Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he come up with this plan while high on opium or
I'd give anything to find out, trust me XD But he was still sensible enough to say that "Britain will probably want to annex Egypt" and that Italy would have been happy with "quelque petite chose", so probably he wasn't even drunk, he was just being himself.

Out of the joke, I'd guess being excommunicated by the Pope weighted very heavily on his conscience, and he was desperately searching for a way to be forgiven.
That was my first thought, and I was surprised that in the book this is not even mentioned. Probably he kept this for himself, since that reason would have meant little to the British.

I'd give anything to find out, trust me XD But he was still sensible enough to say that "Britain will probably want to annex Egypt" and that Italy would have been happy with "quelque petite chose", so probably he wasn't even drunk, he was just being himself.

The more I learn about the Savoy kings, the more I'm shocked the dynasty lasted, in some form or another, for a thousand years.

Victor Emmanuel II would've been more at home in a small Piedmontese village than on a throne.

The more I learn about the Savoy kings, the more I'm shocked the dynasty lasted, in some form or another, for a thousand years.

Victor Emmanuel II would've been more at home in a small Piedmontese village than on a throne.
Apparently, if they could last that long and being overall a successful dynasty, it was due to constant gambling and tons of sheer luck. Totally agree on VEII: incidentally, this was one of the original reasons for choosing the POD of TTL... ;)

VEII would have been happiest being a country squire, riding, hunting, drinking and f***ing every day, except Sundays and other festivities when he would have been in Church.

However, the same argument would be applicable to all dynasties, none excluded: how did these idiots last on a throne so long? The more so, because the longer they lasted the more inbred they would become.

VEII would have been happiest being a country squire, riding, hunting, drinking and f***ing every day, except Sundays and other festivities when he would have been in Church.

However, the same argument would be applicable to all dynasties, none excluded: how did these idiots last on a throne so long? The more so, because the longer they lasted the more inbred they would become.
I do not personally subscribe to the theory that VEII was the son of a Tuscan butcher, but I do believe that his attitude through all his life gave much support to this.

I do not personally subscribe to the theory that VEII was the son of a Tuscan butcher, but I do believe that his attitude through all his life gave much support to this.
Well, he did have an affair with an illiterate woman from the peasantry, that he later married.

In this TL, the Bela Rosin will most likely live her whole life in her native Nizza; coincidentally, the birthplace of a certain poncho-wearing adventurer that probably won't have anything to do with southern Italy at all - or will he, since the mainland is still under Bourbon management.

Well, he did have an affair with an illiterate woman from the peasantry, that he later married.

In this TL, the Bela Rosin will most likely live her whole life in her native Nizza; coincidentally, the birthplace of a certain poncho-wearing adventurer that probably won't have anything to do with southern Italy at all - or will he, since the mainland is still under Bourbon management.
Yes, I bet his marriage to the Bela Rosin was seen by many as an indirect confirmation of his low birth. As for the adventurer with a poncho, for now his 1848 is the same as OTL: he's currently preparing the Speranza to set sail, and will arrive in Nice by June 23rd, that is, in almost three months with respect to the current date in the TL. He will find a vastly different situation in Italy with respect to OTL, so his journey will be...different. Being Garibaldi, he will not stay idle. ;)

He also raised her to the rank of the nobility (as Countess Mirafiori :eek: , so in a way she might be the protector saint of Fiat XDXD). The relation lasted more than 30 years, and produced a son and a daughter (the son inheriting the title). Luckily when she died in 1885, the Savoys vetoed her sepulture in the Pantheon.
Just to show the difference, Cavour also had a long relation with a Hungarian dancer, but never went as far as considering marrying her.

However, the Bela Rosin would not be likely to live in Nice: her father was a sergeant in the Grenadiers of Sardinia, and in 1847 (when the Bela Rosin is supposed to have started her dalliance with VE at the tender age of 14) commanded the security detail of Racconigi castle, set in a royal hunting preserve near Turin). What is going to happen in her life is not known, but certainly she will not hobnob with royal personages).

