Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Deleted member 2186

Map of how the United States could look like if it entered a war and lost in 1937.

ANmN3i7.jpg

Map of how the United States could look like if it entered a war and lost in 1937.

ANmN3i7.jpg
I do love how they never say who would get what. In fact, for the red area they just say it would be divided up. All the map seems to say is that, no matter what, the US would lose a war horrendously. I am guessing it is everyone versus the US.

This doesn't really seem to fit this thread though, since it's less of a proposal and war aim, rather than a projection of what could happen by a domestic publication. It's more of a war scare map.

This doesn't really seem to fit this thread though, since it's less of a proposal and war aim, rather than a projection of what could happen by a domestic publication. It's more of a war scare map.

The "Germany will gobble all of the things if they win WWI" maps were also war scare maps, made by the French. Does that mean that they don't belong in this thread either?

The "Germany will gobble all of the things if they win WWI" maps were also war scare maps, made by the French. Does that mean that they don't belong in this thread either?

I don't really think they do to be honest.

EDIT: I suppose if those and this most recent map are considered as proposals as to what could happen if the enemy won then they do belong. Kind of a grey area I feel.

I can see how this is a tempting idea, especially at the time, but pushing for either one or the other (I am inclined towards option A) works far better.
I presume the highest office any Blacks would be able to reach in that area would still be Vice President.

Probable_Axes_of_Attack.jpg

Here we have Seven days to the River Rhine, what may be one of the most insane invasion plans ever conceived. Put together by Soviet strategists and military theorists in 1979, it was their plan for winning the Cold War in a conventional manner.

Word for word, the plan involved the following:
  • It assumed that NATO would launch a first strike, hitting 25 Polish cities along the River Vistula, from Gdansk to Katowice, all the way down to the Slovak border. This would cut off Soviet supply lines to East Germany, which they believed would be the first stage of a NATO invasion. 2 million poles were predicted to die in this attack. They also assumed later strikes would take place in cities such as Budapest.
  • In response, the Soviets intended to launch their own tactical nukes on the following targets: Stuttgart, Munich, Nuremberg, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Bonn, Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Roskilde, Esbjerg, Vicenza, Verona, and Padova. They believed this wouldn't escalate into full-scale nuclear war since none of these countries had nukes of their own.
  • At the same time, they were going to launch nuclear strikes across Austria as well, including two 500-kiloton strikes on Vienna, before it was to be invaded and captured by Czech-Hungarian forces.
  • Once this nuclear campaign was complete, Soviet forces would pour across the North German Plain, the Fulda Gap, and the new route opened up by capturing Austria. Their goal would be to travel across the radioactive wasteland they'd created, defeating all NATO forces, capturing Denmark, and reaching the River Rhine. All of this was to be accomplished in just a week, hence where the name of the plan comes from.
  • If all of that were to be accomplished, the Soviet forces would then continue on through Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg before moving into France. Here, the goal was to punch all the way through the country and reach the border with Spain inside another week. Tactical nukes weren't going to be used here, since they were afraid of escalating things. You know, more than they already had.
  • In the North Atlantic, Soviet submarines were to sink any NATO ships travelling to Europe in order to cut off supply lines and prevent the Americans from landing troops on European soil.
So, to recap, the Warsaw Pact planned to sweep through West Germany and France in just 14 days, somehow use tactical nukes on several countries without escalating things into nuclear war, and just kind of assume reaching the Spanish border would end the war in their favor.

Last edited:
So, to recap, the Warsaw Pact planned to sweep through West, Germany and France in just 14 days, somehow use tactical nukes on several countries without escalating things into nuclear war, and just kind of assume reaching the Spanish border would end the war in their favor.
For what very little it is worth, they seem to be operating under the presumption that NATO starts things with a "limited" nuking of their own.