Proposal: A Co-Lab Timeline?: Lonely Historian seeking Partner

Firstly, my apologies if this isn't the appropriate way to suggest this idea. I've spent some time sifting through site rules and regulations to try to find direction for a "Classifieds"-type post, but can't find anything specific. If I missed something and am simply "cluttering up" the main board, feel free to tag this for a take down.

Anyways, despite my desires to contribute a strong timeline to the forum, after a handful of false starts (partially created by the rise of medical difficulties on my part), I've realized that to gurantee any audience I generate the stream of content produced, as well as lighten the burden of heavy/focused research or refine the setting by allowing for multiple contributors to cover different tangents one author might not have the interest or foundational knowledge to cover, it might be better if two alternate historians (IE Me and a co-lab partner) worked together and held each other accountable for our expected output. As such, I thought I'd put the idea out there and see if any of you are interested in such a collaberation.

I have specific topics/POD's of my own I'd like to cover (The never started Twice-Blooming Tulip/Franco-Ottoman War being among them), but of course any timeline would be jointly decided upon with the equal blessing and input of both sides. Ideally, I'm looking for somebody interested in covering (and have my strongest foundation and interest in) the Classical Era the early-mid era of Colonization of the New World/Thirty Years War period, or the 1860's as our starting point, and can suggest specific scenarios to an interested party if they're looking for inspiration.

-With all respect due,

FillyofDelphi

mad orc

Banned
Firstly, my apologies if this isn't the appropriate way to suggest this idea. I've spent some time sifting through site rules and regulations to try to find direction for a "Classifieds"-type post, but can't find anything specific. If I missed something and am simply "cluttering up" the main board, feel free to tag this for a take down.

Anyways, despite my desires to contribute a strong timeline to the forum, after a handful of false starts (partially created by the rise of medical difficulties on my part), I've realized that to gurantee any audience I generate the stream of content produced, as well as lighten the burden of heavy/focused research or refine the setting by allowing for multiple contributors to cover different tangents one author might not have the interest or foundational knowledge to cover, it might be better if two alternate historians (IE Me and a co-lab partner) worked together and held each other accountable for our expected output. As such, I thought I'd put the idea out there and see if any of you are interested in such a collaberation.

I have specific topics/POD's of my own I'd like to cover (The never started Twice-Blooming Tulip/Franco-Ottoman War being among them), but of course any timeline would be jointly decided upon with the equal blessing and input of both sides. Ideally, I'm looking for somebody interested in covering (and have my strongest foundation and interest in) the Classical Era the early-mid era of Colonization of the New World/Thirty Years War period, or the 1860's as our starting point, and can suggest specific scenarios to an interested party if they're looking for inspiration.

-With all respect due,

FillyofDelphi
I am interested in the 1860s one .

I mean i love that era in general and my creativity flows most in that era .

In general then. Alright, would you like me to suggest a scenario in specific then?

You mention the Thirty Years War period. Any specifics regarding that time frame?

Indeed. I have a scenarios in my head, either of which I'd love to cover, but of course the exact topic would be jointed decided. Hammering out the details would take place in a private dicussion, but the general overview is that Abd al-Malik dosen't keel over during the Battle of Kser El, living a vital few years longer and solidifying Morocco's policy northwards and prioritizing its relationship with as well as acting as an intermediary between the Ottomans and English, deepening Protestant-Islamic co-operation and keeping Moroccian attention pointed north during the Portuguese Succession Crisis. This leads to an increased Ottoman presence in the Western Med. and Moroccan activity against Spain while bolstering the British position in their rivalry with Spain in these critical years, eventually spoiling the Iberian Union as the duel front naval conflict ends up exhausting Spain to the point that an English Armada (Co-ordinated with an Islamic Armada from the opposite front) are successful in allowing the Alliance to put their sponsored candidate on the Portugese throne as well as extracting some colonial concessions from a navally prostrate Spain, ending Iberia's dominance of the Spice Islands trade and New World. In particular, exploring the differing development of settlement/commerical activity in those regions is something I'd like to see: particularly the dynamics of a more culturally diverse colonization of the New World and shifts in trading dynamics/commerce, as well as the impact an earlier decline in Spainish and earlier rise of Northern European/Protestant power has on the Reformation.

However, I'm more than open to any alterations/suggestions, so long as they result in covering the colonial and commercial front and not just affairs in Europe.

So a POD of 1578, IIRC. To be honest, there would be significant differences between the Thirty Years War of OTL and a “Thirty Years War” ITTL.

I thought you were proposing a POD closer to the beginning of the war. Thank you for the clarification.

So a POD of 1578, IIRC. To be honest, there would be significant differences between the Thirty Years War of OTL and a “Thirty Years War” ITTL.

I thought you were proposing a POD closer to the beginning of the war. Thank you for the clarification.

