Prince Henry Frederick Stuart lives and gets to pick a bride. Who would he choose?

So I've been trying to figure out what would have happened if Henry Frederick Stuart didn't die prematurely. I have him marrying Catherine de'Medici (1593-1629) when he's still the Prince of Wales. When Catherine dies in 1629 he has the chance to remarry without his father's interference. This is where I start running into difficulties. The contemporary Danish Princesses are from a morganatic marriage, and the Swedes are out of the picture. This leaves only the German and Dutch. So, I've stumbled into a personal blind spot. I don't really know how to accurately gauge and compare the relative prestige of different German princesses.

Here is a list of the potential protestant candidates that I've found:

Sophie Eleonore of Saxony (1609-1671)
Magdalene Sibylle of Brandenburg-Bayreuth (1612-1687)
Sophie of Hesse-Kassel (1615-1670)
Countess Maria Magdalena of Oettingen-Baldern (1619 – 1688)
Sophie Elisabeth of Brandenburg (1616-1650)
Sophie Elisabeth of Saxe-Altenburg (1619-1680)
Johanna Elisabeth of Nassau-Hadamar (1619-1647)
Magdalene Sibylle of Saxony (1617-1668) – In the original timeline she marries the heir apparent to the Danish throne, but that didn’t happen until 1633.
Susanna Margarete of Anhalt-Dessau (1610-1663)
Countess Palatine Magdalene Catherine of Zweibrucken (1607-1648)
Sophie of Bradenburg- Ansbach (1614-1646)
Duchess Marie Elisabeth of Saxony (1610-1684) – she was already betrothed to Duke Friedrich II of Holstien Gottrop, but that can be butterflied.

Am I missing anyone? Which of these brides would be the best catch?

I have him marrying Catherine de'Medici (1593-1629) when he's still the Prince of Wales.
I'm not as familiar with this era of English history, but was de Medici a match the English supported? I vaguely recall this marriage was pursued on the de Medici side, but don't recall if the Stuarts had any interest. Prince Henry was intensely Protestant, so would he accept a Catholic match?

The other thing I recall about Henry is that he was interested in resolving the disfunction in Ireland. Perhaps he'd take the daughter of an Irish earl?

I'm not as familiar with this era of English history, but was de Medici a match the English supported? I vaguely recall this marriage was pursued on the de Medici side, but don't recall if the Stuarts had any interest. Prince Henry was intensely Protestant, so would he accept a Catholic match?

The other thing I recall about Henry is that he was interested in resolving the disfunction in Ireland. Perhaps he'd take the daughter of an Irish earl?
Prince Henry didn't want a Catholic Match, but Jame did. The two brides that James was considered before Henry died were Maria Appollonia of Savoy and Catherine de' Medici. Maria Appollonia became a nun, and her older sisters were already married. That removes the Savoys from the equation. We all know that the Spanish Match was a flop, and it seems unwise for him to wait around for the much younger Henriette Marie. I hadn't considered an Irish match. That's definitely something to look into.

VVD0D95

Banned

Prince Henry didn't want a Catholic Match, but Jame did. The two brides that James was considered before Henry died were Maria Appollonia of Savoy and Catherine de' Medici. Maria Appollonia became a nun, and her older sisters were already married. That removes the Savoys from the equation. We all know that the Spanish Match was a flop, and it seems unwise for him to wait around for the much younger Henriette Marie. I hadn't considered an Irish match. That's definitely something to look into.

Yes, james considered it and I believe the Medici were offering a huge dowry. An Irish Earle daughter would b considered a waste I think.

Yes, james considered it and I believe the Medici were offering a huge dowry. An Irish Earle daughter would b considered a waste I think.
The Medici could certainly afford a huge dowry, and the Stuarts were famously short of cash, so I can see the appeal despite the religious differences. I am curious whether Henry himself would accept it though. He was known to be the most Protestant of the Stuarts, and children did have some say in their marriage arrangements.

Agree that an Irish earl would probably be considered a poor match. Eldest sons were usually arranged to wed foreign princesses to secure alliances. I only suggested it here because I know Henry had a personal interest in Ireland, and it is possible that some earl had a daughter and no sons -- thus possibly bringing some Irish land and money into the crown, which would be a two birds with one stone sort of proposition: A major estate merging with the crown at a time of financial need and a royal link to Ireland to help quell rebellion.

VVD0D95

Banned
What if he didn't have a son? Who would be his best match?
Magdalene Catherine she’d be 16 in 1623.
The Medici could certainly afford a huge dowry, and the Stuarts were famously short of cash, so I can see the appeal despite the religious differences. I am curious whether Henry himself would accept it though. He was known to be the most Protestant of the Stuarts, and children did have some say in their marriage arrangements.

Agree that an Irish earl would probably be considered a poor match. Eldest sons were usually arranged to wed foreign princesses to secure alliances. I only suggested it here because I know Henry had a personal interest in Ireland, and it is possible that some earl had a daughter and no sons -- thus possibly bringing some Irish land and money into the crown, which would be a two birds with one stone sort of proposition: A major estate merging with the crown at a time of financial need and a royal link to Ireland to help quell rebellion.
I think he might begrudgingly accept it, and look to see what the woman herself was like

Magdalene Catherine she’d be 16 in 1623.
I think he might begrudgingly accept it, and look to see what the woman herself was like
He won't be a widower until 1629. Elisabeth Sophia of Mecklenburg (1613-1676) is the only one who would be 16 in 1629. Magdalene Sibylle of Brandenburg-Bayreuth would be 17. If we assume that the negotiation will take a while Sophie of Brandenburg- Ansbach, Emilie of Oldenburg-Delmenhorst, and Sophie of Hesse-Kassel would be the right age by the time the actual wedding happened.

I think he would go with Henrietta Marie of France just like OTL Charles I did, I don't think there's any reason to think James would not choose the same bride for his son

Also bear in mind the context of this era, the Medici were infamous for their involvement in the massacres of Huguenots in the French wars of religion. OTL Charles I faced massive amounts suspicion and prejudice for marrying a Catholic, let alone a Catholic from a family that was deeply tied to the counter-reformation and oppression of Protestants.

VVD0D95

Banned
I think he would go with Henrietta Marie of France just like OTL Charles I did, I don't think there's any reason to think James would not choose the same bride for his son

Henrietta Maria's a decade younger than him, I'm not sure he or James is going to wait that long for her to be of an age to get married.

Also bear in mind the context of this era, the Medici were infamous for their involvement in the massacres of Huguenots in the French wars of religion. OTL Charles I faced massive amounts suspicion and prejudice for marrying a Catholic, let alone a Catholic from a family that was deeply tied to the counter-reformation and oppression of Protestants.

That was one Medici, not the whole family.

And Cosimo’s family was only distantly related to her
You have made a very crucial error, namely assuming that English protestants of this era are remotely rational, OTL they refused Charles I's request for funds to raise an army against the Irish rebels because they believed that the King was secretly supporting them and that if he raised an army he'd join forces with them and invade England with a papist horde at his back. John Pym even tried to impeach Henrietta Marie on the charge of aiding the Irish rebels, so yeah a de Medici queen is not going to be a good look for the prince of Wales. On top of this a marriage to the Medici politically does nothing for the Stuarts at this time.