Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I'm making a map about if the South African penal colonies were established, then were combined into one colony.

That would be an interesting way to establish a semi-realistic origin story for the Draka. Rather than beginning primarily as a refuge for American Loyalists, they are simply British convicts.

Why not? Australia wasn't widely called as such until the early 19th century, and it just means "southern land." Hell, they could call it Antarctica and it'd be fine.
But then Australia wouldn't be Australia. Even if penal colonies are established there, it'd still probably be called South Africa.

In Stirling's work, the Draka began as a colony in South Africa established to provide refuge for British colonists in what would become the United States after they lost the American Revolutionary War.
And as we all know, American Loyalists were the most evil people on Earth. :p

Why not? Australia wasn't widely called as such until the early 19th century, and it just means "southern land." Hell, they could call it Antarctica and it'd be fine.

Australia MEANS southern land but it DERIVES FROM the Latin name of the same meaning for a supposed southern continent. Australia IMPLIES a large southern continent that was not known to the precolonial Europeans. Antarctica is a possibility, it was used for other colonies in the southern hemisphere (like France Antarctique, in Argentina), though South Africa is more likely. Any other names that are generally southern (Antarctica, Antipodea), generally African (South Africa, outdated names for Africa like Lybia are possible too), or connect to a local tribe, or pseudo historical group, native name (Monomotapa/Mupata, Namibia, Namaland, Awambia [these are all assuming the colony starts around Namibia]) or major regional British colonial figure.

That would be an interesting way to establish a semi-realistic origin story for the Draka. Rather than beginning primarily as a refuge for American Loyalists, they are simply British convicts.

I'm making a map about if the South African penal colonies were established, then were combined into one colony.

I remember Alex Richard’s and Reagent Short timeline https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...s-oh-my-a-tliad-collaborative-motm-tl.320743/

It had a federal (in a very messy way) South Africa that was settled to the extent of Australia IRL by brits (while Australia is french ITTL), I think with such a POD you wouldn’t really be able to have a draka as the settler population wouldn’t be that big, just Australia sized (although it would likely have overwhelming influence in Southern Africa), also the whole situation and population and history of South Africa makes the establishment of a stable and united country harder than Australia IMO

Puritans somehow going to the cape, or a French colony in the cape settled by Hugenots both seem like they would be early enough and have the settler popualtion necessary to create a semi-draka that could annexes significant part of Southern Africa while having a settler population above the hundred million today.

There’s also the Luso-Draka, or Brazil-in-Southern-Africa, that can achieve similar results but likely requires a POD in the 1490s

I randomly found this map while trying to find information to edit my Worlda maps for the thread:
1280px-Borders_proposed_by_the_Count_of_Aranda.svg.png