As @Tarabas said, Garibaldi has already lost his window of opportunity: by the time of his arrival in Nice, the war will be over. On the plus side, I am confident that Ferdinand will grant a blanket amnesty for all politicals to celebrate the victory, and Anita is not going to die in a marsh in Romagna fleeing from Rome. His future is still undecided.

Narrative Interlude #19: Fate in a fool's hands
Isola della Scala, Villa Pindemonte, Study of Prince Ferdinando - 4 April 1848, afternoon

Ferdinando had enjoyed very much today's light lunch: Maria Cristina, Henri and Camillo were probably the three persons in the world he could be more relaxed with, and which provided the strongest intellectual stimulation too. Of course he loved his wife and his children, and loved and respected his father, but this trio was completely on a different plane. On a whimsy, he had even referred to the four of them as the Society of the Four Elementals: Maria Cristina was Fire, no doubt about that; it was equally clear that Henry was Earth, strong, reliable and practical; Camillo was Air, mercurial, curious and inquisitive, always refreshing. Which left Water for himself, and it was a good fit, he thought: everyone knew that water was quiet and persistent, and in the end even the hardest rock - or the hardest problem - would be defeated.

Unsurprisingly, the count of Cavour had been able to charm and to impress both Maria Cristina and Henry: the elemental of Air could be harsh and biting as the north wind in winter, but also gentle and stimulating as the breezes of spring. Maria Cristina would certainly benefit even from a short tutoring.

Ferdinando sighed, and concentrated on the many issues which needed to be immediately addressed .
"Camillo, let me thank you for accepting to advise my sister in political matters. She will have to find her own advisers in due time, and from her own kingdom, but she also needs a reliable and trusty advisor right now.

"I was under the impression that I could not refuse the orders of the Lieutenant" Camillo was irrepressible as usual "However, your choice to suggest me as an advisor for the Duchess of Genova, and soon to be Queen of Sicily honors and pleases me: your sister is a very intelligent and self-willed woman, and she will learn very quickly how to navigate the political waters. Most of all, she must learn to keep her own counsel, and let the minor players make most of the noise. Incidentally, I understand that the Sicilian Parliament resurrected the Constitution of 1813, which gives more power to Parliament and less to the monarch compared to the Statute recently granted by your father. Which is a good thing, as I see it: granting any kind of Constitution is what really matters, and once this fateful step is taken the balance of power will move steadily away from the monarch and into the hands of Parliament, like water flowing downhill. I predict that this is going to happen in the kingdom of Sardinia too, and when the unavoidable crisis will occur it will be a good thing that you will be on the throne, since you are not prone to delusions and have very good political instincts. Your achievements in Venice are the best proof of what I am saying."

"Do you believe me so prone to give away my God-given Divine Right of King?", Ferdinand said, half jokingly, but to Camillo it sounded like a biting imitation of the late King Carlo Felice. "Besides, I do not understand why you make such a fuss about my actions in Venice. The city freed herself without any need of our help, and they managed to gain a fleet in the bargain. The other cities of Veneto and Friuli freed themselves too. I went to Venice to better understand what was happening, and once I did there was no other reasonable strategy for me to follow."

"Do you mean to tell me that you played no role in the resurrection of the Most Serene Republic? That your victory at Goito did not have an impact? Or that you did not propose an alliance, and not just in Veneto and Friuli, but even in Dalmatia where you sent your best general? Any other victorious general, not to mention one who is also heir to a kingdom, would have put forward demands, would have made your help conditional to political subservience, but you didn't. And that is because you have very good political instincts. I am certainly not a republican, but I do agree with you: the restoration of the Republic of Saint Mark is the best political outcome for the kingdom of Sardinia, better to have a grateful ally than an unruly subject. By not asking for anything, you've ensured that they will give you more than you might have reasonably asked. Leaving aside any other consideration, governing all of Northern Italy from Turin would have meant a terrible headache for us: the people of Lombardy and Veneto are very different from the people of Piedmont (2). Forgive my bluntness, but do you believe that your father would have chosen to act as you did?"

