Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

I feel that it partially may have come down to the railroads and, more importantly, distributing the less populated northern areas to those who can exploit the land. And, looking it up, so the Métis and First Nations could be kept out of the way while Ottawa worked to bring in millions of immigrants (explicitly white, trying to keep any others out) with which to settle the land and bring in loads of cash. And to then send everything directly to be exported by Ontario, Quebec, etc as free trade and lower tariffs with the US was treated like treason for a while. I do remember once seeing a map on an old Map Thread about a Manifest Destiny involving going Pole to Pole. All the Canadian Praire Provinces have their borders going up, slicing through Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.
It partially works in real life. Straight lines going north, and keeping along a long from Alaska to the Hudson Bay. The biggest issues are when straight lines are put between already highly populated areas. Plus sometimes t is best to not use the obvious geographic features as the border. I can only imagine how New Mexico would work if the Rio Grande was used as a border between states. Dante are would be in some economic trouble. Maybe not the best example.
Agreed. The Rio Grande, like many rivers, works better as a road than as a border... Now, the Continental Divide to the west of the Rio Grande on the other hand...

Not sure why they didn't just leave the pre-1905 district boundaries of the NWT in place, and bring in Alberta, Saskatchewan AND Assiniboia as provinces in 1905; this looks sensible to me (maybe any Canucks among us could explain to me why it wasn't):
If I'm remembering correctly it was for political reasons.
Option 1 was rejected because it would have given Manitoba and the new province too much political power in comparison to Ontario and Quebec.
Option 2 was rejected because it would have given the new province, Buffalo, too much political power.
Options 3 & 4 were partisan divisions which would create provinces which heavily favoured the Liberal or Conservative parties.

Read more here: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia...-the-politics-of-provincehood-in-1905-feature

I think the first proposal giving Manitoba and Alberta/Buffalo more political power would have been a good thing. It would give Ontario and Quebec less hegemony over all of Canada
Edit: Especially reading that splitting it into Alberta and Saskatchewan in the first place was to limit the power of the Conservative Party. That's pretty corrupt.

Last edited:
I think the first proposal giving Manitoba and Alberta/Buffalo more political power would have been a good thing. It would give Ontario and Quebec less hegemony over all of Canada
In the long run, probably a good thing. When you're the one who has to sign your potential opposition into existence, you're naturally opposed.
Re-reading the article I posted, it could have happened if the Conservatives had won the 1904 Federal Election, as in 1902 they supported the creation of the Province of Buffalo.

Edit: Especially reading that splitting it into Alberta and Saskatchewan in the first place was to limit the power of the Conservative Party. That's pretty corrupt.
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you can just arbitrarily create administrative divisions and basically just give the ol' Etch-a-Sketch a good shake before you get started... how many US states were created in 1889-90 for the primary reason of packing the Congress (especially the Senate) with as many Republican "safe seats" as possible? :)

Unfortunately, that's what happens when you can just arbitrarily create administrative divisions and basically just give the ol' Etch-a-Sketch a good shake before you get started... how many US states were created in 1889-90 for the primary reason of packing the Congress (especially the Senate) with as many Republican "safe seats" as possible? :)
May I ask why you're being condescending? I sure never said I agreed with the practice.

May I ask why you're being condescending? I sure never said I agreed with the practice.
Nooooo :( Had no intention of being condescending to you (of all people - I tend to like your posts! :)), was just intending to point out the rather widespread historical abuse of this sort of thing... sort of a form of gerrymandering in a way.
The second part of my post was maybe in a more "rhetorical" style than what my intention was - certainly didn't mean it to come across in an accusatorial manner toward you or anything. My apologies if it did.

Does anyone know what Iran's territorial aspirations with respect to the Iran-Iraq War were?
None as far as i know, being a revolutionary state they were aiming for regime change, a shia majority islamic republic, so they could control all of Iraq.
And yes after two wars America did that for them ☺

Nooooo :( Had no intention of being condescending to you (of all people - I tend to like your posts! :)), was just intending to point out the rather widespread historical abuse of this sort of thing... sort of a form of gerrymandering in a way.
The second part of my post was maybe in a more "rhetorical" style than what my intention was - certainly didn't mean it to come across in an accusatorial manner toward you or anything. My apologies if it did.
I apologise for misunderstanding you, then. On the original topic, we Americans really are the masters of internal gerrymandering, aren't we? A quick search on Wikipedia tells me a total of five states were all admitted back-to-back in the autumn of 1889 to the spring of 1890: North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and Washington. Taking into account that all listed besides Washington are staunchly Republican nowadays, and of the four, only Montana only having more than one million people, one can presume that gerrymandering was the original intention of the majority Republican Congress at the time.