"Power Without Knowledge...": President Haig and the Era of Bad Feelings

Just for fun: What's a better name for the Gestaltgeist iteration of the Cosmintern?

• Cosmicist Interstellar (Cosminstel)

• Cosmicist Intersidereal (Cosminside)

• Keep it the same! They're still nations even if they're on another planet!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Labor issues and business practices are resolved at the regional level through the Regional Trade Combine, a joint legislative/executive body that works alongside the regional government, with the elected leader of each RTC simultaneously serving on the steering committee of the regional government. The majority to the RTC is made up of delegates put forward by Solidarity, the continental union to which each employee is required to belong. Operating on the one big union principle, Solidarity advocates for the workers as a whole rather than segregating by industry and is advised on the drafting of labor policy by a corporation (in the syndicalist sense) made up proportionally of the major firms of the region similar to a state chamber of commerce. Conflict between the union and the corporation is limited because of the near-universal push for the cooperative owner-operator business model.
I'm codifying the Combines into my Basic Law* and writing it out it seems like making it a joint union/chamber of commerce-derived body is a bit clunkier than it seemed when I first had the idea. Originally I was going to have each district elect a union rep to the regional Combine and then have that number supplemented by around a quarter to a third drawn from the local businesses, but given the ideological focus on collective owner-operators I'm wondering if I even need to go that far, since membership in the union is mandatory and all the workers own all the private businesses. What do you all think?

*I know it's taking me forever but I'm literally designing a society from scratch so cut me some slack 😅

Last edited:
Writing on the Wall: Cosmicist International Anthem
I've been mulling over the anthem of the Cosmintern and I think I found one I like! I settled on the Song of the United Front with slightly modified lyrics and in universe it narrowly won out over the Battle Cry of Freedom and the Internationale. The only real change is that the word "human" or "people('s)" is used in place of the word "worker(s)" where appropriate, to simultaneously stress the universality of the Cosmintern's ambitions and put its enemies in stark relief (and also as a sop to the radicals who dream of a definition of humanity that includes more scifi fare than just bog standard people).

Song of the United Front (Cosmicist)

And just because he's human,
a man would like a little bite to eat;
he wants no bull nor a lot of talk
that gives no bread or meat.

Chorus:
So left, two, three!
So left, two, three!
To the work that we must do.
March on in the peoples' United Front,
for you are a human too!

he doesn't like a pistol to his head.
He wants no servants under him,
and no boss overhead.

Chorus

his life is all his own.
The liberation of the human race
is the task of the people alone.

Chorus

Last edited:
Writing on the Wall: Election Cycles in the ARC
As I've been going through my Basic Law I've been able to parse and adjust how the different election cycles interlock to create a constant but steady churn in the people's government, but that did open up the question of how Congresses would be demarcated from one another given the fact that this constant churn is naturally reflected in the collective leadership, making identification based on a single person or group basically useless. To make a long story short I went through it and by my math there'd be a national/regional election five out of every six years 🤔. As I've said before there's a huge cultural emphasis on civic participation and the actual election period is a weeklong holiday that basically leads right into the year end seasonal festivities so it's considered a holiday tradition more than anything. I'm also retconning the Festival to be every six years instead of every five in order to fall on the gap year to reward everyone for their hard work.

Year zero in the following example didn't actually reset the calendar but marked the end of the first Constitutional Convention, which in turn transformed itself into the First Continental Congress (styled "I Congress")— There's not much of a lame duck session in this system, with the new Congress expected to be seated by December 21 (45 days after the end of the election holiday) and have leadership elected by the start of the new year. This rough sketch also doesn't take into account the appointed parts of the Congress, but since they're appointed on a regular schedule instead of voted for they don't factor in to the electoral cycle. Because of the way I've structured the judiciary there's also scheduled turnover in the courts that is likewise ignored by the cycle.
  1. The I Congress begins and the first Festival is held to celebrate the birth of the new state.
  2. One third of Kurfursts stand for election at the Commonwealth level (initially chosen by lot, by the end of this cycle they will have formed three classes serving six years each, with one third running for office every two years); the Antarctic Cosmicist Party and the Combine labor union hold elections at the District level (both operate on a proportional council democracy system and will advance members to fill out the higher levels of the two organizations without further input) and members serve three year terms.
  3. The Commonwealths elect their Councils of Citizens (regional legislatures) at the District level which select their own leadership and advance some members to the Congress; the main chamber of the Congress stands for election at the Borough level (made up of Districts and equivalent in population, roughly analogous to House of Representative districts). Both also operate on three year cycles.
  4. The II Congress begins. The second class of the Kurfursts is selected by lot and runs at the Commonwealth level.
  5. The Party and Combine hold elections.
  6. The Councils of Citizens, the main chamber of the Congress and the third class of Kurfursts stand for election at their respective levels.
  7. The III Congress begins and the second Festival is held.
It basically continues on in that vein, with each cycle opened with a Festival and made up of two legally distinct Congresses. There's also a mechanism for generational changes to the Basic Law and every thirty years the elections for everything but the Party/Combine line up and the resulting Congress acts as a constitutional convention the following year (bolstered by special delegations from the Commonwealths). The future history portions of my slow-going novel would be set in years 90-91 of this system, covering the election of the XXXI Congress, the sixteenth Festival and the fourth Constitutional Convention.