"I do not have an answer to your question, and can only repeat what I said before: the people of Veneto regained their freedom on their own, and I would not try to take it away from them. My aim is to expel the Austrians from Italy, and avoid in the future that they may act as they did in the past 30 years. I have reasonable expectations that the people of Lombardy will not be against joining Sardinia, but these expectations must be confirmed by a plebiscite, and it is even possible that the best solution for Lombardy would be to give them their own parliament and government, in personal union with the crown of Sardinia. After all, there are more Lombards than Piedmontese, aren't there? I met a most intriguing person in Venice, signor Carlo Cattaneo, and after speaking with him I am starting to think that we must thread lightly in Lombardy. Beyond this, and remembering that the war is not yet over, I believe that the Italian States must be brought together in some form of Confederation: only in this way we can truly make us confident that we will be able to keep free of foreign interventions and promote commerce and industry in Italy."

"Yesterday night you asked me if I had a solution for your conundrum (1): how to win the peace after winning the war. It looks like you already had the answer to your question, once again proving that your political instincts are very well developed. What you are asking from me is a detailed roadmap to achieve your goals."

"Yes, how to cut in some way the Gordian knot of treacherous Italian politics, and even more how to do it quickly, while the wind is in our sails. I am afraid that it will take a long time to achieve my goals.

"Time is what you do not have, my Prince. We are lucky that the Austrians have not yet asked for an armistice, maybe we should thank God for endowing the Habsburgs with such arrogance that they do not realize the situation they are in. Once an armistice is signed, the diplomacy of the Powers will come in play, and they will try to impose on us their own wishes. We must quickly put in place a solution which is both reasonable and of our own making, You certainly remember what the British ambassador said earlier today. If I may ask, what was in the letter he handed over to you?"

"It was personally written by Prince Albert. Congratulations on our victory at Goito, well wishes but also a hint that the British government was concerned with unrest in Europe, and a veiled suggestion that we should not be too greedy. He agrees with you: whatever we do, we must be quick."

"Prince Albert has always been a reasonable man with a great clarity of vision, as well as a good friend. Very well, there is only a single strategy we can put in place quickly. Delegations from Sicily and Tuscany are due to arrive here today. I am informed that also the Republic of St. Mark has sent a delegation, and the same has been arranged by the Provisional Governments of Lombardy and of the Cispadanian Duchies. There is no one from Naples, officially at least. Professor Scialoia arrived yesterday, and gave me the latest news: King Ferdinand doesn't intend to support our war against the Austrians, even if he has not officially declared so. He would like to send an army to Palermo, the offer of the crown of Sicily to your sister enraged him, but he's also afraid of his own subjects: for now at least he'll do what he does best, nothing. We have some friends in Naples anyway, or at least Scialoia says so. There is no one here from the Papal States, but no need for them, I might say. Propose an Italian Confederation, something similar to the German Zollverein: commerce and common defense, and each and any state taking care of its internal business but under a constitution. Offer the presidency of this Confederation to His Holiness. I doubt anyone will oppose this proposal, it should go forward by acclamation. We can also make use of Gioberti: let's send him to Rome with this proposal, it is what he has been advocating for years."

"Yesterday night you said Gioberti was a fool: did you change your mind?"

"Certainly not, he's a misguided fool, but even fools can be used under the right circumstances"

Ferdinand smiled. It was surprising how the two of them were similar: he had said those very same words regarding his good cousin Ferdinando Carlo.
"So be it, then. Italians, I shall seal your fates in the hands of a fool", he mused.​

Footnotes
  1. Reference to Interlude #4
  2. Cavour said words much like these in 1859, during a visit to Milan and Bologna
Made in @LordKalvan & Tarabas

Narrative Interlude #20: Found in translation
Isola della Scala, Villa Pindemonte, Study of Prince Ferdinando - 4 April 1848, afternoon (continued)

