Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Beedok, Jun 15, 2014.

1. History Learner Well-Known Member

I'm honestly still trying to figure why they'd claim Slovakia, but not Sicily.

SnivyLink likes this.
  2. Miner Tu sais qu'il fallait que je le leur fasse

[​IMG]
    A map of the United States of Poland, a political concept conceived in 1917 by Ignacy Jan Paderewski - and involved the creation of a Polish federation with equality guaranteed to all ethnicities and religions. It would have been divided into 4 regions: the Kingdoms of Poland (red), Lithuania (blue), Polesie (green), and Galicia (yellow), with a president reigning as the monarch of all four.

Larger version

3. The-Artist-64 Life is a Funeral Banned

This proposal for a divided California just hit the news. It's similar to Jefferson in that it's ultimately a bid for political representation.

[​IMG]

Kirook, Jasmak, Historyman 14 and 4 others like this.
  4. Black Moist towelette

Why not the Czech republic? Why anything on that map.

Etruscan-enthusiast35 likes this.
  5. Shaymin0000 Also exists

I think the funny part about it is that both states would've voted Democrat in 2016.
    (also, could they have picked a more ugly border?)

6. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's totally not an attempt at gerrymandering the border. Neither geography nor urban influence circles (city + hinterland) suggests that border.

HelloThere, Hawkeye, Kirook and 3 others like this.
  7. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
    Does anyone have a good map showing the Treaty of Tordesillas line in full?

8. Faeelin Lord of Ten Thousand Years

Pff, representation. I don't see any reason to let people in the gold regions have the right to vote.

Kaiser_Jaeger and VT45 like this.
  9. The-Artist-64 Life is a Funeral Banned

Well, I can understand why the interior counties would want to chart their own course given California's recent history. Every man should have the right to voice his opinion, and the urban-rural divide has created a lot of problems when it comes to this. On the other hand, I can agree with you in that I would try to package the proposal to appear as more of a solution to the state's problems than a gerrymandering "duct tape fix".

Seconded. It'd be a nice to have a worlda for that! :)

FleetMac, Sirion and Kaiser_Jaeger like this.
  10. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

i tried making one once, but it was a pretty unprofessional one just using available Worlda longitude lines. i don't think i saved it but i could whip one up if y'all want.

The-Artist-64 likes this.
  11. FancyHat Well-Known Member

This doesn't actually fix the rural/urban divide anyway, because "New California" would still be dominated by coastal urban centers, particularly San Jose and San Diego. Also: "New California" is a ridiculous name.

HelloThere, Kirook, Gokbay and 5 others like this.
  12. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

This is a Chat topic, discuss it in the thread there. This thread is for history, not contemporary politics.

Philip and Zagan like this.
  13. Lampiao Well-Known Member

14. Lampiao Well-Known Member

A part of the so-called Cantino planisphere (1502) highlighting the Tordesillas line. Newfoundland and Greenland are shown as possessions of the King of Portugal.

[​IMG]

Kirook, Swede, Crying and 5 others like this.
  15. Lampiao Well-Known Member

In Wiki you can actually find a huge version of the Cantino planisphere that you can easily read (if you're familiar with paleography and 16th century Portuguese). It's quite interesting to see how present day toponymy can be traced back to these first navigations.

16. Reepicheep Doubt not, Reepicheep.

[​IMG]

Conversions of the last three into WorldA

17. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Division of Japan.png
    The proposed division and occupation of Japan by the allies after World War II. The Soviets would occupy Hokkaido and Tōhoku, American would occupy most of Honshu, the British would occupy Chūgoku and Kyushu, and the Republic of China would occupy Shikoku.

Tokyo would be a multinational occupation zone and Osaka would be jointly administrated by Britain and the RoC.

Kol, SnivyLink, oberdada and 29 others like this.
  18. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

LtmuNZ.png
    The division of the United States as proposed in the 1864 map Our Country as Traitors and Tyrants would have it.
    This proposed that, through intervention from Britain and France, the Confederacy would gain independence and greater land, while the Union would be fractured into three nations: the Pacific States, the Interior States, and the Atlantic States.

Kol, Kirook, Bomster and 16 others like this.
  19. Somewhereovertherainbow Well-Known Member

Was there any plan for the multinational occupation zone and Osaka if/when Communist China kicks the ROC off the mainland during the Chinese Civil War?

Kol likes this.
  20. Faeelin Lord of Ten Thousand Years

Since we didn't get this division, I assume it became moot right?

Kol likes this.