President Bush Jr. Assassinated in December 2004, what happens?

I almost forgot. Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned in 1973, so Ford was confirmed as Vice President. Nixon resigned in 1974, so Ford became President. Ford became President without having received a single vote, so the Writ of Habeas Corpus on which your whole case is based upon would be denied based on the precedent having been established in 1974. Ford served until 1977, left office, and the country continued to function perfectly.

I almost forgot. Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned in 1973, so Ford was confirmed as Vice President. Nixon resigned in 1974, so Ford became President. Ford became President without having received a single vote, so the Writ of Habeas Corpus on which your whole case is based upon would be denied based on the precedent having been established in 1974. Ford served until 1977, left office, and the country continued to function perfectly.

But Nixon didn't nominate Ford to be the President.

The difference is in the intent. It's always possible for a VP to become President.

I realize that Ford became President without receiving a single vote. So did Lyndon Johnson, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, and Harry Truman. It's not without precedent that Presidents have served without being elected to the office. It IS without precedent to name a VP with the sole intention of elevating him to the presidency.

"Oh, the Constitution by definition has no spirit. Spirits can only be possessed by living, or at least self aware beings"

...please tell me that you understand the difference between the "letter" and the "spirit" of the law?

Can we please get back to the WI?

So, Cheney turns down being President due to Health problems, although he has picked a VP, who is his VP? (really President)

There is no one spirit of law. There is only one letter of law. The spirit of the law is different to every person, and as the perceptions of everyone are impossible to fathom, they must be ignored.

HueyLong

Banned
But Nixon didn't nominate Ford to be the President.

The difference is in the intent. It's always possible for a VP to become President.

I realize that Ford became President without receiving a single vote. So did Lyndon Johnson, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Theodore Roosevelt, and Harry Truman. It's not without precedent that Presidents have served without being elected to the office. It IS without precedent to name a VP with the sole intention of elevating him to the presidency.

"Oh, the Constitution by definition has no spirit. Spirits can only be possessed by living, or at least self aware beings"

...please tell me that you understand the difference between the "letter" and the "spirit" of the law?

Erm.... wrong. Other than in the case of Gerald Ford, all of those men were voted into their office and then raised to a higher office.

Thank you Long. That was my point. Now, continued on the idea of Jeb being President, I know almost nothing about the man.

Erm.... wrong. Other than in the case of Gerald Ford, all of those men were voted into their office and then raised to a higher office.

Right. Their office being that of the Vice President of the United States. Not President.

The first time all of those men took the Oath of the President of the United States, not a single one of them had been elected President.

HueyLong

Banned
Right. Their office being that of the Vice President of the United States. Not President.

The first time all of those men took the Oath of the President of the United States, not a single one of them had been elected President.

But they became Vice President by election. There is and was a difference between those men and Gerald Ford.

And as I remember it, some were thinking of pushing the issue when it came to Ford- based on the argument presented by others here. In the landscape of today, it might happen or it might become another Democratic "whipping boy".

Ibn Warraq

Banned
The anti-war movement becomes incredibly unpopular and are seen as a hotbed of extremists. Moveon.org, Dailykos and a number of other groups see their membership and donations evaporate.

George Bush also becomes incredibly popular.

I'd say Jeb Bush.

Why Jeb Bush? What does the man honestly have going for him in regards to national office, besides being governor of a state and a part of the Bush family? I can think of a dozen and a half other candidates that would be far more suitable as a VP pick than J. Bush.

Why Jeb Bush? What does the man honestly have going for him in regards to national office, besides being governor of a state and a part of the Bush family? I can think of a dozen and a half other candidates that would be far more suitable as a VP pick than J. Bush.

Who are those people?

My list:

1. John McCain
2. Mike Huckabee
3. Mitt Romney
4. Newt Gingrich
5. John Clist
5. Elizabeth Dole
6. Lamar Alexander
7. John Edwards

Whoever is Cheney's VP will really be the 44th President regardless.

I honestly just picked Jeb out of thin air, but now I change my pick to Mitt Romney because I think it would create the most butterflys.

The above arguments are garbage Cheney is NOT going to hand pick an immediate successor for the office of the Presidency. Regardless of health issues , The man was picked as VP for his internal power base within the party not because the President liked his tie. The Republican Party is not evil incarnate and would never subvert the constitution in such a manner.

Now as for the War on Terror needing a boost, I fight that war daily and it's going just fine despite the blatant prejudiced reporting on most sources.
Nothing that happens is going to make the President anymore popular as these same News sources will still blame him for the War. Cheney might open the closed areas for drilling but that's still a 10 year production cycle.

The sad fact is that the US has been turned into an us vs. them state with massive divisiveness thanks to our press corps and little would change in a Cheney presidency.

1. It's not subverting the constitution. If it was, it would be unconstitutional, and struck down. That is why I carefully read the rules of Presidential succession before I made the suggestion.
2. I never made any claim that Cheney or the Republican party was evil, good, or anywhere between the two.
3. I think if a man has survived four heart attacks and is suddenly thrust into the position of leader, as opposed to adviser, then chooses to resign because he feels himself unable to carry out the duties of that office, it is not bad, but rather a good thing, as he is placing the interests of the nation ahead of his own.
4. Having now decided on Mitt Romney, let us continue the discussion.

I don´t know if he would pick McCain. There might be some complaints on the Right Wing of the Republican Party. Maybe, I don´t think there were that many hard feelings left5 over from 2000. Huckabee was not widely knwon until the Iowa caucuses of this year, except for his weight reduction. Definetly not Gingrich, too bagge.
P.S: I don´t of nay ex presdient that took a lobbying job. They don´t need a job they have a pension and can clean up on speking fees.

I have been reading these posts and why does everyone assume that Cheeny would be able to get a strong Vice President confirmed by Congress. If you look at History the only reason why Nixon got Ford confirmed and Ford got Rockefeller confirmed was because neither one of them were considered major threats in the next Presidential election.

I do know that the Congress is Republican not Democratic but that does not change things. The Democrats would object to anyone who could win a Presidential election and the Republicans in Congress who want to run for President would have objections because they know that whoever Cheeny picked would be the favorite for the Republican nomination. WHich would weaken there own chances.

I would guess that Cheeny would pick Collin Powell as his VP. He would state that he has no plans to run for President and would be a caretaker until the next election. Which would make everyone happy.