The Count of Cavour bowed, and departed. Without any doubt with the intention of swimming in the murky waters of politics, thought Ferdinando with a smile, wishing him a good hunt.
A Royal Equerry replaced him: "Your Highness, General Menabrea is here, as you asked. We are also informed that various delegations are arriving to Isola della Scala. They should be here within two or three hours."
" Do you know which delegations are arriving?"
"A delegation from Tuscany and a second one from Sicily, Your Highness. A third one from Milan, and the last one from the Republic of St. Mark."
Quite a lot of people, mused Ferdinand. "Please look after suitable accommodations for them. I do hope we will not be too crowded."
" Count Cavour asked the majordomo to look for suitable additional lodgings a few days ago, and Villa Boschi was found to be the most suitable. It features also a very large ballroom, as requested by the Count. Everything is ready since yesterday, and we have also hired suitable servants, cooks and footmen.​
"That was well done. Now ask General Menabrea to enter." Camillo-the-Spider has spun his web, mused Ferdinand, and now the flies are clamoring to enter it. Very impressive.

"My dear General Menabrea, have a seat. What was your impression of the General Staff meeting this morning?".
"It appeared to be very professional, Your Highness. Maps of every place of interest for the campaigns were available, precise numbers of our forces and estimates of enemy strength were produced on demand, and you managed to run it like a clockwork mechanism. I know by experience that it's not always easy to manage so many officers, in particular when dealing with various and distant theatres of operations."
"It's still a work in progress, my dear Menabrea. You would have not been impressed if you had been present when I first tried to build up a General Staff for the Sardinian army."​
"The concept of General Staff was firstly adopted by the Prussian army during the last years of the Napoleonic wars, wasn't it?"
"That is correct, but my impression is that it was not furtherly developed over the next decades: it remained limited to a small group of officers, who were supposed to provide advice to the king on campaign. More than three decades of peace failed to produce the incentive to develop it further, but I can believe it might, and should, evolve into a powerful tool for future wars. However a Prussian general, Carl von Clausewitz, wrote extensively on the subject, although his writings were published only after his death, and I believe they have not yet been translated. I was presented the first three books by Prince Albert for my birthday in 1840. I have read them more than a few times, and they are fascinating, dealing with the political-military interfaces of making war: they are aptly titled "Vom Kriege", "On War", and while being written from the point of view of a theoretician, they would benefit also any general in the field. I have had them translated in Italian (1), and I strongly recommend that they become mandatory reading at the Military Academy. I have also procured the other 7 books written by him, and they are being translated too."
"I will be seriously considering your recommendation, Your Highness. Has my appointment as Quartermaster General anything to do with these books?"
"You are right, it has, but I am truly concerned by the hard task of keeping our armies supplied in the field. An army marches on its stomach. Didn't Napoleon say that , or was Frederick the Great to say it first? Never mind, the concept is more than sound, but unfortunately many generals do not concern themselves with these practical matters: they are convinced it's enough to snap their fingers to get all the provisions they need, or at worst they send out foraging parties and the civilians pay the price of war. This is unacceptable, and has to end. In the future, I can see the expansion of railways to be the solution, but in this war we need to make the best use of water transportation, given that we command the major rivers in Northern Italy and our allies in Venice are once again masters of the Adriatic.
However I am afraid that I will have to ask you of another couple of things on top of that. You know what they say, the reward for a job well done is always more work."​
"I'm your to command, Your Highness". The answer was firm, but Ferdinando could almost feel a hint of worry.
"The first task I have in mind is training. Our army, and in particular the Bersaglieri Corps, has greatly benefitted by intensive training over the last three years. This has also to continue, but the same care has to be taken to train the Volunterr Levies that are being raised in Lombardy and elsewhere. I have also promised our allies in Venice to provide a military mission to help training their ground forces: while Venice doesn't require help in terms of their navy personnel, their experience in land combat is frankly very limited, and the few experienced military men they have are officers who fought in the Napoleonic wars, and are not just old but also find it very difficult to grasp the changes brought by technological progress."​
"It shall be done, Your Highness. And the other thing?"
"You have certainly heard that the Sicilian parliament has voted to offer the crown of Sicily to my sister. She will accept, but she also need a reliable man to advise her on military matters, while the Count of Cavour will advise her on political issues. Do you accept this last task, General Menabrea?​
"I do, Your Highness. How could I refuse such a honor?"
"Wonderful. Maria Cristina will travel to Palermo only after the end of this war, but do you have any suggestion for now?"
"I understand that a task force of the Sardinian navy is making ready in Genoa to sail to the Adriatic. However, since Venice appears to be in full control of the sea, I wonder if it would not be more reasonable to dispatch the task force to Palermo instead, in token of our support to the decision of the Sicilian Parliament. You will need to discuss this possibility with both Venice and the Sicilians, obviously, to avoid any misunderstanding. It might be possible to send a military mission and some artillery pieces to Palermo, to help in the training of the Sicilian army, but again this has to be discussed and agreed with the Sicilians."
"Your suggestions appear to be sound, and this proves that I was not in the wrong by selecting you for this additional role. I understand that signor La Masa, Ministry of War in the Sicilian Government, is in the delegation arriving today at Isola della Scala. He should be the right person with whom you might discuss these ideas."​

