Pro Aris et Pro Focis (P&S: New York City)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, can someone spoon-feed me a bit here? What was the whole point of the subterfuge with the mobsters, besides taking advantage of some criminals to get building materials?

And what's the purpose of the berm at the mine? Camouflage? I just can't form a mental picture of the setup.

Maybe I just need more sleep...

Schumpel drove into the berm. A canopy of two by fours held up canvas and plastic, which in turn held the piles of earth. "Pop your hood, please, sir," a third teenager said.

"Why?"

"So we can disconnect your electrical system so the car will be usable after the attack, sir."

Don't really need to bother with that. A car forms its own Farraday Cage.

Okay, can someone spoon-feed me a bit here? What was the whole point of the subterfuge with the mobsters, besides taking advantage of some criminals to get building materials?

And what's the purpose of the berm at the mine? Camouflage? I just can't form a mental picture of the setup.

Maybe I just need more sleep...

Okay, this is what I'm aiming at:

Pro Aris and Pro Focis is going to continue after the Exchange flattens New York. The Hadleyburg mine is a seed of survival.

The valley in which the salt mine exists is very small, known only to local hunters, the U.S. Geological Survey, and someone at the railroad company who has a mind for minutiae, assuming they're still alive. In an non-industrial society, salt isn't worth its weight in gold. Gold's worth its weight in salt.

The made man and his soldiers are there to provide tension for the survivors in the mine. Testaturco is going to want to run the community, and he'll own most of the trade goods, so he'll be rich. Everyone needs to work to get enough to eat. Will he?

There are crimes which were committed to make this place work. The salt mine is a case of squatting. R.J. may have committed justifiable homicide in shooting Big Boy, but there has to be a trial. They commandeered plow trucks.

The berm is a side product; they dug a big ditch to park the cars and cover them, using the berm as one of the supports for the dirt, etc. on the roof so they can keep the cars safe. They also pushed dirt up against a plywood and two-by-four frame to provide four feet of dirt, which should protect against fallout.

Joan and Company are proactive people. They read enough apocalyptic literature to say "Bleep that" to bare survival. (Alas, Babylon is one of the books she took from the apartment.) So they wanted a community big enough to specialize in skills but not one with too many mouths to feed. Unlike Tyler the white supremacist in Flatwater, she doesn't have an ideology, but she does have a regiment to be loyal to; the 71st and the 5th, and its people.

I never did mention where Hadleyburg was.... but that Altoona blast is going to make things interesting.

It's borderline ASB and the Soviets would have hit Europe anyway, treaty, or no treaty. It only exists so that there are intact countries for the purposes of the story.

Okay, this is what I'm aiming at:

Pro Aris and Pro Focis is going to continue after the Exchange flattens New York. The Hadleyburg mine is a seed of survival.

Ah, okay. As usual, I was over-thinking things.

The berm is a side product; they dug a big ditch to park the cars and cover them, using the berm as one of the supports for the dirt, etc. on the roof so they can keep the cars safe. They also pushed dirt up against a plywood and two-by-four frame to provide four feet of dirt, which should protect against fallout.

That was a big part of what was confusing to me. I just couldn't picture it. I suppose they're exercising an overabundance of caution, since radiation doesn't really hurt cars, and four feet of dirt won't do much to shield from potential EMP.

They also pushed dirt up against a plywood and two-by-four frame to provide four feet of dirt, which should protect against fallout.

Hm. Wouldn't the overburden of the salt mine provide more than sufficient shielding? Especially if it's dug into solid rock...

Testaturco is going to want to run the community, and he'll own most of the trade goods, so he'll be rich. Everyone needs to work to get enough to eat. Will he?

I'm guessing the people with the M-14s are going to have to disagree with him on that. :D

Last edited:
Don't really need to bother with that. A car forms its own Farraday Cage.

I'm not sure it's such a pat answer that cars wouldn't be affected by EMP - from what I've read, the tests performed by the EMP Commission weren't very complete or well-constructed. In truth, we really don't know what would happen. I'd suspect that most cars that weren't running at the time of a HEMP would be at least usable, if in somewhat suboptimal condition.

That said, for a Faraday cage to be effective it can't have any gaps in contact in the metal shielding; panel joint lines, radiator grilles, gaskets, etc. would be points of entry for EMP. Again, it's not clear that there's a huge risk, but it's certainly worth protecting against.

Part 29: The Bridge

Riker's Island
1225 hours

The staff didn't stand a chance. They either fled or died.

A Gangster Disciple shotcaller handed Lefty a set of keys, shaking off the blood. "You go open the doors. Let our people out. Them and the Kings. Leave the damned Aryans where they are."

"Okay," Lefty said.

He started moving down the cell block, unlocking every door he saw. More and more prisoners came out. Some were white - it couldn't be helped. They were mixed up with the rest of the population. However, anyone with a swastika or a German flag was out of luck. They died as well.