I know that was a lot but let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Writing on the Wall: Athame
As I went over in a prior post, the Antarctic Ministry of Culture, in addition to disbursing general artistic grants and operating training workshops, also managed the task of creating, cultivating and curating several shared universes for the purposes of continental mythmaking. By far the largest and most popular was Separate Spheres, depicting a hard science space opera future for the Cosmintern and the human race. Exploring Cosmicist themes and serving as a grand exercise in worldbuilding at a literally galactic scale, it would consistently rank highest on citizen engagement, budgeting and international distribution. Aside from the star of the program, the Culture Ministry would also devote resources to a variety of different projects. Two of these, Demimonde and Athame, would come to be regarded alongside Separate Spheres as the Big Three of Antarctic shared fiction.

While Separate Spheres revolved around an imagined future and Demimonde* centered on a fantastic and mythologized past, Athame would attract attention as the only one of the three set in a recognizable present for viewers, striking a balance between the former's hard science and the latter's fantasy to create a mythology for a revolutionary society. And what better mythology for the modern world than superheroes? Athame aimed to create an internally consistent and grounded superhero universe, one that depicted its characters as accessories to the Zeitgeist rather than Ubermenschen steering the world on a whim, the better to keep from accidentally writing the franchise into corners as conditions on the ground changed** and to better suit the goal of telling stories that took place either in the recognizable present, the immediate past, or the foreseeable future. As such, the core works would take place in chronological order, with an amount of time passing in-universe equal to the gap between new installments of the franchise.

Athame would revolve around those altered by exposure to an anomalous object, the titular Athame. Originally appearing the the form of a small meteorite, the object impacts with an ARC space platform, the Centimanus, transforming the sole survivor and contaminating the Earth's surface with debris from the platform inexplicably imbued with the same transformative effect. From this initial super-empowering event the Athame narrative revolves around three core heroes exposed to the object itself and a secondary cast of allies, heroes and villains empowered by debris all over the world or working to study or contain it. As a concession to franchise viability, the core troika are rendered immortal by their abilities and are recast as necessary while other characters live and die organically around them, providing a good deal of the series' emotional weight.

In the vein of other superhero universes, the Athame shared world is defined most strongly by its central triad, the franchise's answer to the DC Trinity of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman or their Marvel equivalent in Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor.
  • The Outsider was formerly an astronaut named Crozier Dalton,*** sole survivor of the destruction of the Centimanus. Directly exposed to the Athame for an extended period and floating exposed in the void of space for even longer, the shattered astronaut would somehow linger until his abilities fully awakened and he returned to Earth. Aside from an ability to perceive and manipulate electromagnetic signals, the Outsider's greatest strength is incredibly powerful and precise telekinesis, which he can use in the traditional way but also to simulate superhuman strength, flight and durability. His costume is relatively simple, consisting of a sleek Corps of Discovery space suit (sans helmet) and a trench coat he acquired when he landed. It's a great mystery to the fandom whether he can actually remove the suit, since he only eats or drinks out of habit and by his own admission only breathes because it unsettling to others when he doesn't.
  • Erebus is perhaps the most unusual, having never been human to begin with. Originally a Nightspore drone, exposure to the Athame as it plummeted through the atmosphere would spark genuine consciousness in the machine and cause a reaction in its repair systems that would result in the creation of a humanoid body for that consciousness. Both highly intelligent and deeply curious, Erebus has an almost childish innocence that contrasted both with her incredibly firm moral core and nightmarish abilities. Despite possessing a humanoid form, Erebus retains hypertrophied versions of the conventional Nightspore power set, with vantablack skin repurposed into an ability to generate an impenetrable cloud of aerosolized blackness and an ability to finely tune chemical, auditory and visual stimuli to provoke a wide range of biological effects in humans from seizures and heart attacks to finely tailored hallucinations.
  • Athame forms the moral center of the setting, beginning the series as a fish out of water and gradually acclimating to both her new abilities and to Antarctic society as a whole. Originally a climate refugee, she is transformed when the anomalous object that will come to bear her name impacts in her District. Transforming itself from a rough-hewn meteorite to a black stone ring inset with a crystal, the ring responds to its owners commands, transforming from a ring to a knife to a spear and boosting its bearer physically in the process. Permanently strong and durable as a consequence of contact with the ring, when she activates her full abilities it generates a suit of even more resilient armor and in its spear form can generate and manipulate light and allow its bearer to teleport. One of her early character arcs involved returning to Africa temporarily with the outbreak of the Azanian Revolutions, working with locals and ARC forces to stabilize the region that would form the Commonwealths of Azania.
Given the nature of the supporting cast the Athame universe would go through a variety of enemies, with the most notable being a recurring northern assassin-turned-cult leader who went by the name Glycon. Given the ability to transfer his consciousness by exposure to the wreckage of the Centimanus, he would use his abilities to gather followers, with the goal of collecting as much wreckage and as many empowered agents as possible in a bid to aquire the Athame itself and become truly immortal.

