Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Personally, I like the national myths of ancient nations. The Myrmidons -- the tribe of Achilles -- were descended from ants. Why? Because they were known for their loyalty, and they wore brown armour (unlike anyone else in the Bronze Age, obviously).
"In one account, Zeus seduced Eurymedousa in the form of an ant"
Literally how. I get Greek mythological figures are kinda freaky but an ant??

"In one account, Zeus seduced Eurymedousa in the form of an ant"
Literally how. I get Greek mythological figures are kinda freaky but an ant??
They weren't the only ant-descended tribe.
Certain Greek and Roman sources (including Herodotus and Pliny the Elder) mention the Myrmekes, or Myrmex Indikos -- a race of giant ants from India and Bactria, who dig for gold in the mountains of Kashmir and Baltistan and built ant-hills out of the gold-dust. Other Indian (human) tribes grow rich from stealing gold from these monstrous sentient ants, but it's a dangerous way to make your fortune -- sort of like stealing treasure from a dragon. Or a Myrmidon, I guess.

Further info

Honestly, I support the ants' claim to the region. Kashmir shouldn't be Indian, Pakistani, or even a Jewish state -- it should be an ant homeland.
Although of course, there's a Kashmiri claim of Israelite descent, too. So maybe the Lost Tribes of Israel were ants?

Last edited:
In January 1759 (before the fall of quebec), Etienne de Silhouette (in the 1750s, at times, main royal comissioner of the French indies company, minister of finances, and main negociator (with De la Gallissonniere) of the pre-7YW North american boundary comission) Proposed to exchange Canada for Georgia:
So French Georgia and British Canada, huh? Probably wouldn't change things much for the British side, but this French Colony could become quite important if they manage to connect the lands between Savannah and New Orleans. Even more if the French manage to take/negotiate Florida from Spain, or some part of it (at least the panhandle), to have full access to the Gulf of Mexico.

So French Georgia and British Canada, huh? Probably wouldn't change things much for the British side, but this French Colony could become quite important if they manage to connect the lands between Savannah and New Orleans. Even more if the French manage to take/negotiate Florida from Spain, or some part of it (at least the panhandle), to have full access to the Gulf of Mexico.
Looking at old maps, it seemed French Louisiana included much of the modern south. So if France does exchange Canada for Georgia, it would already be connected
1024px-Weigel_La_Louisiane_1719_Cornell_CUL_PJM_1017_01.jpg
1280px-A_new_map_of_the_north_parts_of_America_claimed_by_France_under_ye_names_of_Louisiana..._%282674873145%29.jpg
La_Nouvelle-France.jpg
Edit: Just noticed California is an island on that second map. Map is from 1720 too

I wonder why they spell Africa with a "k".
I could be mistaken but I think the thinking was, as part of a general linguistic and orthographic reform to formalize AAVE, they would abolish the hard C. Not because of anything particular to AAVE, just because it was pointless to have in addition to K and you might as well get rid of excess if you're doing an orthographic reform. Could be wrong, though.

I could be mistaken but I think the thinking was, as part of a general linguistic and orthographic reform to formalize AAVE, they would abolish the hard C. Not because of anything particular to AAVE, just because it was pointless to have in addition to K and you might as well get rid of excess if you're doing an orthographic reform. Could be wrong, though.
Mainly orthographic and cultural reasons, as according to Haki R. Madhubuti in 1994, European contact "polluted" African languages by using C for a K-sound and reverting to Afrika "symbolizes [Africans and its diaspora] coming back together again".

The article contained a link to claims of the Japanese of all people descending from Jews; that is even crazier!

Wikipedia apparently also has a list of groups claiming descend from Israelites.

EDIT: Has there even been someone who had come up with baseless claims of descend more original than from Israelites or Trojans? Like claiming that *insert nation here* descends from Elamites or Hittites?
The only examples I know of involve descending from Scythians (Sarmatism in Poland) or Ancient Egyptians (Scota in Scotland) and that group in Afghanistan claiming descend from soldiers of Alexander III.
EDIT2: Thinking about it again, IIRC, some Greeks claimed that other nations actually descended from figures in Greek mythology. However, that was sort of the reverse of what I sought for.

Last edited:
Iirc early republican Turkey had stuff like that
But we also had the Sun Language ""Theory"" that claimed every single language descended from Proto-Turkic
The Japanese Imperial family claims descent from the sun goddess Amaterasu, but that's more like the Greeks or Babylonians claiming descent from Zeus or Dumuzid.

Found this map and I think you guys might be interested. If I remember correctly there was a post related to this, about the 1946-47 Paris peace treaties