Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Wendell Wendell

The United Kingdom consists of four constituent countries. From a constitutional point of view, each U.S. state exercises more sovereignty in its domestic affairs than any of those constituent countries. WEstminster could tomorrow disbad the Welsh Assembly and Sottish parliament. It would be unconstitutional for the federal government (in peacetime) to in any way dissolve the government of a state. A state law can be challenged in the judiciary, or the federal government may pass a law applying to the whole union which effectively nullifies a state law, but it cannot dissolve a state or alter its borders without the authorization of that state.
    Correct.
    A federation of sovereign states, and an arguable distinction without a difference from a purely constitutional point of view. The states are tighter bound under the Constitution than they were under the Articles of Confederation, but they are nonetheless largely internally sovereign in domestic affairs and institutions, provided their governments are republican in form and that the constitutional liberties guaranteed federally are maintained.
    Essentially, yes.
    Basically. And, before the civil war, Aericans travelling abroad would basically identify with their state if asked where they were from.
    In theory. Americans bon abroad are not necessarily citizens of a particular state until they move to one. The status of people in the insular areas is thornier, and being resident in a state if not a U.S. citizen does not confer state citizenship. Citizenship and immigration are Article I powers of Congress in its establishment of a uniform code of naturalization.
    Precisely.

2. FancyHat Well-Known Member

Beyond the legal structure of the United States, it doesn't really have a coherent culture save for a few shared values. Each state generally has a unique culture, which is wildly different from most other states. Personally, I identify as a Californian first because A) that's the culture I'm a part of and B) everyone has an idea of what California's like so they'll be able to understand that, whereas if I said I was American people would have a more vague, and probably wrong, idea of what my culture and society is like.

Clandango and Kaiser_Jaeger like this.
  3. AUGGP Well-Known Member

Idk, while I agree theres no coherent US culture really, I actually think theres far more then just state by state, for example the general idea people have of California culture is mainly about coastal california, and even then the coasts in the northern part don't really count in that either, and arguably even the coastal culture varies

4. Beedok I exist.

Not like the Scots get along with other Scots either. And Northern Ireland...

Anyhoo. Maps.

merkmuds likes this.
  5. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Brought to you by the letter "R". ;)

6. Beedok I exist.

[​IMG]
    How about P?

7. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

German Empire.png
    And here we have the German Empire's ambitious goals for the first World War, with colonies, puppet states, dependencies, an economic sphere, and lots and lots of islands. Would easily be the biggest land exchange in history if it actually happened.

hadaril, theman7777, Kirook and 26 others like this.
  8. FancyHat Well-Known Member

I've spent quite some time researching this subject, and I've never heard of the Germans wanting Malta, Indochina or Malaysia, and they definitely didn't plan to annex Poland, Lithuania, or Courland. Additionally, my understanding is that Mittelafrika wasn't intended to be a coherent territory, but rather a zone in which German companies and trade could operate without competition while Belgium, France, etc. would still administer and maintain the colonies.

I suspect this is a map of the German Empire in Kaiserreich rather than an accurate depiction of their plans.

9. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

In that case, Google is a dirty liar.

10. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

Actually, the German Empire in Kaiserreich doesn't contain all of that territory. Though it does include Morocco (which sort of makes sense) and Sri Lanka (which doesn't).

Kirook and ST15RM like this.
  11. Wendell Wendell

I'm surprised the Philippines aren't shown.

12. ETGalaxy Long live the King of America!

Never heard that before. Do you have any sources? I'd be interested in taking a look if you don't mind.

Viralworld, Diagram, Crying and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Japan Nuke Sites.png
    Here is a list of what were potential targets in Japan for atomic weapons and the reasons why.

Kyoto was actually removed from the list by the urging of the Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson, who admired the city, as well as for its historical, religious and cultural significance. That's when Nagasaki was placed on the list of targets.

14. FancyHat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't have any sources I can give you, but I've heard it pretty consistently from other people on this forum. I think @MisterP would be able to help with this, though the last time I used a map of his as an example it turned out I'd misunderstood it so I guess take this particular point with a grain of salt. Wikipedia does say that the primary goal Germany had in mind was the Belgian Congo, which was AFAIK the most profitable colony in the region if not Africa in general.

Crying and ETGalaxy like this.
  15. Augenis Latvia isn't real Banned

A nuclear strike on Yokohama would be like what, 3 kilometers away from Tokyo? Glad we didn't see that happen.

16. Beedok I exist.

About 40km I think.

17. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Would that be visible from Tokyo?

18. Beedok I exist.

Depending on topography. It's 2/3rds the distance that exists between the foreground and background of this pic:
    [​IMG]

19. Ivoshafen Just A Man From Gondor - Recovering from SATS

Could damn near taste it at that range.

Bomster likes this.
  20. Kaiser_Jaeger Well-Known Member

I thought Courland was part of Ober Ost?