Project X: CaliBoy's Very Own Free-Form AH TL

Project X: An Experimental Free-Form Alternate History Work

By Steve “Alternate Steve” L.

Prologue: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, it's Steve L.-you all on AlternateHistory.com also know me by my longtime username on here, "CaliBoy1990".

For those of you who enjoy the alternate history/counter-factual genre of speculative fiction, you may notice that this story is going to be little bit different than a lot of others. Most AH stories, as you may know, progress in a linear format, or at least mostly so(with a few exceptions here and there). This one, however, will take another approach; it'll basically be more story-driven than by linearity, though I do plan on introducing some hard chronological historical background at some point during the story.
In any case, the POD is set in 1757, about 20 years prior to the Declaration of Independence, and the changes that followed over the next two and a half centuries would eventually produce a world that in some ways looks similar to our own universe, to one extent or the other, but is also quite a fair bit different from ours as well; you'll see this dynamic play out as the story is gradually written down and released.

The present day of this story's universe is-as of this writing-in 2021 but nonetheless, even with it's primarily non-linear format, the story will mostly focus on events that happened in the historical past(from, say, 30 years earlier, and before) at first, though more recent ones will also be covered at some point, too.

Apart from the historical material, though, you can also expect some narrative-centered posts as well, and I will do my best to introduce as many diverse perspectives as possible; after all, wouldn't it make things more interesting that way?

In any case, I do hope you all will enjoy reading this story as much as I will writing it down and sharing it with the world.....

-Steve L.

(P.S.-I originally posted this via the Vivaldi browser, and if you see another version of this TL titled, "
Project X: CaliBoy Experimental Free-Form TL" please ignore it! It was posted prematurely, by mistake, and I'm not even sure how that happened since I didn't click the post thread button; I've since asked the Mods to delete that version since I could not fix the title-wasn't worth the hassle, IMHO: this is the correct version. Anyway, apologies for any inconveniences in advance.)

Post #1(Preview for now!)
Well, okay, folks. It's a little bit late, and not totally finished yet, but nonetheless, here is the very first bit of material for the TL. Hope you all both enjoy what's already written down, and look forward to what's to come!

Post #1: A Look At How It All Began

From the personal blog of a U.S. History 1201 student at California State University, Santa Clara, fall 2019:

When it comes to all the nations of the world, it is sometimes argued that the United States has one of the most fascinating histories of any country; from America's humble beginnings as the world's first democratic republic to the world-renowned superpower that it is today, our country's history is rich and storied, and there are many different nuances to explore. So, with that said, how did we get here? Let's start at the beginning.....

If we want to truly understand just what led to the American Revolution and how, it would help to first take a look at the French and Indian Wars.....

One of the early significant battles of the conflict in what is now the Northeast U.S. was at Fort William Henry, in August 1757.....ultimately, after the seventh day dawned the French were able to capture the fort, but this victory came at a noticeable cost. Late that morning, General Louis-Joseph de Montcalm was seriously wounded during the final struggle for the fort, and would require medical attention for some time, before he could recover enough not to be completely bedridden; additionally, certain of his injuries had hobbled him enough to the point where he was no longer able to effectively serve on as direct of a position in relation to the front lines, as he had before[1]. This was, as it turned out, a turn of events that Montcalm himself was deeply bothered by for the rest of his life, according to some of his personal letters, including some first publicly published in Louis Van Sickle's 1951 history text, “Montcalm: The Man and the Myth”[2].

[1]The first significantly noticeable difference from OTL! Louis-Joseph de Montcalm was a particularly famous French general during the French and Indian Wars, but in our universe, he died after the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Sept. 1759; here, although badly wounded in the Battle of Fort William Henry(or, just Fort Henry for short ITTL), since he was transferred to a safer position he was no longer in danger of dying in combat, thus he lived rather longer ITTL after recovering from his injuries.....

[2]And, although Montcalm's name lives on IOTL as well, in this universe he actually became even more famous; although his time on the front lines ended in 1757, that did not end his career altogether, and he would later gain fame elsewhere, particularly in the service of the Patriots in TTL's American Revolution.....

Just how big is the United States ITTL compared to OTL?

