Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

This is the most recent version of this idea, with the map coming from this Wall Street Journal article.

Also notice how the state would be the Douglass Commonwealth, meaning it could keep the DC abbreviation.
Unsurprisingly, it's very similar.
Most of the changes on the eastern end seem to be due to offices that are now part of the United States Capitol Complex that were not at the time in the earlier proposal.
Any subtractions are likely due to places no longer having federal or congressional buildings.
It now includes the Kennedy Center for reasons I don't quite understand.

Again the only population, for census purposes, would be the first family.

Given how current this is we should be careful with our discussion. The thread @Laqueesha posted the proposal I quoted in was closed because of it.

I assume in utter seriousness while the "state" name is Douglass Commonwealth, the "city" name is still to be Washington in every day terminology even if the City of Washington was officially entirely absorbed into DC (be it the District of Columbia or Douglass Commonwealth).

It now includes the Kennedy Center for reasons I don't quite understand.
Possibly due to being part of the Smithsonian in administrative terms and/or being a literally-national convention center? I figure they want as much 'national' stuff clustered together in the city for this federal enclave.

Last edited:
I assume in utter seriousness while the "state" name is Douglass Commonwealth, the "city" name is still to be Washington in every day terminology even if the City of Washington was officially entirely absorbed into DC (be it the District of Columbia or Douglass Commonwealth).
So, instead of being called Washington, D.C., it would be called Washington, DC. :p

So, instead of being called Washington, D.C., it would be called Washington, DC. :p
Nominally anything easier to write out is always a plus for me in place names! :D Even if it's, uh, literal periods being deleted.

I'm kind of bummed it's not "State of Potomac" since the vast majority of state names that were not colonial creations were named for local geographic features (barring Washington and Indiana - even Idaho, made up, was supposed to refer to the local mountains), but I rather understand the lawmakers trying to be actually clever for traditional colloquial naming alongside honoring African-Americans.

Given how current this is we should be careful with our discussion. The thread @Laqueesha posted the proposal I quoted in was closed because of it.
Agreed. Perhaps we can bring the thread back on track by looking at other proposals?

I don't recall if this one was ever mapped in this thread before, but in the 1970s Idi Amin had advanced a claim on what is now western Kenya and parts of what is now South Sudan claiming it should revert to being Ugandan as a result of mistakes made by the British in transferring these districts to Kenya and Sudan:

1593406351638.png

He apparently had plans to invade Kenya in 1976 before backing down, but would later get into a war with his other East African neighbour, Tanzania in 1979 resulting in his overthrow by Tanzanian forces and Ugandan rebels.

I don't recall if this one was ever mapped in this thread before, but in the 1970s Idi Amin had advanced a claim on what is now western Kenya and parts of what is now South Sudan claiming it should revert to being Ugandan as a result of mistakes made by the British in transferring these districts to Kenya and Sudan
That's certainly a bit of a unique one, given as the claimed parts of Kenya hadn't been part of Uganda since 1902!
I think that this was done so that the White Highlands would be consolidated under a single colonial administration.

Edit: I found a breakdown of the area claimed.
Territorial Evolution of Uganda.jpg

Last edited:
Venezuela-British Guiana Boundary Lines Proposed or Claimed 1897.jpg

Pushing the edge of the upload limit - The Venezuela-British Guiana Boundary Commission investigated the numerous claimed border lines, before the Panel of Arbitration went with a slightly different version of the Schomburgk Line that was not added on the map.
Full zoomable version

Interesting how all of them leave out California and New Mexico
That’s just the map for the Louisiana Purchase, long before anything further west was settled to any large extent. Switch over to the Mexican-American War map. Sam Houston’s proposal is the rightful border. Damn Trist.

1594367862554.png

In January 1863, a underground Polish National Government rose up against the Russians. Though it was defeated, had they won, the PNG fully intended to restore the borders of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth pre-1772, which is what you see here, though I personally wonder how they planned to take back the territory controlled by the Prussians after their victory against the Russians.