Footnotes
  1. The first Italian translation of Vom Kriege was published only in 1942 IOTL
Made in @LordKalvan

Last edited:
Narrative Interlude #21: The Arrival of the Four Wise Men (and a Wise Woman)
The Arrival of the Four Wise Men (and a Wise Woman)
Isola della Scala, Villa Pindemonte, Study of Prince Ferdinando - 4 April 1848, late afternoon

Prince Ferdinand and the Count of Cavour were looking from the windows at the arrival of an impressive cortege: a number of carriages, escorted by at least a regiment of infantry.
"The first Wise Man has already arrived, Your Highness. I settled the Milanese delegation at Villa Borghi. " Cavour quipped "They are bringing you no gold, no frankincense, no myrrh, but iron...the Iron Crown of Lombardy, even if they don't know it yet. Since the Milanese include members of both the Provisional Government and the War Council, they are quite skittish: each faction has its own agenda. I am however quite confident that the approach you have in mind for Lombardy will not displease either the moderate or the democrats. Of course it will not completely please either of them, and for this reason I do believe it is a good compromise approach. The Second and the Third Wise Men are the one you see approaching. Sicilians and Tuscans marching side by side in amicable company: who could anticipate such a thing even just a few months ago?"
"I am not completely comfortable with your characterization of these arrivals, Camillo. Your sarcasm is usually biting, but this time you are worse than ever. I am going to humor you, nonetheless, for the time being. The Sicilians are obviously coming to offer the crown to my sister: no surprise here. Do you know anything about the delegates? And which are the Tuscans' reasons to come in such number?"
"The Sicilians are bringing the crown of their island, as you said, and a token force of volunteers. Given the distance from Palermo, and the need to keep what few military forces they have ready if King Ferdinand were to try to invade, it is as good as they can do. I don't know personally the delegates, but from what professor Scialoia knows of them, it is a high-level delegation, once again including both moderates and democrats. It looks like prince Ruggero Settimo's political strategy is not so different from your own: to privilege unity of intents, and accept necessary compromises."
" A causa vinta (1): first let us win the war, everything else can be amicably settled in due time. Sig. Cattaneo explained his position with these words, and I do agree completely with him. It looks like I am not the only one."
"Exactly so, Your Highness. The Tuscan delegation is led by Marquis Capponi and Baron Ricasoli, both members in good standing of the Grand Duke's Privy Council. I know them both personally, and I believe that Baron Ricasoli was introduced to you last December (2). Marquis Capponi is a good friend of Prime Minister Balbo, with whom he shares also new-Guelph sympathies, and I understand he does not like me very much, but it will not be a problem . Baron Ricasoli is a smart man, very much involved with industrial ventures, besides his extensive land holdings. I found him very congenial when we met in Turin, we speak the same language you might say" Cavour smiled thinly, before going on " The ostensible reason for this mission is to congratulate yourself for the victory at Goito, but I believe they also want to address something more important. There are three regiments of Tuscan infantry accompanying them, and this is the gift that the Third Wise man is bringing to you: it looks like that sending troops to the winning army is the thing to do in European diplomacy. This means that the Grand Duke is firmly convinced that the war is won, or nearly so, and his signal that he is not going to let his family ties with Vienna trump the interests of Tuscany and the dynasty. Therefore I do believe that Tuscany will fit nicely in our political strategy, but don't let yourself become too optimistic: neither Capponi nor Ricasoli are going to sell Tuscan support too cheaply, and it will be necessary to give them some tangible token of the appreciation of the Kingdom of Sardinia for their support and friendship. I have already some ideas about what might please them, and it will not be anything which would be important for us. It's also quite possible it might fit very neatly into a railway project which is going to be very useful, but this is a discussion for another time: "a causa vinta", as you said."
"I understand that the delegation of the Republic of Saint Mark is also due to arrive this evening, Camillo."
"In a couple of hours at most, Your Highness. This is the fourth Wise Man, who is bringing you the gift of a fleet. Most considerate of them. It is a very good thing that in our modern times we can afford even a fourth Wise Man."

