Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Chinese company: What if we built a Nicaragua canal in case the Panama canal ever became too small to handle shipping in the future?
Panama canal: Is expanded and everything goes fine.
Chinese company: :mad:
What's funny is that the Panama Canal's majority shareholder is also Chinese.

1589447898864.png

Th Sovereign State of Good Hope, declared by a Khoisan royal, Cornelius, was ignored by South Africa.
1589447982293.png

A second proposal by the United Liberty Alliance, seeking a federation of cantons for Khoisan, Coloureds and Anfrikaners /Boers in the western half of the country.
Apparently, TransOranje (Transvaal+ Oranje) is the subdivision planned for the Boers.

When India was divided, there were a few princely states that didn't want to join either country they were enclaved by or wished to remain independent. These included Jammu & Kashmir, Hyderabad, the Khanate of Kalat, Travancore, Bhopal, Jodhpur, and Junagarh, as well as several territories administered by foreign powers such as the French or Portuguese. Most either accepted ascension to one nation or the other, or were annexed by force.

I can't help but wonder how strange it would be to see an Indian subcontinent with a patchwork of states.

When India was divided, there were a few princely states that didn't want to join either country they were enclaved by or wished to remain independent. These included Jammu & Kashmir, Hyderabad, the Khanate of Kalat, Travancore, Bhopal, Jodhpur, and Junagarh, as well as several territories administered by foreign powers such as the French or Portuguese. Most either accepted ascension to one nation or the other, or were annexed by force.

I can't help but wonder how strange it would be to see an Indian subcontinent with a patchwork of states.
So basically this:
India Proposal 1947.png

Hyderabad is weird because it -to my cursory knowledge- had strong leadership, was very wealthy (at least its royals were) and had its own internal institutions like it's own currency, several industries, an airline and more, and so it could potentially have worked as an independent state... but it was also completely surrounded by India. I can't imagine how would that would have worked.

Another thing about Hyderabad, assuming I'm remembering properly, is that it's Muslim royalty wanted independence but the largely Hindu population wanted to join India, and the government was too democratic/responsive to the people to not join India with so much of it's citizenry arguing for it.

If opting out/federalizing seemed like an option a lot more of the monarchs would likely have gone that route. Mind you odds are we get a formal-or-otherwise customs union dominated by (and republican parties funded from) Delhi at best. OTOH this might break Pakistan....
What do you think would be the ideal way to federalize India?

If opting out/federalizing seemed like an option a lot more of the monarchs would likely have gone that route. Mind you odds are we get a formal-or-otherwise customs union dominated by (and republican parties funded from) Delhi at best. OTOH this might break Pakistan....
Most likely these nations would be protected by India and Pakistan economically and militarily.