President Forever and other 270soft games Megathread

I broke America again.

OVLbtmY.png

It has to be the top three candidates regardless.. Trump, Clinton, and Ruwart would be top 3
Not if only two candidates got EVs.

It doesn't necessarily have to be three, the 12th Amendment just says it can't be more than three. And when the President of the Senate opens up and reads the electoral vote counts, the popular vote is never mentioned, because that's not how we decide elections.

Here is the election screen from a few runs playtesting with a custom alternate history scenario (I pressed spacebar through the whole game as Baldwin). A lot of the campaign is still in development, so the weird results in the middle of the country have some explanation. I started the game back in the primaries, so that may have had some effect in the central states, I guess? And of course all the issues and regional preferences aren't perfect yet. In any case, the results aren't exactly what I expected, but I am pleased that it works.

cbNovZa.png

Lzzi5WR.png

(reminder that portraits are placeholders and no longer represent the candidates portrayed)

Last edited:
What happened? How did you get a new state?
The game comes with a campaign editor that can handle a lot of the hard work (I downloaded the update to the game specifically to be able to do that - editing the text files isn't difficult, but it is tedious). I just drew a new map for my timeline and plugged it into the game files (the editor can't do that part). Conveniently, my map has 50 states, so I didn't have to add any new states, just move them around. Colorado, for example, was originally Alaska. Sonora was one of the Dakotas, Jacinto was West Virginia. Actually, as you can see, the extra seats in Nebraska and Maine haven't been finished yet so there are a few awkward blobs on the map. But creating new states from scratch is probably going to be a little harder than editing existing ones.

The hardest part is actually working out the politics of the whole scenario. Each state has to be calibrated to at least seem realistic. And obviously something is off with some of my states and/or politicians, because a lot of what went Republican shouldn't be. This election is actually supposed to be Medina's re-election to a second term. I haven't done a serious playthrough with her, so it may not be impossible, but the results so far are not what I was hoping for. I think the biggest hurdle with making Democrats more competitive is the fact that House of Representatives (and therefore the Electoral College) has about 100 more seats, and obviously those extra seats are concentrated in the states that are already more liberal.

Last edited:
Untitled.png

Everyone in this timeline is gonna die, and it is squarely because I played Wallace and gave him literally just enough edge to deadlock the College. North Carolina is within 5k votes, and South Carolina is within 10k. Could have had Florida too, but I was focused on locking down the Carolinas when I realized I actually had a shot at breaking the EC.

View attachment 356902
Everyone in this timeline is gonna die, and it is squarely because I played Wallace and gave him literally just enough edge to deadlock the College. North Carolina is within 5k votes, and South Carolina is within 10k. Could have had Florida too, but I was focused on locking down the Carolinas when I realized I actually had a shot at breaking the EC.
In this scenario I wonder what would happen.
1. Would Johnson or Romney be the first to cave and give up on civil rights?
2. Would both of them hold out until the Dixiecrats cave and reluctantly support Johnson?
3. Would the House deadlock and Johnson's VP become Acting President for a while?
4. Would Johnson and Romney form a "grand coalition" of sorts to shut out the Dixiecrats?