"And it's not even Christmas", Ferdinand mused. "I think it would be better to house the Venetians here, at Villa Pindemonte. I need to discuss with them the prosecution of the war, and also the idea that gen. Menabrea floated to me earlier. It would be a good thing to send a naval squadron to Palermo, to show our support for Sicilian independence. Obviously I don't want to disappoint the Venetians in any way, and I need their assent since these ships were going to be sent to the Adriatic: however, as of now the Republic is in full control of the sea, and they don't really need additional ships, so it should not be difficult to gain their assent. By the same token, I don't want to antagonize Sicily. It should be in their interest to have a Sardinian squadron in Palermo, but we have to play it nice. General Menabrea is also going to discuss with them a military mission to train their army, but I want you to keep an oversight. Therefore I am going to play host to the Venetians, and you will be in Villa Borghi to keep the other delegations happy and cooperative. I suppose the formal offer of the Sicilian crown to my sister might be done tomorrow afternoon, if the Sicilians agree. It should really be a grand formal affair, but there are too many demands on our time to afford these niceties. We are still at war, and I want to send Henri d'Orleans to Friuli not later than day after tomorrow."

What neither the Prince nor the Count could know yet was that, alongside the four Wise Men, a Wise Woman was coming, by the name of Cristina Trivulzio di Belgiojoso, at the head of a 200 strong force of volunteers (3).

Footnotes
  1. Carlo Cattaneo spoke these words IOTL when an agreement was made between the Provisional Government (where moderate liberals where in the majority) and the War Council (driven by democrats) to postpone any decision on the future government of Lombardy to the end of the war against Austria.
  2. Baron Ricasoli was in Turin in December 1847, to canvass Sardinian support in the negotiation for the duchy of Parma, following the death of Marie Louise.
  3. Princess Cristina Trivulzio di Belgioioso was a Lombard aristocrat who was a strong supporter of Mazzini and obviously a bitter enemy of Austria. Spent the 1830s as an exile in Paris, but she was in Naples when the news of the insurrection of Milan reached her. She rented a steamship, enlisted a couple hundred volunteers and left for Milan, where she arrived on 6 April. ITTL, she gets also the news of Goito, and she lands in Livorno, not in Genoa, to proceed toward Goito. On the road she meets the Tuscan and Sicilian delegations, and joins them on the last leg of the journey.
Made in @LordKalvan & Tarabas

Last edited:
On one hand, Belgiojoso not fleeing into exile after 1848 would be a good thing.

On the other hand, staying in Italy would probably butterfly away her proto-feminist essays, unless she'll still come across some fucked up shit while in the peninsula, most likely in one of the poorer corners of it.

On one hand, Belgiojoso not fleeing into exile after 1848 would be a good thing.

