That was more or less what I was going for, an Italian Federation with the Pope at its head.

I've just been reading Rome in America by D'Agistino and he goes on about this all at some length. When I get home from class, I could message you the names of some of the Neo-Guelfs if you'd like to to work them into the stoey.

I've just been reading Rome in America by D'Agistino and he goes on about this all at some length. When I get home from class, I could message you the names of some of the Neo-Guelfs if you'd like to to work them into the stoey.
That would be great, thank you. I'm not sure how much I will integrate into the timeline since mid-19th Century Italian Politics aren't really the main focus of this timeline, but I would appreciate it nonetheless.

Who Control Venice, since San Marco Republic had fallen although it did succeed, it would have cause more tension in Italian politics
At the end of the last update (circa August 1848) Austria controls Venice.

Venice declared independence from the Austrian Empire a few days after Milan did in early April 1848 and immediately established the Republic of San Marco. However, their rejection of King Charles Albert's offer of unification with Sardinia-Piedmont, combined with their apparent inability to aid Treviso, Padua, and Chioggia did much to tarnish their reputation in the eyes of the other Italian states. While I don't want to spoil what I have in store for the future, I will say that the war isn't finished with Venice just yet and that will be quite the divisive issue for the Italians in the near future, especially once a certain freedom fighter makes his appearance.

I infer that butterflies flapping their wings spared young Friedrich Ferdinand from his untimely death in 1847, am I right? Perhaps this divergence should have deserved a place in the last update's notes, just saying.

I infer that butterflies flapping their wings spared young Friedrich Ferdinand from his untimely death in 1847, am I right? Perhaps this divergence should have deserved a place in the last update's notes, just saying.
I knew I had forgotten something.:oops: I've edited the end notes accordingly to reflect Archduke Friedrich's survival and his impact on the Siege of Venice.

Last edited:
Can't wait to read more! I personally would like Greece to fullfil the Megali idea, preferably with these borders (https://www.deviantart.com/lehnaru/art/King-of-the-Greeks-and-Emperor-of-the-Romans-618891493) with Constantinople as it's future capital. Looking forward to the next update, keep up the good work!
Then retake the Balkans for those sweet coal deposits and raw materials. Could Greece in ttl take Anatolia to become a regional power in the Eastern Mediterranean. But how would the Romaoi handle the Turks in Constantinople who probably hate them? How would the New Basilea ton Rhomaion manage its Anatolian holdings as well with the Turks? Could peaceful assimilation happen here instead of what happened during the Greco-Tukish war of the 30's?

Can't wait to read more! I personally would like Greece to fullfil the Megali idea, preferably with these borders (https://www.deviantart.com/lehnaru/art/King-of-the-Greeks-and-Emperor-of-the-Romans-618891493) with Constantinople as it's future capital. Looking forward to the next update, keep up the good work!
Thank you, I'm glad you like it! The Megali Idea is already a thing in this timeline so you can certainly expect a lot of conflict between Greece and the Ottomans sometime in the future. Whether they are successful or not is for me to know and you all to find out.:biggrin:

Then retake the Balkans for those sweet coal deposits and raw materials. Could Greece in ttl take Anatolia to become a regional power in the Eastern Mediterranean. But how would the Romaoi handle the Turks in Constantinople who probably hate them? How would the New Basilea ton Rhomaion manage its Anatolian holdings as well with the Turks? Could peaceful assimilation happen here instead of what happened during the Greco-Tukish war of the 30's?
I honestly don't think Greece can realistically retake all of Anatolia by this point in time just based on demographics alone, but I do think parts of Anatolia are certainly doable if Greece plays their cards right going forward. The Balkans will be interesting; I've been hinting at the Greek border in the Balkans being a bit further north than in OTL, but the Greeks won't be reconquering the entire Balkan peninsula. That said, I do have something in mind that might work just as well in the Balkans.

