Prof_Chemical's workshop

Schleswig-Holstein question
9zHl83I.png

part of a series whose premise is "what if liberal-nationalists took self determination seriously" this one belongs specifically to a 1848 set. in said year the king of denmark - seeing the writing on the wall - announced a new liberal constitution. sounds good right? only there's a problem, the duchy of schleswig was going to be reintegrated into the kingdom of denmark. This incited a rebellion of the german speakers living in the duchies of schleswig/holstein in favour of the territories gaining independence from the danish crown (that held them in personal union) and the development of closer ties with german states. in our timeline after a war between denmark and prussia it was decided that denmark could keep the duchies but could not integrate them. so what if instead of the whole duchy going to either denmark or germany what if the parts that revolted left and the parts that didn't stayed. i've assumed the german speaking parts did and the danish parts didnt. not sure on the frisians so i just kept them. the above map would look like the following if i was remotely talented at drawing.
0JF57S8.png

Belgian revolution
PfbVF4k.png

part of a series whose premise is "what if liberal-nationalists took self determination seriously" this one belongs specifically to a 1830 set. in said year the predominantly catholic southern provinces of the netherlands broke out in revolt. they thought the king was a bit of a despot and weren't happy with the disproportionate under-representation in the government/army. The only initial difference here to otl is that the catholic provinces of brabant and limburg also succeed. following on from there, the german parts leave, the remaining flemish speaking part of france is acquired and the flemish speaking north gets autonomy for much the same reason it does iotl [snooty, discriminating francophone businessmen??? ;)] in a more secular future maybe the north of belgium will rejoin with the netherlands?

another source map, i was actually quite happy with my q-bam rendition this time because the province borders were already helpfully drawn by other people
6qgmkkv.gif

once again, the poor frisians are ignored, will they ever get their time to shine?

Kingdoms under the Patriarchate of Rome
fcYtO5o.png

a w.i.p, the idea behind this map was a europe that mostly stagnated when it got to the end of the high middle ages. why? i dont like the clothes of the late middle ages as much, but more importantly when i think of the "cannon" feudalism, this time period is in my opinion the closest fit. north africa is still muslim, it is only shown because it falls under the patriarchate of rome. the manner of its depiction (ie the choice in the) is solely due to the fact that i made this map with the provinces.bmp file from eu4. not sure how the christians would actually want to carve the place up in this world, but something like spain while it was only half christian. theres a bunch more i could say about this map if theres anything youd want clarifying but i dont know how to go about saying it without a prompt.

United Slovenia
IZJ1xX0.png
part of a series whose premise is "what if liberal-nationalists took self determination seriously" this one belongs specifically to a 1848 set. in said year the revolutionaries of austria sought the federalisation of austria into a collection of national kingdoms , each with their own assembly. only delegations of different nationalities had differing ideas of what should be a kingdom, alongside which kingdom a certain territory should belong to. there was also the question of how much - if any - of austria should join a new united germany. the slovenes were in favour of uniting the disparate majority slovene lands into one kingdom/province of an austrian empire that was not a part of germany. after all the core of slovenia was at the time part of both the german confederation and the kingdom of austria, so if austria were to join germany that might include them! ive coloured it independant here but i might retcon that, it depends. slovenia might have a reason to become independent after the pod, like austria joining germany, or the empire collapsing.

based of course on the united states of austria but also more directly on this map;
4wlI5gi.png

for the 1848 map i know i want;
>united italy
>united germany
>federal austria
>independent poland

probably a united romania too, just depends on if i can justify keeping the russians and ottomans out. not sure on switzerland, alsac, savoy, nice, brittany and france generally. were there any regional independence movements in france at the time? would alsacc want to be french, german or independant? would it be weird if i gave savoy and aosta to switzerland?

progress update
Gf0KY8B.png

still got to chip away at the nightmare that is germany-czechia-poland. not only the borders between languages, but which speakers (say prussian poles, german bohemians, or lithuanian poles) feel their nationality is not tied to the language they speak. whether the parts of switzerland peeled off by napoleon would miss the former autonomy they had enough to want to be swiss again. minor border adjustments in germany-austria and italy-switzerland because the irl borders just hurt my soul, going to justify with pre nationalism pods. Hapsburg europe is not one state because afaik there was no call for an empire wide parliament so im going with a uk-canada etc sort of situation. idk who is going to be king of unified poland yet. orthodox south slavs seceded and joined serbia. man bosnia is going to be a trip.

wallachia-moldavia unified in 1848, still nominally an ottoman vassal, alt crimea happens and romania takes bessarabia. at some point transylvania votes to unify with romania. some kind of hre/german confederation deal going on with greater romania. romania ends up like austrias egypt-syria-libya etc and eats up the non principality ottoman romania lands.

savoy still exists because it looked gross as part of greater italy. Dont like france in this period, the unitary nationalism tastes very authoritarian and kinda fascist. cant trust them with any minorities. i know irl brittany, alsac n all that were still cool with being french despite all the abuses but in this timeline ill have them break off from oppression based unrest. arpitania and occitania may still have to suffer under parisian yoke for quite some time. oil is lost cause.

i have a bunch of old maps to upload here ive just been lazy

are the personal union colours ok? aso should the border be thicker?

pixel bois
so ive been doing some pixel art;
woman wip.png

male/ female template, would be interested in some information on bodytypes. (really i mean skeleton types, since all these people are going to have roughly the same muscle and fat mass as the are meant to be fighters, the difference is just where it get placed)
banners and standards final template.png

some kit, will work on more as time passes.
armour and clothes.png

fluted breast plate, doing clothes and armour is going to be the hardest bit by far imo.
heater arms.png

wip on some arms, the shields are historical (except the dragon) the japanese banners are not.

i have a bunch of old/ current wip maps on my pc i was planning to use this thread as a means of sharing but i never got round to posting them. updating because i have been quite taken with making these templates the past couple days and it's something a bit different.