Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

UrbanNight likes this.
  2. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Too many French-speakers.

Bomster likes this.
  3. HowAboutThisForAName Manservant to Melon the Mischievous Mog

That map of Australia is genuinely awful, Guelphia would have like 16 million people with a distribution approaching OTL’s while every other state would comparatively have fuck all. Good lord I’m glad that didn’t go through.

DrWalpurgis and Crying like this.
  4. TheKutKu Well-Known Member

What is the etymology of Guelphia? The other are named after explorers (except of course victoria), but I can’t find anything for guelphia

LouisTheGreyFox likes this.
  5. BryanIII Well-Known Member

More than most likely this

6. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Crying likes this.
  7. Transparent Blue TRANSPARENT! TRANSPARENT!

I think Nuytsland is the worst... even the mapmaker seems to be aware that there are no features or settlements worth labelling inside it. IOTL I think it would have less than 10,000 people unless you count the emus.

Crying likes this.
  8. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Damian0358, Chris S, Swede and 9 others like this.
  9. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

USA Alt states.png

Made this the other day: An Alternate USA with16 proposed states added.

10. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Apart from the fact that the Republicans will now win FOREVER, I'm sure Nantucket is basically two guys, a dog and a fishing boat.

ST15RM likes this.
  11. Imperator Frank Tellurian Worldbuilder

Los Angeles isnt where you labelled it. In fact, its not even in that new state at all.

12. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

oops, that's embarrassing, I always assumed it was in Orange County...funnily enough that's one of the only cities I didn't double check the location of when putting it on the map

Swede and Imperator Frank like this.
  13. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer!

no indian stream? how dare you

14. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

As much as I love Indian Stream, I dont think they ever intended to become a state

15. NoMommsen Donor

It always leaves me puzzled as these "ethnic maps" of Africa often mismatch with each other ...

Crying and Christory like this.
  16. BMN Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily the data that's inaccurate, it's the interpretation of the data that is subject to whoever is making the map.
    "What does ethnicity mean to you" can get you a lot of different answers, even when we are all given the same demographic information.

Barry Bull, Swede, Deltax10 and 3 others like this.
  17. Crazy Boris Cool Dood

I just noticed that they all seem to split the Somalis into the different clans. That’s kind of odd, since I’ve never seen them described as separate ethnicities, I can’t help but wonder if they just split the Somalis up just to have more areas on the map.

18. Aqua817 Eternally Exhausted

Its because "Africa is unstable because they're barbarians who were forced together and began killing each other the minute they were freed from enlightened European rule" is a really easy way to go and deny that Europe is responsible for a lot of problems in modern Africa, and a lot of these maps are rather artificial and among other things deny that these groups are often nomadic and borders are subject to change.

19. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

The argument that most often gets made in regards to these sorts of maps, though, is that "the borders are artificial", and that they don't reflect Africa's ethnic diversity like Europe's do. Never mind that the creation of the European nation-states involved the artificial creation of a pan-ethnic identity followed by the subsumption/annihilation of competing nationalisms; if we were to draw a pre-Westphalia map of all of Europe's 'ethnic groups', it could be nearly as chaotic.

20. Aqua817 Eternally Exhausted

This, this so much. It happens other places too; the amount of cultures that were subsequently annihilated when someone decided that to be a Southerner meant, well, what all the racists say it means is boggling. In a way, the fact that African smaller languages and identities continue to this day as opposed to how in Europe these languages and regional traditions were annihilated is a good thing.

taxidea, Swede, Crying and 1 other person like this.