Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Chris S Member

That's a map of the situation as it would be today right? Not in 1902 yes? Because until 1911, Northern Territory was a part of South Australia

Swede likes this.
  2. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a map of Australia just after Federation with New Zealand in it. I had to make do.

3. Chris S Member

Okay. That's fine.

We're all here to help as well. So here you go ;-)

australia with new zealand 1903 federation.png

4. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

Arrondissement Hagen (Grand Duchy of Berg)
    [​IMG]

Another find, mostly interesting because it shows the de jure situation in Nazi Germany with the Länder still intact, rather than showing just the Reichsgaue. What's super fascinating, and something I only learned today, is that the Kleinwesertal in the Austrian state of Vorarlberg was annexed to Bavaria after the Anschluss in 1938. Also I like how this map also shows stuff like Baden's provinces and the like. Quite the good level of detail.

5. Philip One L only

So that's actually a thing. Hadn't heard of that one before. It's getting rather close to 1 farmer and 2 senators.

6. Crying Your ideology is shit, SHIIIIIIIIT

Treatment of Indigenous peoples' was a factor in New Zealand refusing to federate, but it was far from the only reason - or even the main reason. The main reason, afaik, was simply that the Kiwis already had a separate identity - the fact that their leader at the time imagined the country as being a 'Britain of the South Seas' that would become very powerful and wealthy also certainly contributed to this. Another factor was their fear of a lack of representation, they didn't want to be ignored in favour of 'continental issues' and constantly outvoted due to being only a single state, like many Tasmanians claim they are even today (some people have proposed having the north & south island be separate states to try and alleviate this problem but I don't if this proposal was around at the time or whether it would have been taken seriously if it was).

7. Jan Olbracht Well-Known Member

Not even mentioning, that Germans supported Ukrainian and Lithuanian claims against Poland during ww1 (Germans regarded them as weaker than Poles and more reliable as allies), so say goodbay also to Chełm, Białystok and Suwałki (not even mentioning Lwów and Wilno).

Chris S and marcinL like this.
  8. AUGGP Well-Known Member

Absaroka M-Bam!

Absaroka M-Bam.png

Swede, Blind, Gokbay and 5 others like this.
  9. Suvareshkin Just another boba-sipping social democrat

I feel like you might be misunderstanding my point. I am not saying that Poland should just have conceded before all German demands. I am arguing that instead of heeding abstract notions of economic independence, the delegates at Versailles should have implemented self-determination, allowing those provinces where the populace desired to either remain or become united with Germany to do so, thus preventing much acrimony further down the road.

The Czechs were dealing with a Germany that was already under a radical government whose rise to power was fueled by a sense of anti-German discrimination by the international community, a sentiment rooted in the fact that many territories that desired to be German were severed from their nation. If lands that desired to remain German were given the option to do so, as opposed to being conjoined with a foreign state, one could argue that the rise of the government that made such thuggish demands towards Czechoslovakia would never have manifested in the first place.

Zagan, AUGGP, hadaril and 1 other person like this.
  10. marcinL Well-Known Member

But that's not what Germany wanted - the wanted pre-1914 borders and economic and political subjugation of rump Poland. Literally every interwar German government and every political force was quite open about it and worked towards that end.

11. Thon Taddeo Well-Known Member

Is it acceptable to repost maps from earlier in the thread? For example, I realized I had posted a map of Armenia which had been posted before, and the map of Tibet on the previous page had been posted a couple months ago.

If so, there are some maps from a while ago that might benefit from reposting.

12. Chris S Member

I think we generally try to avoid reposting the exact same maps. If you are doing a MBAM, QBAM, Worlda rendition of said maps then sure, but otherwise why not just post a link back to the earlier page along with any new maps which are related to the earlier maps?

Crying, Luminous, AUGGP and 1 other person like this.
  13. Crying Your ideology is shit, SHIIIIIIIIT

I would argue that's an incredibly simplistic and flawed view of what caused & allowed the Nazis to come to power, but this really isn't the thread for this discussion so please either drop it or move it elsewhere.

14. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Germany outright refused to give Poland terms to prevent them from invading in WWII, while after WWI Polish and Madurai's majority areas in southern East Prussia voted for staying in Germany at 95%+ (I think), despite decades upon decades of persecution. Fairly suspicious.

merkmuds and Crying like this.
  15. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

you're derailing the thread again, guys

Ivoshafen, Chris S and Crying like this.
  16. Jan Olbracht Well-Known Member

Masurians were not Polish. They considered themselves to be Prussians and were Lutherans (thus were not hit by Kulturkampf) and lived under Hohenzollern's rule since 16th century. Hardly comparable to Posen or Pomerelian Poles (rather they were to Poles like Alsatians to Germans).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Clandango and Zagan like this.
  17. ninel Antizentristische Aktion

To be fair, Masurians did genuinely want to remain in Germany, AFAIK mostly because of religious differences (they were Lutheran).

Zagan likes this.
  18. Chris S Member

To help get this thread back on track, I'm going to quote a post I found from this thread concerning a 1939 proposal for a "North Atlantic Union":

union_now-2.jpg

19. Chris S Member

Incidentally, I discovered that increasingly large parts of Serbia were actually occupied by Bulgarian troops under German command during WWII as Germany needed the manpower for the Western and Eastern fronts. This was something the Germans were not keen on due to the potential trouble this would cause among the Serbians.

Damian0358 and Crying like this.
  20. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

I don't suppose you have any idea why Asturias might be colored differently than the other Reichsgau in Austria? Was it that it was one of the 'prime' ones in that administration of both the province and party were completely combined?

Tomislav Addai and Ian Henderson like this.