*A science fantasy alternate history universe combining my increasingly unusual King in Yellow setting with some ideas about New Weird urban fantasy I was kicking around. It would be bounded in scope from around 1800 to around 2100 and was considerably more structured owing to arising out of a published work in-universe.

**Think all those Marvel characters that continue to exist despite being Soviet supersoldiers from the future or whatever OTL. There's is some precedent for this "consistent flow of time" thing in major comics, most notably Valiant Comics, which stuck to its internal chronology religiously. In this universe they avoided the crossover with Image that destroyed both their brands for a generation and helped to crash the comics market.

***Showcasing the post-revolutionary Antarctic tendency to draw names from Antarctic explorers and other important figures in the continent's history.

Last edited:
An athame is a magic ritual knife used to carve out a ritual space, hence the title and the fact that the object can become a knife or spear and teleport. As for the Outsider, his suit really is sleek, think those ones from the space luge scene from Star Trek: Into Darkness (hence how it can fit under a trench coat). I wanted the outline of a cape without actually using one and trench coats suit the Antarctic diesel punk clothing aesthetic. As the franchise has gone on the troika have become akin to a family unit, with Crozier and Athame attempting to educate Erebus on the human condition even as the years take an increasing mental toll.

Last edited:
Writing on the Wall: Cosmintern Flag
Cosmintern2.png

The ideology flag proper is just straight burgundy/black as seen in the wikibox (since black was chosen for anarchism in the first place as the "color of the starving masses") but I decided I needed something with a bit more jazz for the Cosmintern flag. The fact that the Arctic Council and allies are taking it as a sinister and ominous symbol in their propaganda is a side benefit as far as the Presidium is concerned.

The fact it has three different mottos on it is so scuffed
There's a very fundamental tripartite division in the ideology between obligations to the past/present/future, so each motto encapsulates one of those obligations. The actual motto of the Antarctic Revolutionary Commonwealths is "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity, Eternity!".

The fact it has three different mottos on it is so scuffed
What about "Sequi est cedere!"? "To follow is to yield!" It ties into the ideology's inherent opposition to fuhrerprinzip and the Great Man theory while also implying the members Commonwealths' buy in on the larger project.

Last edited:
Been awhile since I updated, I've been busy with The King in Yellow and my new job 😂 Still tinkering on and off with my Basic Law and I'm still committed to putting up something on the 2016 election and probably a post on the 2018 midterms, since that's the election that really starts to crack the three party system. In the meantime I've been kicking around a Media Matters idea for a modern day HOI4 mod roughly analogous to a perspective flip on the Red World mod! Also I'm definitely going to be going through to tidy things up, since aside from the occasional irritating typo the idea has evolved a lot since I started this thing and I really should make sure everything is synchronized.

