President Bush Jr. Assassinated in December 2004, what happens?

Lets say on December 18, 2004, President George W. Bush Jr. is assassinated by an anti-war protester when no one was looking. It's obvious Cheney becomes President. What happens to America with a Cheney administration, from December 2004 onward? What is America's reaction? What does the 2008 election look like? Please, elaborate.

Gracie

Banned
Lets say on December 18, 2004, President George W. Bush Jr. is assassinated by an anti-war protester when no one was looking. It's obvious Cheney becomes President. What happens to America with a Cheney administration, from December 2004 onward? What is America's reaction? What does the 2008 election look like? Please, elaborate.

One definite topic for discussion...

Why did Cheney dodge the draft 5 times.

Well when you assassinate a president, you make them a sort've public martyr. So assassinating Bush would only help his causes, and gain full public support behind his party.

So more than likely, the Republicans would also go on to win the 2008 election. The War on Terror would probably get renewed support throughout most of the country, and probably throughout some parts of the world, as a result.

Bush himself would be remembered very fondly, specially for his leadership during 9/11, and whatnot.

I don't know what Cheney would be like as president, as I'm not one of those people who apparently see him as this evil crazy nutjob. But I do know he'd probably not have to work very hard to get things he would probably want passed through in the senate and the house. So we would've probably started drilling for oil within our own country MUCH earlier than in OTL, specially in places like Anwar.

But I doubt Cheney'd run for re-election in 2008, what with his health issues and all. So I have no clue who would be the candidates for 2008, on either side.

It would definitely change peoples perspective on George Bush, and evidently renew the war on terror.

His role would be viewed very differently in history. Mass suicides and public mourning perhaps?

Who would be the VP? With Cheneys' multiple heart attacks, he would probably face pressure to nominate some young star like Frist, or a known commodity like Jeb Bush and then resign.

i dont recall when, but someone did throw a grenade nearbyto where bush was speaking in pakistan, i think, tho i doubt it was an anti-war protester..

Who would be the VP? With Cheneys' multiple heart attacks, he would probably face pressure to nominate some young star like Frist, or a known commodity like Jeb Bush and then resign.

I can't imagine that Cheney would be forced to nominate a VP and then resign for that person to take the Presidency. At the most, he would be "encouraged" to not seek re-election in '08.

The scenario you put forth basically flouts the democratic process by allowing the Republican party to name the President. It would not have been tolerated by the people, let alone the Democratic Party and--I'm sure at some point--the Supreme Court.

maverick

Banned
Three things...

1. He's not George Walker Bush Jr...He's George Walker Bush and his father is George Herbert Walker Bush, not George Bush Sr...

2.The GOP probably keeps Congress in the 2006 elections...

3.Cheney probably still screws up New Orleans after Katrina...

i dont recall when, but someone did throw a grenade nearbyto where bush was speaking in pakistan, i think, tho i doubt it was an anti-war protester..

It occured in Tibilsi, Georgia, in 2005. it bounced off a girl, landing 18.5 metres/61 feet from Bush. The detonator malfunctioned, and the grenade did not explode. I haven't found a source on why the would-be assasin tried to do so, however.

If a sitting President nominates a VP in case of vacancy, and the nominee is approved by Congress, and sworn in, the sitting President can then suddenly say "I quit", without any warning, sign a letter of resignation, and be on his merry little way. The party out of power can complain about being duped all they want, but no illegal action transpired. It would be equivalent to me quiting my job suddenly in the middle of the day because a better offer came my way. A dick move to be sure, but perfectly legal. Any lawsuit would therefore be groundless, and any Judge in the United States of America would dismiss the case.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Ummm... Nothing?

Since George H. W. Bush JR was never elected to the Presidency.

Three things...

1. He's not George Walker Bush Jr...He's George Walker Bush and his father is George Herbert Walker Bush, not George Bush Sr...

2.The GOP probably keeps Congress in the 2006 elections...

3.Cheney probably still screws up New Orleans after Katrina...

About number 1, I thought Bush 43 was a Jr., sorry.

I shouldv'e but Bush 43 in the title.

President Cheney would take office with a wave of popularity and respect for his fallen predecessor. The four years of war, the bad economy, and the memories of Katrinia hurt him and the Republicans are in trouble in 2008m even if Cheney doesn´t run. I tend to think he would. HE is taken more seriously if he is a candidate. Henry Kissenger gave Gerald Ford that advice.
The Democrats still take Congress in 2006. after all, how are things different than in OTL? The Kennedy assassination didn´t help Johnson in 1966 or 1968.

If a sitting President nominates a VP in case of vacancy, and the nominee is approved by Congress, and sworn in, the sitting President can then suddenly say "I quit", without any warning, sign a letter of resignation, and be on his merry little way. The party out of power can complain about being duped all they want, but no illegal action transpired. It would be equivalent to me quiting my job suddenly in the middle of the day because a better offer came my way. A dick move to be sure, but perfectly legal. Any lawsuit would therefore be groundless, and any Judge in the United States of America would dismiss the case.

You can say that that "no illegal action transpired" and you would be correct in the most literal interpretation of the Constitution. But what you are suggesting is in no way equivalent to you or I quitting either of our jobs.

I guarantee you that a writ of habius corpus would be granted in this case and that the argument would be made in front of the Supreme Court that the action violated the spirit of the Constitution. The case would most certainly not be dismissed by any judge in the US.

The simple act of resigning the Presidency is not illegal.

No. Of course it's not.

But to select a vice president for the sole purpose of making him the president is clearly a slap in the face of the democratic process!

Presidents cannot name their successors! The US was founded on this principal. Monarchs and dictators name their own successors.

He would not be naming his successor, he would be naming a caretaker. Whomever he names will only be President for four years minus however long it takes to be confirmed by Congress, at which point he will either be reelected, or voted out of office. Cheney goes on TV, "In light of my health, I am not in a position to serve a four year term, therefore I will resign my office as soon as (Insert name here) is sworn in to the office of the Vice Presidency. Good night, and good luck."

He would be hailed as a hero for putting the interest of the nation ahead of his desire for power. He would not be criticized for at least ten years, and would take some lobbying job like every other Ex President. Oh, the Constitution by definition has no spirit. Spirits can only be possessed by living, or at least self aware beings. Any writ of Habeas Corpus would be shot down on appeal, and whomever brought the case would be seen as a vindictive ass for harassing a retired survivor of four heart attacks.

What would be the goal of the lawsuit? "I hate Cheney, so Cheney must be President for four years"?

Last edited:
Who would succeed Bush is Cheney won't run due to his health?

My guesses: McCain, Huckabee, and Gingrich seem the most appropriate.