic of Pontus: Partly derived from this map though not sure how accurate the rough map is
Purple (with Light Purple being claimed area) - Assyria: the claimed parts that do not conflict with the Kurds assumes a larger ATL Assyrian population that survived 19th century massacres
Light Green - A hypothetical Alevi buffer state (or Alevistan) derived from other provinces with significant numbers of Alevis (though it might become part of a rump Turkey depending on whether they avoid being one of a number of potential scapegoat populations subject to a Turkish Stab-in-the-back myth - the Donmeh being another)
Green - Kurdistan: Unsure whether there is more territory in Iraq and Iran the Kurds could claim, which does not conflict with the Assyrians and Azeris. Am also assuming the remaining Kurdish areas are under the British mandate (with them being keen not to let Kirkuk come under the Russian mandate).
Dark Red - Cilicia: Inspired by early successful French invasion and mandate to become a second Lebanon-like Christian majority state of sorts (with fairly significant Alawite and Alevi populations)
Light Blue - Cyprus

Armenia, Assyria and Kurdistan.jpg

Last edited:
Ottoman Empire claims for the Libyan hinterland in 1890
Ottomans declared these borders to other European Powers according decisions taken at the Berlin Conference of 1884 but nobody listened to them, British and French decided on the approximate modern Libya-Chad border in 1899 when they were diving up Sahara and Sudan between themselves but Ottomans continued to claim parts of Chad and Niger until they lost Libya to Italy in 1912.

libya hinterland.jpg