Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I'm not entirely sure. The Ottomans were terrified of Armenian nationalism, especially because of their large population in eastern Anatolia, where it was thought they might ally themselves with the christian Russians against the empire. I'm guessing the idea with the client state was, more or less, to purge them from Ottoman territory proper, push whoever was left somewhere else, and economically exploit them.

Or it might not have been Armenian at all, but instead populated by Azeris. Either way is horrifying.

I fear that you are correct in that the Ottomans saw the Armenians as the Nazis saw the Poles: obstacles to be annihilated in the aftermath of victory.

post-85-1285923499.png

I found this when doing some research on the Georgian Civil War; this appears to be a map of the Confederation of Mountain Peoples of the Caucasus' claimed borders. I have no idea if this map is accurate or not but I thought it was interesting enough to share.

purple - Russian subjects in the confederation

beige - subject not in it

brown - self-proclaimed states in it

grey - others
- from my Russian friend

Propaganda really is something else, huh?
"The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire-building!"

"George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame on the imperialistic front."

"Oh, no sir, absolutely not. [aside] Mad as a bicycle!"

shall we assume that the enclosed part of Arabia is some kind of Bedouin reservation? :p
Basically, yeah : P

Looks good. But...No southern Sudan either? Because South Sudan would have been a part of Sudan in 1914
According to that video from eternity ago, it's unlikely the very Islamic Ottoman empire would want to absorb a Christian and Animist region like that. Whether they would gain independence or be handed over to Germany, it's hard to say. They never really got far enough to decide.

Last edited:
Basically, yeah : P

According to that video from eternity ago, it's unlikely the very Islamic Ottoman empire would want to absorb a Christian-heavy region like that. Whether they would gain independence or be handed over to Germany, it's hard to say. They never really got far enough to decide.

That video sounds interesting but that doesn't sound right. Because southern Sudan during that period was doubtfully that Christian-heavy (I would imagine that it was a mix of traditional religions and Christianity) and in any case Georgia and Armenia were likely far more Christian-heavy than southern Sudan (and far more organized). If they could be vassalized, I see no reason why the Ottomans would not want to retain southern Sudan, which at the outbreak of the war was already technically Ottoman since it was a part of Egypt and Egypt was de jure a part of the Ottoman realm. They might leave the south to its own devices, but still retain control over it since it was technically already theirs and because it enabled control over some of the sources of Nile and of a greater stretch of the Nile system (which is vital to Egypt).