Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

maxresdefault.jpg

Here we have Hitler's plan for the reconstruction of Berlin into a grand capital for his Thousand-Year Reich. Designed largely by Albert Speer, it would've featured the following, among many others:
* The Volkshalle- Probably the most famous and the centerpiece of the whole project, the Volkshalle was to be a massive domed amphitheater capable of seating 180,000 people at a time. At 290 meters (950 ft) tall, it would've been bigger than the Great Pyramid of Giza, and would have become host to its own microclimate just from the people inside breathing.
* A triumphal arc measuring 117 meters (383 ft) high and 170 meters (557 ft) wide, which would have been erected after World War II and would have included the names of all Germans who had fallen in past wars.
* Massive new systems of roads, autobahns, and railways. Berlin was to be reorganized along a central 5km (3 mi) boulevard known as the Prachtallee, or Victory Avenue.
* The former Anhalter Bahnhof made into a public swimming pool.

A few of the goals of the project, like widening Charlottenburger Chaussee and placing the Berlin victory column in the center, have stuck around to the present day.

Outside Berlin, a few other buildings the Nazis planned were:
* Deutsches Stadion- A massive stadium in Nuremberg, able to seat 405,000 people at a time. It was going to be host to all Olympic games for the rest of history had the Nazis won.
* The Museum to the Extinct Race- The Jewish Museum in Prague was to be reorganized and basically used as a propaganda tool to teach future generations a distorted view of the Jewish people and how the Nazis "freed" Europe from them.
I'm not an architect or engineer, so out of curiosity, in the event of a Nazi victory, how feasible would these construction plans actually be? I'm not sure about the Volkshalle in particular.

Yeah the Nazi Urbanists were really mad, and i can't imagine how badly this would age.

But there is something far more terrifying about a post war Victorious Nazi Urban Planning:

1571944711221.jpg

One of the Nazi Interpretation of the Heimatstil architecture ( a late 19th/early 20th movement in germanic countries to go back to a more traditional, folklore inspired architecture), ironically, was to create what are basically American-Style suburbs. The Nazi would have Suburban Sprawl.

But it gets worse, these traditional housing would be used in the colonies in the east, being "vernacular, traditional", almost close to nature, closer than cities at least, it could perfectly be used in the Reichkomissariats for german colonists, they won't exactly lack available land either.

Imagine one second, Moscow (or any other large soviet city, Moscow was supposed to be transformed into a lake but it's kinda unlikely, but you can replace it with Stalingrad or Leningrad), more than a decade after the defeat of the USSR, its population was forced to destroy it, all its buildings and old architecture destroyed, then those who survived that are forced to build these terrible, soulless Suburbs before being sumarilly killed.

It would be empty of course, the native population got exterminated and there aren't nearly enough German colonists to populate it, but it would sitll be built because of a mix of a giant money laundering project (Nazis were expert at corruption naturally), and a massive propaganda effort, it would be like those empty chinese cities around beijing but on a greater scale and with a far more terrible history.

Imagine these dead, empty suburbs spreading beyond the horizon, there would be no sound but the noise of wind and the occasional loudspeaker blaring propaganda, below them would be the bodies of millions of slaves.

I'm not an architect or engineer, so out of curiosity, in the event of a Nazi victory, how feasible would these construction plans actually be? I'm not sure about the Volkshalle in particular.
To put it lightly, not well.

They tested what was called the Schwerbelastungskörper, a huge concrete cylinder, to see if the arch, and by extension all of these other giant buildings, would be feasible in Berlin. The acceptable margin of error was only 6 cm. After 2 1/2 years, it had sunk by 19. Berlin's soft, marshy soil just wasn't capable of supporting these massive structures and, without a necessarily massive stabilization project, all of them would've gradually sunk had they ever been built.

Yeah the Nazi Urbanists were really mad, and i can't imagine how badly this would age.

But there is something far more terrifying about a post war Victorious Nazi Urban Planning:

1571944711221.jpg

One of the Nazi Interpretation of the Heimatstil architecture ( a late 19th/early 20th movement in germanic countries to go back to a more traditional, folklore inspired architecture), ironically, was to create what are basically American-Style suburbs. The Nazi would have Suburban Sprawl.

But it gets worse, these traditional housing would be used in the colonies in the east, being "vernacular, traditional", almost close to nature, closer than cities at least, it could perfectly be used in the Reichkomissariats for german colonists, they won't exactly lack available land either.

Imagine one second, Moscow (or any other large soviet city, Moscow was supposed to be transformed into a lake but it's kinda unlikely, but you can replace it with Stalingrad or Leningrad), more than a decade after the defeat of the USSR, its population was forced to destroy it, all its buildings and old architecture destroyed, then those who survived that are forced to build these terrible, soulless Suburbs before being sumarilly killed.