On the other hand, staying in Italy would probably butterfly away her proto-feminist essays, unless she'll still come across some fucked up shit while in the peninsula, most likely in one of the poorer corners of it.
On the third hand, Cristina Trivulzio doesn't strike me as a woman who stops caring for causes just because one , possibly the most dear to her heart, gets resolved in a satisfactory way. There are plenty of other causes which can draw her attention and benefit from her commitment. IOTL, after the completely unsatisfactory conclusion of the war in Northern Italy, she went to Rome, where she was most active and helpful in organizing hospitals for the wounded during the siege of Rome. ITTL she can be attracted to some social cause, most likely the condition of women, or maybe organization of workers. Italy in 1848 is certainly no land of milk and honey. It's a given that she'll meet Maria Cristina while they're both in Isola della Scala, and i wouldn't be surprised if they become fast friends: maybe the two Cristinas will take Sicily by storm, who knows?

On the third hand, Cristina Trivulzio doesn't strike me as a woman who stops caring for causes just because one , possibly the most dear to her heart, gets resolved in a satisfactory way. There are plenty of other causes which can draw her attention and benefit from her commitment. IOTL, after the completely unsatisfactory conclusion of the war in Northern Italy, she went to Rome, where she was most active and helpful in organizing hospitals for the wounded during the siege of Rome. ITTL she can be attracted to some social cause, most likely the condition of women, or maybe organization of workers. Italy in 1848 is certainly no land of milk and honey. It's a given that she'll meet Maria Cristina while they're both in Isola della Scala, and i wouldn't be surprised if they become fast friends: maybe the two Cristinas will take Sicily by storm, who knows?
I have a soft spot for Cristina di Belgioioso: she was a remarkable woman in each and every aspect. Her fate ITTL will be vastly different than OTL, but I believe it is safe to say that it will be just as adventurous and tumultuous as it was IOTL. MC is very likely to be attracted by Belojoso's intelligence and strong character, and the latter is likely to see the former as a younger self (with the remarkable difference of, you know, a potential crown). As for her proto-feminists essays, it is too soon to say, but IOTL she did manage to fight for a lot of different causes, from the Italian independence to the bettering of the renting conditions of land in Lombardy to th condition of women, so...

Narrative Interlude #22: The Princess and the Count
Isola della Scala, Villa Borghi- 4 April 1848, late afternoon

Camillo di Cavour had greeted the Tuscan and Sicilian delegates, and given instruction to the footmen to take them to their rooms.
There was a last carriage, though. When the door opened, and a veiled lady stepped down, the Count was genuinely surprised, but managed not to break his stride and to bow over her gloved hand smoothly.
"Princess Belgioioso, you made my day perfect. Welcome to Villa Borghi."
"My dear Count of Cavour, you were always a charmer. Aren't you happy to see me? Could you believe I would stay away from the place where all these wonders are being worked out?"
" I was slightly surprised to see you today, Princess, but I am very happy to see you here. First of all, because only the most cold blooded and jaded man could not be happy to see you, my lady. And second, but not a very a distant second, mind, because I was thinking of you just today."
"Now you have managed to intrigue me, Camillo. Let's do away with your flatteries, and address the true meaning of your words. Why were you thinking of me today? I don't think we met since that soiree in Paris, and it was almost ten years ago."
"It is because we are fighting a war here, Princess, an more importantly because winning a war does not bring any benefit if you cannot also win the peace. There are battles which can be won by the sword, and battles which can be won by the pen, but there are also battles where the sword or the pen avail nothing, and can only be won by the beauty, the fire and the wit of a beautiful Lombard princess."
"Flatterer. And which battle would this be? I have brought with me 200 stout-hearted volunteers from Naples, but I am thinking you do not look for soldiers, do you?"
"Indeed I do not, Princess. I need you, and the battle is for the hearts and minds of your own countrymen. But I will explain better later on. For the time being, let me settle you at the villa. I am sure you need some rest, and a dinner is planned tonight, in about three hours."
The Count of Cavour signaled to a footman: "Take Princess Belgioioso to the Blue Room, on the first floor, and make sure she has anything she need.

There was an eager look in the eyes of the count, while he thought: "Everything is falling into place. Now I am sure that I can win this game, and give my prince what he needs."
Made in @LordKalvan

Status
Not open for further replies.