Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Ariosto Populist Republican

In the world of strange news, while looking for political information of a completely different nature, I came across this nugget in the New York Times, where apparently Norway was offered the Mandate over Armenia and, should they refuse, Canada was prepared to take their place. As of this moment though I'm not sure what became of Canada's efforts in this regard.

2. water123 The Biggest Normie on this Website

I can't go to hell, I'm all out of vacation days.
    I mean, even the article says that Armenia would basically become a British colony/protectorate in this situation.

3. xmoose Well-Known Member

Such idea was there from Berlin congress if not earlier (by conveention of Cyprus all of asian Ottoman empire became "protectorate")

4. Ariosto Populist Republican

It depends on how you'd interpret it. While Canada was a Dominion, they are the ones that'd have a final say on matters in Armenia, not the British. Certainly there'd be extensive cooperation between the two on all matters, but the important point would be that the UK could not act unilaterally in Armenia; they'd need consent from Ottawa first.

Anyway, I find the concept of Norwegian Armenia a tad more interesting, if naturally unlikely. :coldsweat:

5. The Eternal Aussie Member

german_territorial_war_claims_in_the_west_by_arminius1871_dbqjnsm-pre.jpg

In light blue are the territories an agitation group called the Pan-German League was demanding be annexed should Germany emerge victorious in WW1: All of Belgium, Luxembourg and northeastern France.

As some lads helpfully pointed out for me, it was more likely that the Germans would have been more modest. At most they would have annexed Luxembourg, the French border regions in dark blue, and eastern Belgium to up to Namur and Liege, shown in dark criss-crossy.

6. TheReformer Scheming Bastard

This is great, been looking for something like this for ages

also: interesting how the more extreme lot wanted virtually the exact same borders the Nazis would draw up 25 years later

7. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

The Nazi's based a lot of their plans on the plans of people who did the work for them.

8. Chris S Member

I wonder if that plan might have also seen northern Sudan unify with Egypt fully between the 1940s and 1950s

9. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

upload_2019-5-3_10-30-24.png
    The Party of Reconstruction in Sicily, which boasted about 40,000 members in 1944 and was one of the many active Sicilian separatist movements following the collapse of Italian fascism, once campaigned for Sicily to become an American territory, protectorate, or potentially even a state. The reason for this was due to the Sicilians being tired of being treated as a backwater by the Italian government.

10. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

If such a party did win and was allowed to secede, the most likely outcome would almost certainly be a protectorate. State or Territory is just ridiculous

11. Ivoshafen Just A Man From Gondor - Recovering from SATS

Honestly? I could see Territory, or maybe the federal government would draft up some new concept of subdivision for the union

Just let us have American Sicily :p

12. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Maybe something like the Compact of Free Association America has with Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshal Islands?

Swede, Crying and Ivoshafen like this.
  13. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Franco Spain Claims.png
    Italian_Empire_Ambitions.png
    Greater_Finland.png
    Everyone talks about Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, but here's some other fascist-era territorial ambitions, including:
    * Franco's Spain, which had ambitions for claiming Andorra, Roussillon, Cerdagne, and Gibraltar. Spanish Morocco and Guinea were to be expanded. Potentially, Portugal and its colonies were also to be integrated, becoming the Iberian Union.
    * Fascist Italy's early ambitions of client states and dependencies in Europe along with its goals for a greater empire in Africa and the Middle East.
    * Greater Finland, which would claim Kola and Karelia.

14. Christory Well-Known Member

Someone should try combining these with the German and Japanese plans I mentioned on page 72.

GustavusAdolphus1 likes this.
  15. Christory Well-Known Member

So, there's dozens of ways to mix-and-match overlapping claims. Here's the best-looking (and probably most practical) arrangement.

[​IMG]

From this perspective you can clearly see how much more Japan cared about the strategic relevance of the Americas. You can also easily see the slices of land that Hungary and Romania wanted. Of course, if someone made a Worlda of that other Axis victory map I showed on page 72, I'd be able to get a much more complete map. But I don't have the mapping skills to transfer some of the finer details from that map into Worlda, such as the slice of Sweden that Finland wanted.

16. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

@Christory The slice of Sweden Finland wanted? I read. An excerpt from a translated memo by Himmler telling how the Finns had declined an offer for Norwegian (and prospectively Swedish) land, but that the Finns were going to have to take it . Basically more frozen land with Sami that the Nazis didn't want to bother colonizing. On a side note, that recnatular area north of Romania is what a Felix someone, Himmler's masseur claimed was going to be used for the entire Dutch population. I feel he lied a lot, especially as he got a metal from ten Dutch for 'preventing' this.

17. Mumby im that bob

Not to mention what Vichy France expected to get out of the war.

Crying likes this.
  18. Shaymin0000 Also exists

Christory already beat me to it, but since I have these I figured I'd post them anyways.
    I took a few liberties with some of the overlapping claims (especially Cameroon, which I couldn't really figure out how to split well), so this probably isn't the most practical way to resolve it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one incorporates a few of the other posts from page 72, namely the Neo Roman Empire and the split UK.
    [​IMG]
    This one uses the Latin Union from page 72. I wasn't sure how to handle Spain/Portugal/Italy's other colonies, so I just kept them.

Swede, UrbanNight, Christory and 3 others like this.
  19. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

You mean France? Yes, rather unrealistic goals for them.

20. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

So many overlapping claims...