It would be empty of course, the native population got exterminated and there aren't nearly enough German colonists to populate it, but it would sitll be built because of a mix of a giant money laundering project (Nazis were expert at corruption naturally), and a massive propaganda effort, it would be like those empty chinese cities around beijing but on a greater scale and with a far more terrible history.

Imagine these dead, empty suburbs spreading beyond the horizon, there would be no sound but the noise of wind and the occasional loudspeaker blaring propaganda, below them would be the bodies of millions of slaves.
Well that certainly sounds creepy and soulless as hell. Sounds more like the setting for a horror movie than an urban project to aspire to.

Damn... that’s legitimately terrifying to imagine, I can almost picture the look of the place - and long after the probable self destruction of the Reich these empty sprawls would be a sort of Chernobyl like place assuming they aren’t repopulated.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Damn... that’s legitimately terrifying to imagine, I can almost picture the look of the place - and long after the probable self destruction of the Reich these empty sprawls would be a sort of Chernobyl like place assuming they aren’t repopulated.

Imagine 300 years later and it’s long been forgotten where these neighbourhoods came from but they’re populated now, and some kid decides to dig a hole in their backyard only to come across a huge graveyard under the entire town with tens of thousands of skeletons and the inhabitants slowly begin to piece together the grim origins of their home, it’s like something out of a horror movie.

Not feasible in the slightest. Berlin lays ontop marshy ground, in fact, Berlin's name is thought to be derived from the Old Polabian word for swamp. This poses a multitude of problems when it comes to construction, especially footings and load distribution. Berlin's soil isn't strong enough to withstand something as grand and heavy as the Volkshalle. There was a test conducted by Speer: the Schwerbelastungskörper, the tl;dr of the wiki page says that anything before a 6 cm drop would be deemed suitable for further construction, in actuality, the concrete cylinder sank 19 cm in 2 1/2 years.

EAU: One of the Putin administration’s most successful projects has been the formation of the Eurasian Economic Union, which Putin aims to expand into a competitor to the European Union, with a similar structure. In June of 2016 during a visit to China, he suggested that the Union could eventually encompass all of the post-Soviet states plus Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and Mongolia. By April of 2018 he had also sent invitations to Turkey and Syria. It appears that Putin’s goal here is to consolidate Russia’s allies in Eurasia under a single organisation in order the strengthen ties between them. It should be noted that for this to work, several nations would have to be pulled out of the Western Bloc.

Looks like this should be updated to include Albania and North Macedonia too.

https://www.silkroadbriefing.com/ne...north-macedonia-join-eurasian-economic-union/

That’s a good question. As some were upset at the size of Texas at the time, I could see it being its own state (sort of a rump Rio Grande Republic, in that it’s a republican government and would probably be called Rio Grande). More interesting is whether they’d go ahead with the plan to split California (including Baja, of course), because everyone was upset at how big it was OTL.
-snip-

Where's that map from?

Where's that map from?
It's from the excellent book Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States that Never Made It, by Michael J. Trinklein. It's got a bunch of maps and brief descriptions of states that were proposed but never came to fruition. It's pretty interesting, and was my first introduction to alternate history.

It's from the excellent book Lost States: True Stories of Texlahoma, Transylvania, and Other States that Never Made It, by Michael J. Trinklein. It's got a bunch of maps and brief descriptions of states that were proposed but never came to fruition. It's pretty interesting, and was my first introduction to alternate history.
Same. I got that book in like 4th grade.

That’s a good question. As some were upset at the size of Texas at the time, I could see it being its own state (sort of a rump Rio Grande Republic, in that it’s a republican government and would probably be called Rio Grande). More interesting is whether they’d go ahead with the plan to split California (including Baja, of course), because everyone was upset at how big it was OTL.
california_split_1859.jpg
I'm curious about why they wouldn't just divide California directly along the 36-30 line, given that the debate over whether California would be a free state or a slave state was the main reason for people calling for it to be divided (at least to my knowledge).

I'm curious about why they wouldn't just divide California directly along the 36-30 line, given that the debate over whether California would be a free state or a slave state was the main reason for people calling for it to be divided (at least to my knowledge).
To my knowledge that was about the plan originally, though maybe some plans deviated from that?

I think it's based on the counties that were almost entirely below 36-30...

ninel

Banned
Imagine one second, Moscow (or any other large soviet city, Moscow was supposed to be transformed into a lake but it's kinda unlikely, but you can replace it with Stalingrad or Leningrad)
What about a non-Soviet city?

The Pabst Plan (German: Neue deutsche Stadt Warschau, "New German city of Warsaw") was a Nazi German urban plan to reconstruct the city of Warsaw as a Nazi model city. Named after its creator Friedrich Pabst, the Nazis' "Chief Architect for Warsaw", the plan assumed that Warsaw, the historical capital of Poland and a city of 1.5 million inhabitants, would be completely destroyed and rebuilt as a small German town of not more than 130,000 inhabitants.

The_Pabst_Plan_Warsaw_1.jpg