Hi, Ted! Sorry I only got to replying to this just now(been busy with school work, etc.), but without spoiling too much, it's definitely a little bit larger than OTL's America; it's also got Baja California and a few extra bits of Mexico, but I won't go any further than that for now.....but I hope you'll like what's in store, nonetheless. :cool:

This has an interesting premise to be sure so I'll be keeping an eye on any new updates but for now, I'm unsure if I'll keep up with it. I'll need to see a bit more of this timeline before making a call on that but I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

This has an interesting premise to be sure so I'll be keeping an eye on any new updates but for now, I'm unsure if I'll keep up with it. I'll need to see a bit more of this timeline before making a call on that but I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

Hey there. Nice to hear you're keeping an eye on things, indeed: I'll try to get some more stuff uploaded soon.....

Sub'd! Interested in where this goes.

Oh, wow. Hey there, Napo, glad to see you stop by! It's a true honor. While I don't want to spoil too much, I can say that the world generally is in at least slightly better shape ITTL than in OTL in many regards, but you may also be interested to know that I've spent quite a bit of time on the cultural aspects of the TL, some of which may prove to be quite fascinating(here's a couple of hints: ever wondered what a "Little Tokyo" might look like in Seattle, or what might go into the fillings of Colorado-style pasties?).

Wow. Well, I probably woulda gotten around to something by now, but man, this past month's just been cra-zy! Hopefully, though, I'll be able to get back on track soon.

Last edited:
Hi folks. I again apologize for the lack of updates, but college has been more of a challenge than I'd anticipated: hopefully once this semester's over I can really start picking thins back up again.....in the meantime, thanks to all who've commented and liked my posts. :cool:

New post coming in soon! In the meantime, here's a teaser, and watch this space.....

Post #2-How It All Began: After the French & Indian War.....

After the British victory in the French & Indian War, the frontier of eastern North America began to.....

Post #2's first part is (finally) up.
Well, hi folks-sorry it took so long to get back to this, but hopefully this lets y'all know that the TL's not dead(not at all). Just hadn't gotten things to work out as well as I'd hoped initially. So anyway, thought I'd let y'all know that Post #2 is going to be a big one so I've decided to split it up into several parts.

Post #2a-How It All Began: After the French & Indian War.....
Excerpt from: “Land of Liberty-The Rise of America” by Melissa Carter and Richard Valdez, 2nd Edition
© 1991, Cal. State Univ. Press

After the British were able to secure their victory against the French at the conclusion of the French & Indian war, the frontier of the Thirteen Colonies began to expand significantly westward as settlers began to pour in from elsewhere in the British Empire and other regions.....

For a brief moment in time, the British were confident in believing that the future was quite bright for their ventures in the New World, but several complications quickly began to emerge. Chiefly, the Mother Country's debt had ballooned significantly, causing serious headaches for the government...

Therefore, policymakers in London found it necessary to raise taxes on their colonies, including their colonies in the New World, including in North America, with two of the first of these being the Sugar Act in 1764 and the Stamp Act that followed 1765. However, though, there was a problem; many in the Thirteen Colonies were not particularly amenable to higher taxation--especially in many poorer regions--and even as early as 1764, some protests against these new Acts had already begun in earnest, with later American Revolutionary luminaries Samuel Adams and James Otis leading many of the efforts in Massachusetts.....

Well, hi there, folks. For those of y'all who may have been missing the timeline.....I truly am sorry. I was not only busy trying to keep up with college, but there was other stuff I was trying to take care of.....and I had a little bit of bad luck along the way(including the fact that the original document for this story somehow managed to get corrupted. 😟)

That said, though, I haven't forgotten about the TL at all, and here's a neat little holiday themed story for y'all!

Special Post #1-An Alternate Universe Christmas.