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! The Megali Idea is already a thing in this timeline so you can certainly expect a lot of conflict between Greece and the Ottomans sometime in the future. Whether they are successful or not is for me to know and you all to find out.:biggrin:

I honestly don't think Greece can realistically retake all of Anatolia by this point in time just based on demographics alone, but I do think parts of Anatolia are certainly doable if Greece plays their cards right going forward. The Balkans will be interesting; I've been hinting at the Greek border in the Balkans being a bit further north than in OTL, but the Greeks won't be reconquering the entire Balkan peninsula. That said, I do have something in mind that might work just as well in the Balkans.
What about after they've re-established themselves as a normal nation state and started industrializing? With more industrialization and modernization shouldn't their population boom. Can the new Basileus even grant tax credits and rebates to large families who have many children? Could they pull off a Prussia where despite their small size and poor conditions, they become highly militarized. Could Greece with its various Rhomaion nobles have the Emperor pulls a Frederick I and orients them toward serving the state through military service while re-instating the old bureaucracy that allowed the empire to coordinate its resources in a 1000 year struggle against its enemies? Greece like Prussia was surrounded by enemies on all sides and is in a poor geographic position and when it was invaded by foreign powers both allied and hostile it was ravaged. I think that if they Prussianize to never fall victim to invasion again, I think they have a shot at restoring the empire. But how would they throw off the negative perception of the West that views them as Hellenes? There was 300 years of propaganda calling them Byzantines and after the schism the West forgot about its scientific and cultural and military achievements under the Isaurians, the Macedonians, and Komnenoi. So how will the rest of the world and especially Italy react to a successful Greece restoring the Roman Empire. Most people thought it fell in 476 when it in fact fell in 1453. Its 1461 if you count Trebizond.

@Earl Marshal so you are hinting for northern border at monastir?
Maybe.:cool:

What about after they've re-established themselves as a normal nation state and started industrializing? With more industrialization and modernization shouldn't their population boom. Can the new Basileus even grant tax credits and rebates to large families who have many children? Could they pull off a Prussia where despite their small size and poor conditions, they become highly militarized. Could Greece with its various Rhomaion nobles have the Emperor pulls a Frederick I and orients them toward serving the state through military service while re-instating the old bureaucracy that allowed the empire to coordinate its resources in a 1000 year struggle against its enemies? Greece like Prussia was surrounded by enemies on all sides and is in a poor geographic position and when it was invaded by foreign powers both allied and hostile it was ravaged. I think that if they Prussianize to never fall victim to invasion again, I think they have a shot at restoring the empire. But how would they throw off the negative perception of the West that views them as Hellenes? There was 300 years of propaganda calling them Byzantines and after the schism the West forgot about its scientific and cultural and military achievements under the Isaurians, the Macedonians, and Komnenoi. So how will the rest of the world and especially Italy react to a successful Greece restoring the Roman Empire. Most people thought it fell in 476 when it in fact fell in 1453. Its 1461 if you count Trebizond.
Well the Kingdom of Greece's population is already ahead of their OTL counterpart. In the 1848 Census in OTL Greece had a population of 986,731 whereas in this timeline it was around 1.31 million. Now most of this difference is a result of the additional territories Greece has ITTL compared to OTL, like Crete, Chios, Samos, etc, but there is still a difference of several tens of thousands of people. This difference is largely a result of a better economic situation in Greece ITTL and less instability compared to OTL which has encourage more people to have more children, but for now it still remains quite small. But as Greece continues to industrialize and develop, it should increase.

The problem remains however, that the Turks will be doing the exact same thing, only their population is already much larger than the Greek population at roughly 12 million Turks to 5 million Greeks (~1.3 million in Greece, 3.5 million in the Ottoman Empire, and 0.2 million in the Ionian Islands).

Greece will have its moment in the Sun, and it will have a chance at building/rebuilding it's empire, I can assure you of that, but it will be some time before that can happen.
Constantine the First and the Twelfth