No problem. As I said, I'm certainly open to other POD's in the period: The Wars of Religion and general Reformation though I feel is being more that attiquitely covered as the focus of a timeline at the moment by Zulfurium in his Their Cross to Bear. I was using "Thirty Years War Period" as more of a chronological marker for the broader late 16th-mid 17th century.

Indeed. I have a scenarios in my head, either of which I'd love to cover, but of course the exact topic would be jointed decided. Hammering out the details would take place in a private dicussion, but the general overview is that Abd al-Malik dosen't keel over during the Battle of Kser El, living a vital few years longer and solidifying Morocco's policy northwards and prioritizing its relationship with as well as acting as an intermediary between the Ottomans and English, deepening Protestant-Islamic co-operation and keeping Moroccian attention pointed north during the Portuguese Succession Crisis. This leads to an increased Ottoman presence in the Western Med. and Moroccan activity against Spain while bolstering the British position in their rivalry with Spain in these critical years, eventually spoiling the Iberian Union as the duel front naval conflict ends up exhausting Spain to the point that an English Armada (Co-ordinated with an Islamic Armada from the opposite front) are successful in allowing the Alliance to put their sponsored candidate on the Portugese throne as well as extracting some colonial concessions from a navally prostrate Spain, ending Iberia's dominance of the Spice Islands trade and New World. In particular, exploring the differing development of settlement/commerical activity in those regions is something I'd like to see: particularly the dynamics of a more culturally diverse colonization of the New World and shifts in trading dynamics/commerce, as well as the impact an earlier decline in Spainish and earlier rise of Northern European/Protestant power has on the Reformation.
For a maximum Spain-screw, you could combine that strong Morocco of yours with an Ottoman victory at Lepanto.

-With all respect due,

FillyofDelphi
I'd love to, but I have troubles updating my tl in a timely manner.

For a maximum Spain-screw, you could combine that strong Morocco of yours with an Ottoman victory at Lepanto.

That would involve pushing back the POD for almost another two decades, though I'm more than willing to explore Lepanto as part of a continued expansion of Islam timeline in conjunction with somebody who know a thing or two about those years to help fill in my knowledge gap. A total Spain-screw is likely to butterfly away the entire Anglo-Spainish naval rivalry, though.

I'd love to, but I have troubles updating my tl in a timely manner.

He he... you and me both.

Anyways, glad to see this idea is attracting some interest.

If you’re not looking for a total Spain-screw, then maybe the idea that you presented could be the beginning of a Habsburg-screw. It could tie into an alternate Thirty Years War.

If you’re not looking for a total Spain-screw, then maybe the idea that you presented could be the beginning of a Habsburg-screw. It could tie into an alternate Thirty Years War.

Oh, the timeline would certainly give the "Hapsburg Jaw" a reason to be perpetually in a pout position, no doubt about that. Any timeline with a weaker Hapsburg Spain, stronger Dutch (From their growing role in trade via the decline of Portgual and ability to project power via a weaker Spain) and English involvement in external affairs and strength in general, and a tougher Ottomans from being part of the Protestant Alliance and not having to constantly parry Iberian incursions on its naval fronts is one in which Hapsburg Austria is going to be in for a bad time as well. And the Wars of Religion are still a pressing matter: if anything, the alliance between the "Misbelievers" would strengthen the sense of threat to/need to remain pure in the Catholic Church, leading to greater friction within the HRE as the Protestant states push their privlages and bounderies harder and the Bishops defend every inch of their privlage/perogatives to save their subject's souls (And their own lands and offices...)

If you're more interested in religious/continetal affairs and exploring the idea of the joint timeline, we could split the duties that way: I could do updates/content on colonial and commercial/exploration developments while the Mother Countries are your domain. That would allow us to feed ideas to one another that could generate inspiration to encourage us to produce updates: changes on the home front obviously shifting policy towards and behavior in their external holdings and vice versa

As much as I would like to collaborate on a timeline, there are a couple of limiting factors. One, my knowledge is centered on specific regions of Europe and naval activity of the time. Secondly, I will be out of country for an extended period in the next few months.

I wish you luck and if you have any questions of me that may help in your writing, please send a private message.

As much as I would like to collaborate on a timeline, there are a couple of limiting factors. One, my knowledge is centered on specific regions of Europe and naval activity of the time. Secondly, I will be out of country for an extended period in the next few months.

I wish you luck and if you have any questions of me that may help in your writing, please send a private message.

No problem. I was merely speculating, though I may certainly use you as a sound-board at times if I have a question.

Anyways, it seems as though while there is interest in this particular timeline, the whole idea of doing it jointly isen't so easily accomplished. Never the less, several of you have offered to help review my work, and knowing that I have that and viewers should give me the motivation I need to actuallly produce and publish my work. Thank you all for your support and time: you'll be seeing the start of this sometime within the next few days!