Prevent an interesting war

MrP

Banned
So, we could, for example, have a treaty between the U.S. and Japan that, in the 1930's guarantees the prevention of the war in the Pacific?

Yeah, that was an interesting war and pretty much separate from the European one, so, aye, certainly.

Yeah, that was an interesting war and pretty much separate from the European one, so, aye, certainly.

Might a more likely way of doing that being by preventing a treaty? If the Washington Naval Conference had failed and as a result the Anglo-Japanese alliance had been continued then one of the prime links between Japan and the west would not have been broken. This might have prevented and would have least hindered the rise of the militarists in Japan. [As a 2nd factor even if it didn't prevent the Pacific war it would give the allies a stronger position in the conflict that resulted].

Steve

Virginia 1832: John Floyd includes a plan for gradual emancipation of slaves in his annual address to the General Assembly of Virginia as part of his "Virginia Plan" for economic growth. He is barely successful due to the ravages of a large Nat Turner slave rebellion (the POD).

I've just avoided or significantly changed: Texas' Revolutinary War, The Mexican-American War, and the Civil War.

Likely progression of events, IMO:

Texas annexed, along with a border from the Rio Grande to the 30th parallel; Baja CA to the US.

Oregon border secured to the 49th parallel.

By 1858-1860, National Floyd Plan enacted. Slave owners compensated, appeased by promise of lower tarrifs for period of 20 years.

1861-2: US intervenes to stop French/British intervention in Mexico. War for North America? US takes Canada, with help of Fenian rebels?

The more interesting Peace: the US is HUGE.

I'd think the butterflies from a "No Gulf War TL" would be rather large. The whole shebang seems somewhat contingent. Sure Saddam needed money, but would he have invaded Kuwait if he knew the U.S was going to react as it did?

I'd think the butterflies from a "No Gulf War TL" would be rather large. The whole shebang seems somewhat contingent. Sure Saddam needed money, but would he have invaded Kuwait if he knew the U.S was going to react as it did?
I've LONG Wanted to do a Timeline, on Just this Very Question ...

The POD ...

Hussein Presents The Invasion as a Grenada-Style Police Action, Rather than as an Out-and-Out Annexation!

:eek: