Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

upload_2018-4-25_17-6-39.png

Turkish plans for a Turkish state following WW1. From what I understand, purple territories were for plebiscites.
I was gonna try making this in QBAM but was too lazy to try to get that southern border down.

I re-read through this thread the other day and lots of proposals are being brought up again recently, like the Turkish state up above.

North_American_Technate.PNG

Technocracy was a popular social movement in the United States and Canada for a brief period in the early 1930s, before it was overshadowed by other proposals for dealing with the Great Depression. The technocrats proposed replacing politicians and business people with scientists and engineers who had the technical expertise to manage the economy.

In a publication from 1938 Technocracy Inc. the main organization made the following statement in defining their proposal.

'Technocracy is the science of social engineering, the scientific operation of the entire social mechanism to produce and distribute goods and services to the entire population of this continent. For the first time in human history it will be done as a scientific, technical, engineering problem. There will be no place for Politics or Politicians, Finance or Financiers, Rackets or Racketeers. Technocracy states that this method of operating the social mechanism of the North American Continent is now mandatory because we have passed from a state of actual scarcity into the present status of potential abundance in which we are now held to an artificial scarcity forced upon us in order to continue a Price System which can distribute goods only by means of a medium of exchange. Technocracy states that price and abundance are incompatible; the greater the abundance the smaller the price. In a real abundance there can be no price at all. Only by abandoning the interfering price control and substituting a scientific method of production and distribution can an abundance be achieved. Technocracy will distribute by means of a certificate of distribution available to every citizen from birth to death. The Technate will encompass the entire American Continent from Panama to the North Pole because the natural resources and the natural boundary of this area make it an independent, self-sustaining geographical unit.'

View attachment 384697
Technocracy was a popular social movement in the United States and Canada for a brief period in the early 1930s, before it was overshadowed by other proposals for dealing with the Great Depression. The technocrats proposed replacing politicians and business people with scientists and engineers who had the technical expertise to manage the economy.

In a publication from 1938 Technocracy Inc. the main organization made the following statement in defining their proposal.
Considering the map was made in 1938, did they want to give the Philippines independence, or did they just neglect to include it in their map?

GipldnK.png

The Central Confederacy was a proposed country that would largely be made up of the mid-Atlantic and slave states that didn't secede from the Union and join the Confederacy. Proposed in a pamphlet entitled The Border States on December 15, 1860 by former Congressman John Kennedy, the idea apparently had some not insignificant support in all the proposed states from politicians, newspapers, etc... but quickly lost popularity after the Confederate States' "peaceful secession" stopped being peaceful with the attack on Fort Sumter.

The Central Confederacy was a proposed country that would largely be made up of the mid-Atlantic and slave states that didn't secede from the Union and join the Confederacy. Proposed in a pamphlet entitled The Border States on December 15, 1860 by former Congressman John Kennedy, the idea apparently had some not insignificant support in all the proposed states from politicians, newspapers, etc... but quickly lost popularity after the Confederate States' "peaceful secession" stopped being peaceful with the attack on Fort Sumter.

Assuming the Upper South (MD, VA, KY, MO) cleaved to the CSA in time anyway without the Sumter attack, and the Northwest Confederacy became a thing (maybe taking in the Great Plains states?)... that'd leave New England/USA Proper, the Mid-Atlantic/Central Confederacy, the Midwest/Northwest Confederacy, a potential Greater/all-its-claims CSA, and it'd be easier to make a Pacific States of America from there.

Bonus points if you let time pass and get Deseret, California (outside of the Pacific States), Texas (out of the Confederacy), and *Aztlan/New Mexico (out of the Confederacy/Texas, since locals considered splitting off in 1846) to split off in time as well. Double bonus points if it all happens primarily or even entirely peacefully despite protests.

German-Empire-map-600x400.jpg

Actually the Germans didn't take themselves quite serious with that one, it was more of a propaganda 'joke' to lighten the mood and raise the spirits.

I always wondered what would happen to the Maritimes in the event of Quebecois independence

No reason they couldn't remain part of Canada. After all Alaska is a part of the USA with Canada sitting between Alaska and the rest of the USA. Hawaii too remains part of the US with a great swathe of the Pacific Ocean between the Islands and the mainland USA.

Pdv5DBT.jpg

This is a fascinating proposal I stumbled across last night. It supposedly shows a Polish proposal for annexation of German territory from December 1944. Now I don't know which Polish group or individual made this proposal but I love how it also includes some territory assigned to the Soviets and Czechoslovakia.