Before he knew it, he was free. The prisoners followed after him.

"Where do we go?"

"There. The bus." The shotcaller pointed to the Q100 bus.

The inmates stormed it. The shotcaller said to the driver, "Take us out of here."

"You aren't going to have trouble from me," the driver said. "Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhere but Manhattan."

Lefty got out of the front row seat and let the shotcaller have it. The shotcaller said, "Give this man a gun."

A shotgun was pressed into his hands. "If the driver says boo, shoot him."

"He ain't gonna say boo," Lefty replied. "He's going to get out of here like the rest of us."

"Don't matter. Anyone get in the way, he dies."

Cross-Bronx Expressway
1249 hours

The Lieutenant felt a heavy hand on his shoulder. "I am awake."

"Sir. Take a look at that bus behind us," said Sergeant Martinez.

"City bus?"

"Yep. That's the Riker's Island shuttle," Martinez said. "And it's full on inmates, not civilians."

"Uh, oh." He looked. "What can we do about it?"

"We can stop them, sir. We have the firepower. And it ain't right that those scum get out while women and children are stuck here."

"Martinez, how far do you think they're going to get with a City bus?" First Sergeant Stone said.

"It ain't right, Top."

The Lieutenant checked his weapon. "Lock and load, C Company! Driver, block the road.

The bus driver looked at the Lieutenant as if he were a mad man.

"For decency's sake. Or because I'll shoot you," the Lieutenant continued.

The driver pulled ahead and swerved his bus to the left.

The shotcaller said, "What the fuck?"

The driver tried to squeeze the commandeered bus around the charter bus to the left. There was not enough room. He tried backing out, but traffic was already filling the right-hand lanes. He stopped.

Lefty stepped out of the bus, ready to fire the shotgun if need be. The Lieutenant had his hands on the grip and the upper receiver of his M-16.

The Lieutenant called out "Throw out your weapons! Now! Throw them out and you can go in peace."

"Fuck him. Waste him."

Lefty fired.

The Lieutenant felt the blow of the shot hitting his left thigh and his groin. He fell to the ground. He tried to raise his rifle to reply. A second shot shattered his left arm. He fell backward.

"I'm bleeding to death."

He thought he heard thirty rifles open up. He thought he saw the shooter double over clutching his belly. He thought he saw rifle fire punch through the Q100's glass.

He did hear the sirens wailing.

"Thought they weren't going to do that."

Things were beginning to turn dark. His brain was running out of oxygen. Just enough...

"Thanks, Lord, for letting me jump the queue a bit... protect Joan... into Your hands I commend my --"

Heaven opened up before him.

Lefty clutched his torn belly. "Get me a doctor."

"Get the Lieutenant!" he heard a Guardsman cry.

"Too late. Get under what shelter you can, boys."

"It's not fair..." Lefty moaned. "It's not fair. I only wanted to live. Don't I have a right to - "

The flames of Hell opened up before him.

The Lieutenant's body didn't have enough oxygen around him to completely reduce him to ash; he charred, like a book thrown in the fireplace. His rifle started to cook off his unfired ammunition as metal heated and melted. Then the blast wave came and reduced him to powder. His remains fell into the East River.

He had always wanted to be buried at sea.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's such a pat answer that cars wouldn't be affected by EMP - from what I've read, the tests performed by the EMP Commission weren't very complete or well-constructed.

Thing is the mine is probably far enough away from any initiations for HEMP not to be a problem. Ordinary ground and air bursts do generate EM pulses, but they only become an issue at ranges where anything electronic has already either melted in the heat pulse, or been smashed to bits by the blast wave.

Thing is the mine is probably far enough away from any initiations for HEMP not to be a problem. Ordinary ground and air bursts do generate EM pulses, but they only become an issue at ranges where anything electronic has already either melted in the heat pulse, or been smashed to bits by the blast wave.

The idea is that if there is a rogue detonation or an off course detonation, the cars will be safe.

Well, if an off-target initiation is close enough to effect the vehicles with EM energy it will be the least of the worries of those in the mine. ;)

Good work on the latest chapter, btw.

Thank you all for your kind words and your encouragement. This has been a hard chapter to write. I'm not sure if the Lieutenant died as a hero or a fool, but with all his flaws, he was fun to create.

New York is gone.

Now we shift to a salt mine near a little city in Pennsylvania that time and the economy forgot, where three hundred people await the arrival of the last car which is racing the Russian missiles.

Garrison

Donor
In the TL the Lieutenant won't be remembered for the way he died, the bombs erased that from history, he'll be remembered for his efforts to give the people in that salt mine a chance at survival.

Rest in peace, Lieutenant. You will be sorely missed. :(

Honestly, GAB, I've enjoyed reading every post you've put up on this thread. Keep up the good work, alright? :D

That is sad.

Then again, World War Three, etc.

How would you rather die, being roasted inside a bus, or like one of the good guys on a prototype of Con Air? (In your seat, or on your feet?) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.