Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Would any kind of successful CSA have kept those internal divisions in Mexico etc.? Making each of them a state would give them utter dominance in their national government, and I can definitely see a CSA taking advantage of existing separatist groups to make new states (eg Rep. of the Rio Grande).

Kirook, Crying, Gokbay and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

What would be the most effective internal visions in terms of control?

Skallagrim likes this.
  3. Nathan Bernacki Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

While this is a alternate history map, this map does a good job of depicting an actual proposed plan by the Freeland League of their plan to establish a Jewish homeland in the Kimberly region of Australia.

Proposed in late 1938 or early 1939, the plan was for 75,000 European Jews to occupy 28,000 square kilometres (11,000 sq mi) of agricultural land. Under the plan, an initial 500-600 pioneers would arrive to construct basic necessities for the settlement such as homes, irrigation works, and a power station, followed by the arrival of the main body of immigrants.

Of course, the plan was rejected by the Australian government, who was not very warm to the idea of an alien population making their home in Australia, backed up by fears that the Jews would leave the settlement and into the bigger cities, where they would take jobs away from white Australians.

I have been curious about this scenario for a long time. I wonder how this would've worked out.

4. Stateless Well-Known Watermelon

Couldn't they have taken that small remaining strip of West Australia?

Hawkeye, Kirook, Crying and 3 others like this.
  5. Alex Richards A mapper I, from near Dar-bai. Donor

I've never seen a version of New York with those extended claims in Maine before.

6. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

One may assume that the Confederates would carve out a number of non-voting territories, likely to be deliberately different from pre-existing borders. Places with seperatist tendencies may get special treatment (i.e. limited self-government). This may seem surprising, given the CSA's racist tendencies, but note that they were quite willing to promise a rather autonomous Indian Territory (and it seems this promise wasn't intended to be hollow). One can imagine them doing the same in regards to Maya peoples of Yucatan and the separatists of the Rio Grande Republic.

The more "standard" territories carved out of Latin American countries would, in all likelihood evolve into full states in time, but based on an Apartheid-like system where you only get to be a citizen if you're "white enough" (and, presumably, Protestant).

Any attempt to show this on a map would be highly speculative, however.

7. AUGGP Well-Known Member

Wouldnt this super CSA also include Delaware? I mean, it was a slave state after all

Tomislav Addai and Skallagrim like this.
  8. Stuyvesant #Gillibrand2020

Especially because NY gave up their claims east of the Connecticut in 1691.

9. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

Yep, this. It's odd, though, because sometimes mapmakers didn't keep up a lot, or even people's perceptions - Delaware was still seen as part of Pennsylvania by many despite being a legally separate colony/merely sharing a governor (a la NJ/NY and MA/NH for times), Ben Franklin still talked on "the Jerseys", etc. etc.

10. theman7777 Well-Known Member

Tried to make a worlda of this:
    claims.png

Hawkeye, Kirook, Crying and 12 others like this.
  11. Halcyon Dayz Hobbesian Anarchist™

Isn't some of that owned by superpowers like Britain and France?

Analytical Engine likes this.
  12. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

Considering some fire-eaters thought they could someday win the ideology war so bad WITHIN America so much they'd be "selling slaves in Boston Common" one day, I think we can safely assume "connected to reality" is not an apt descriptor of the Slaveocracy pre-and-during-the-Civil War.

13. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Intermarium.png
    Here we have Intermarium. It was proposed after the end of World War I by Polish leader Józef Piłsudski. It was to be a Federation between several Eastern European nations, many of whom were notable for being kicked around by other empires, both to unify them into a single state and to serve as a buffer zone between Germany and Russia to prevent another war. Of course, the only one who approved of his idea was France. The project died soon afterward.

It's also worth noting that there were quite a few different ideas on who should be in Intermarium and this is only one of them.

Kirook, Crying, Swede and 6 others like this.
  14. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
    Did someone literally say that part about slave auctions in Boston?

15. Umbric Man Umbric Manned

Yes. I'd have to fish out the book I read it in, but it exists. I'll try to later today.

16. rvbomally Russian Hacker

Could be useful for a victorious Jake Featherston scenario.

17. Miner Tu sais qu'il fallait que je le leur fasse

A large version of the Talleyrand partition plan for Belgium (by the French ambassador to Britain Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord), made after the Belgian Revolution which separated them from the Netherlands and part of negotiations made by the great powers over Belgium's future. This proposal was ultimately rejected in favor of the recognition of a unified Belgian state at the London Conference of 1830.

[​IMG]

18. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

I stumbled across this original partition plan for Bengal.

[​IMG]

And because I love WorldA so much, I decided to try my best and transfer it.

Partition of Bengal Pre-Boundary Commission.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  19. MatthewFirth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Can someone translate this map?

Crying likes this.
  20. Yanranay Baron of Leuk

Proposal for a reorganization of Switzerland by General Guillaume Brun (draft of the 16th and the 19th of March 1798)

Any other parts you'd like to have a translation of?

Crying likes this.