View attachment 384783 View attachment 384784 View attachment 384785
Some of the proposals for the balkanization of Canada in the event of a successful Quebec independence referendum.
You know what I never see in these maps? Representation of the parts of Quebec that don't want to leave. Like, there are parts of Quebec that don't want to leave and, if it did achieve independence, might separate and either go independent themselves or remain part of Canada.
  • The Cree and the Inuit in Quebec both overwhelmingly voted against leaving Canada and would, in all likelihood, try to have their territories split off and remain a part of Canada if Quebec got its independence. Supposedly there are plans to push for pre-1912 borders and re-establish the Northwest Territory's Ungava district or a create new territory/province in its place in the case of a successful separation but I can't find any sources for this.
  • The Mohawk down in the south near the border have stated that, if Quebec leaves, they'll hold their own independence referendum and try to become an official, separate sovereign state apart from them. The fact that their territory partially spills over into the US might mean that they might get American-backed opposition to this, however.
  • There are people who want to split off the bilingual and non-Francophone parts of Quebec into a new province even without Quebec gaining independence, you can bet these people would try to get these areas to remain part of Canada if Quebec did gain independence. These parts of the province would supposedly be the southwestern and southern portions - comprised of half of Montreal, parts of the Outaouais and the Eastern Townships.
If nobody else makes a map showing this stuff, maybe I will in the future. The partition from William Shaw & Lionel Albert's Partition: The Price of Quebec’s Independence book might be a good basis for it...

Last edited:
You know what I never see in these maps? Representation of the parts of Quebec that don't want to leave. Like, there are parts of Quebec that don't want to leave and, if it did achieve independence, might separate and either go independent themselves or remain part of Canada.
  • The Cree and the Inuit in Quebec both overwhelmingly voted against leaving Canada and would, in all likelihood, try to have their territories split off and remain a part of Canada if Quebec got its independence. Supposedly there are plans to push for pre-1912 borders and re-establish the Northwest Territory's Ungava district or a create new territory/province in its place in the case of a successful separation but I can't find any sources for this.
  • The Mohawk down in the south near the border have stated that, if Quebec leaves, they'll hold their own independence referendum and try to become an official, separate sovereign state apart from them. The fact that their territory partially spills over into the US might mean that they might get American-backed opposition to this, however.
  • There are people who want to split off the bilingual and non-Francophone parts of Quebec into a new province even without Quebec gaining independence, you can bet these people would try to get these areas to remain part of Canada if Quebec did gain independence. These parts of the province would supposedly be the southwestern and southern portions - comprised of half of Montreal, parts of the Outaouais and the Eastern Townships.
If nobody else makes a map showing this stuff, maybe I will in the future. The partition from William Shaw & Lionel Albert's Partition: The Price of Quebec’s Independence book might be a good basis for it...
latest

Relevant map.

afN083i.png

A proposal for a Romanian-Hungarian union was given by the chancellor of Weimar Germany, Hermann Muller, in a memo he wrote in the early 1930s. It doesn't seem to have been very well thought out, but there was supposedly a positive attitude towards it in Hungary and a similar proposal was allegedly made by the Hungarian PM, Bethlen Istvan, to Carol II, the king of Romania in 1931. Anyway, the union would;
  • Protect from a nonexistant 'Slavic menace' (though ironically such a union may very well create one, given the attitudes of the Slavic states at the time towards the idea of a resurgent Hungary)
  • Follow the model of Sweden-Norway or Austria-Hungary in terms of the unity of two crowns under 1 monarch w/ a shared foreign policy
  • Solve the Transylvania problem through "complete decentralisation and a perfect administrative autonomy and the successful solving of the minorities issue" (which I chose to represent through extending the Hungarian part of the union to all the Hungarian-majority enclaves in Romania and then making the rest of Transylvania, according to the old AH borders, a seperate state from the rest of Romania)
So, uh, yeah. There you have it. The United Kingdoms of Romania and Hungary or whatever this union would be called. Sorry for the small size.

Source: This post, where the source they gave seems to be down

Last edited:
Relevant map.

The non-pro-Quebec areas are surprisingly contiguous and not spread out in terms of districts. I could easily see an Ungava Territory alongside Ottawa and Estrie Provinces. Only Montreal would be an issue and I suppose English-speakers would move out to the said provinces and further Anglicize them.