Arapahoe County, Colorado
Dec. 25, 2021

It was a genuinely happy and jolly Christmas in this old Lincolnian mansionette lying around the picturesque slopes of the Rocky Mountains just outside of Aurora, and 31-year-old Althea Mitchell, or “Allie”, as she was known to all of her friends and family, was really enjoying the party her old friend Marissa Trevelyan had thrown tonight. It was really cold outside with temperatures dropping well below freezing, but she was used to the chilly weather, having lived in this very same area her whole life, and besides, the house was well-heated anyway. The pretty 5'11” brunette was wearing a lovely light blue dress and pretty white slippers, and was currently standing next to a large table with many different dishes; plov, kurutob, injera, sushi, Mexican-style barbecue and even Colorado-style pasties, just to name a few. Althea took a bit of the kurutob, one of the pasties, and some of the barbecue and some root beer, but just as she was finishing getting her plate, someone said “Allie?”.

She turned around and saw a woman waving at her nearby; she had a distinct appearance and was about as tall as Althea herself. She smiled, almost immediately recognizing the woman next to her. “Oh, Shahnoza!”, said Althea, and the two women embraced. She and Shahnoza Kalontarova had met in college, and although the Tajikistani-American lady was just over a decade older than Althea, the two had become friends fast during their time together, which continued after their studies had ended. “I've missed being around you, Noziya.”, said Althea, “It's been so long since we've really been together.” “Oh, I know, right, Allie?”, Shahnoza replied. “But I've just been so busy taking care of my kids and checking in on my mom, though, so I just haven't had the time to actually hang out with any of my friends.” She sighed. “Aw, it's okay, Noziya, I've had a few moments like that, too.”, Althea said reassuringly. “I'm just glad we're finally gonna have a chance to actually chill together for the first time in a while, you know?”, she added. “Anyway, now that I know you're here, I thought I'd introduce you to a few of my other friends who're also here tonight. Did you meet Marissa already, by the way?”

“Oh, the tall dark-haired lady with the greenish-blue eyes and dark blue dress?”, said Shahnoza. “Yes, she's very nice, indeed. Her last name is Cornish, I believe?”, she added. “Oh yeah, and her family's been here a long time, too.”, Althea replied. “Ah, that is interesting.”, Shahnoza said in return.

“Anyway,”, said Althea, “if you wanna meet those folks I was talking about, just follow me and I'll show you the way”, she said, grinning. “Sure, I'd love to meet everybody. Maybe get to know some folks a little, too.”, Shahnoza replied. “Alright then, let's go”, said an enthusiastic Althea, and she led Shahnoza over to a table where about twenty people were sitting.

“Oh, hey guys, guess what?”, said Althea. “I know a few of you guys may know her already, but for those of you who don't know, this is my college friend Shahnoza Kalontarova. Why not say hi, Shahnoza?”

“Hello, everybody! You can just call me Noziya for short. I've known Allie for a number of years now and we went to college together. It's nice to meet you all.”, Shahnoza said happily, eager to introduce herself. “H-hi there.”, Alisher Iskanderov, a geeky-looking, thin and tallish Uzbeki-American man with glasses, replied sheepishly. “Hiya, Miss Noziya. Name's Winston, how are you?” said Winston Scott-Price, a Jamaican/Trinidadian-American man with dreadlocks. “Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Kalontarova.”, James Matchett, a shorter and slightly stocky African-American man with glasses, said with a friendly smile on his face. “Hi, Noziya. My name's Alyssa! Allie told me about you some time back; nice to finally meet you in person!”, Alyssa Yamaguchi, a cheery Japanese-American lady with pigtails remarked. “Oh, me too. Glad y'all could join us tonight.”, said Corrina Martinez, a Mexican-American woman with short dark hair and wearing a white T-shirt with the words “Adventure Nation” emblazoned on it.

Shahnoza grinned widely. “Hey, mind if I sit down here?”, pointing to an empty chair next to where Althea had sat. “Sure, not a problem, it's all yours.”, said Alyssa from a few chairs down. “OK, thanks Alyssa.”, Shahnoza replied.

“Anyway, why not tell us a bit about yourself, Noziya?”, said Althea.

“Sure!”, said Shahnoza. “Anyway, I grew up in a nice little town not that far from Tijuana, Baja California.....”

So yeah, that's basically it, but I hope you enjoyed it, nonetheless.

(P.S., I also had some footnotes here, too! But I'll have to wait until tomorrow to add those details in, though.)

Last edited: