Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

I guess I'll say it. I'm surprised "New England" is a name in another part of the world. I can get why it'd be called so, it looks like Old England or meant to be a "new" England, yeah. Just that I felt New England-in-America was already famous enough to be the only carrier of the name.

I do admit it's clever to get around that with a singular subdivision bearing the name wholesale rather than as a regional name covering many territorial subunits, though.

LouisTheGreyFox likes this.
  2. Thon Taddeo Well-Known Member

wildviper121, Wendell and Flashman like this.
  3. UrbanNight Well-Known Member

This is the proposal from the 1920s, the referendum was in the 1960s for a much smaller area and can be found in the pdf which @Camelopardalim screenshotted and I'd previously posed a few months ago.

Camelopardalim likes this.
  4. Vuu Resident Serb expert Banned

In some places, you just have to break some eggs to make omelettes

More often than not, eventually the eggs break themselves - but the Powers That Be dislike that, maybe the omelette won't be to their taste

5. Drex Alférez de caballería

6. LouisTheGreyFox The Hyperactive Furry Historian

That almost close to the the original 48 states of the US.

7. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Allon Plan.png
    MBAM Allon Plan

8. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Few changes you might want to make. The plan was also to involve returning the Sinai to Egypt and to make the Golan Heights Druze. Obviously Sinai is Egyptian here, but with the Golan Heights being shown as fully annexed some consistence will be needed with the Gaza Strip. Speaking of which, it seems at first they wanted Gaza for Israel, and afterwards for Jordan-Palestine. Come. Think of it, looks like the Wikipedia page doesn't actually mentoin Sinai going to Egypt, so maybe it would have went to the Palestinian state.

Perhaps Newest South Wales or Even Newer South Wales would be better? Or perhaps Diet South Wales. The naming worked for Coca-Cola.

On a side not for the Palestine thing, just discovered that when Israel was going about returning land Syria was wanting more land than the Golan Heights. Other Arab states didn't much go for it, showing yet another reason why Jordan, Syria, and Egypt repeatedly distrusted each other since the beginning of the State of Israel. On that note, anyone know where to find a map showing the land the French and British traded in the north of Palestine and on the Lebanese border? I am wondering if there is any correlation to smaller groups or if Syria wanted that land that had been traded away, or if they simply wanted the land that they had as part of their war aims during the original war against Israel, much like how Egypt wanted Negev and Jordan wanted a coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_242#Land_for_peace

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  9. Chris S Member

Indeed, but the Allon Plan's proposed areas to be returned to Jordan, more or less match the areas of Palestinian autonomy even now. Points to a common basis ----> the concept that heavily populated Palestinian areas shouldn't be under direct Israeli control, but important and sparsely populated strategic areas should.

Analytical Engine likes this.
  10. Bleh Bane of poinsettia mites

North New South Wales

11. sprite King of the Faeries

The area has been known as New England since about 1840. I think New England would be the name if a new state was approved (the odds of which are extremely low).

Wendell likes this.
  12. Beedok I exist.

Old Wales must be happy that there's an England that is but a small part of a Wales somewhere in the world.

Wendell, Philip, UrbanNight and 2 others like this.
  13. Wendell Wendell

That Black Sea New England is interesting....

Flashman likes this.
  14. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

Extremely. Anglo-Saxon-Gothic Kingdom of Chersonessus, anyone?

Wendell and Ivoshafen like this.
  15. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

Considering this set of English presumably got absorbed into Crimean Gothland before the Crimean Goths themselves disappeared from history, the mere fact Englishmen and Goths were interacting as neighbors together is just plain cool.

16. Catsmate Well-Known Member

Newer South Wales?
    New New South Wales?
    New North South Wales?

17. Spiritual Sausage Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    map of the planned borders of the LitBel superimposed over state borders in 1920

18. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

tumblr_ojmxrljzci1uo5i21o1_540.jpg

A fascinating piece of speculation from the early years of the Cold War, wouldn't you say?

19. Beedok I exist.

There was no such thing as the North Koreans. :p

20. xmoose Well-Known Member

Wanna see situation in eastern Anatolia...