Writing on the Wall: The Antarctic Cosmicist Party
CosmicistParty.png

The only political faction enshrined in the ARC Basic Law, the Antarctic Cosmicist Party has an unconventional structure befitting its role, with each local Ward electing a representative to the Party's Regional Committees and those branches in turn forwarding members to the Central Committee in proportion to the population and fractional representation of the Regional Commonwealths. Unlike most political parties these elections are extremely regimented, with the entire elected party apparatus at every level required to stand for election every three years. Adhering to the principles of vanguard pluralism, the ACP is divided into a variety of fractions operating within the broader party structure, each with its own distinct proposals and solutions within the Cosmicist framework. While the elected leader of the largest fraction (or coalition of fractions) becomes the Party's General Secretary, the Central Committee is forbidden from interfering to favor one fraction over another in any election, instead merely deciding on the broad direction of the Party and managing the organization's funds, sophisticated data operation and robust network of operatives and volunteers. Although there are a variety of fractions, the Stewards and the Populists are larger than all the others, forming the closest thing the Revolutionary Commonwealths have to actually distinct political parties (outside of the perennial bloc of political independents). The former uses the Struggle containing a Southern Cross as a separate electoral symbol, while the Populists favor the wrench-and-pen surrounded by a gear.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't update like I said I was going to, work abruptly changed my schedule. Still, I'll try to do some updates over the next couple of days. I also had an idea for the rank insignia of the Antarctic Armed Forces but it's not quite there yet, as I currently conceive of it it would be something like a cross between the Space Force insignia and the True South symbol 🤔

Media Matters: Blood and Iron
Originally released in 2002 by Antinomy Interactive*, Blood and Iron is a grand strategy game series revolving around steering a nation through the Second World War. Though the original game in the series received average reviews, Antinomy has received praise for several of the sequels and has actively cultivated an engaged community of fan-created mods, the most notable of which is The End of History, a uchronic full conversion mod for Blood and Iron IV. Taking place in the modern day, TEH takes as its point of divergence the failure of the the Soviet Restoration and stillbirth of the tide of changes most commonly referred to in the West as "the Calamity".

In a world... where the USS is only a bitter remnant confined to Central Asia, South Africa remains an apartheid state, and Communism is finally in terminal decline around the globe, your task is to take control of a nation at the turn of the new millennium and guide it through the tumultuous early decades of the second American Century. Are you up to the challenge?

At the start of the game there are three major powers, each with the greatest potential to reshape the broader balance of power that shape the end of history:
  • Verging on a hyperpower, the United States of America has grown arrogant swollen with victory even as political extremism and soaring inequality begin to erode the foundations of the city on a hill. The Republicans have grown large enough to practically absorb the core of the Democratic Party in the long overdue fulfillment of the Reagan Revolution, with the hawkish and interventionist National Union squaring off in the court of public opinion against a Reform Party even more fractious than the real one**. An unavoidable early event in the American tree plunges the nation into what is billed as a quick and easy war to topple Castro that quickly devolves into a quagmire threatening to sink the superpower's grand ambitions like the USS Maine.
  • The Paneuropean Community has expanded recklessly since the fall of the Soviet Union, absorbing the entirety of the former Warsaw Pact (plus Turkey) while a revanchist Russia fumes. While Russian rearmament is perhaps the most obvious danger in the long run, the majority of the early tree is spent dealing with a now united Germany that still retains Austria and is loudly complaining about the balance of power within the PEC, creating historical echoes that have everyone in the bloc's leadership sweating bullets even as they try and force through a new common currency.
  • In Asia, the Republic of China is racing to supercharge its economy to catch up to the Americans and the Europeans, the better for them to finally reap the whirlwind of the century of humiliation. The Chinese tree allows for the suborning of Japan and the newly reunified Korea right under Washington's nose, though attempts to enforce a zone of control in the South China Sea can quickly escalate into conflict with Australia and Vietnam and a focus on militarism has the chance to trigger an invasion of Tibet sure to bring in the US and the PEC with anything from harsh sanctions to illicit arms supplied to the Tibetans.
Although many players choose to start as one of the "big three", TEH offers a wide range of choices for unconventional play styles even outside of the smaller countries forced to act around the bellicosity of the superpowers, with the Union of Sovereign States tree culminating in an attempted coup in Russia to bring it back to the fold, American distraction offering the potential of a Regressive United Arab States spreading from a minor insurgency to an entrenched regional power, and a particularly challenging playthrough as Cuba facing down the beast of America. For those who like to play long odds, The End of History also offers an extremely difficult joke country, Virgin Bellinsgauzenia***, where players are tasked with uniting an unlikely alliance of Regressives and Soviet and South African exiles into a force to be reckoned with in the harshest environment on Earth.

*Their logo is a black swan.

**Basically the Republican-Democratic/NPP divide from TNO.

***Kaiserredux's Antarctic Commune lives, only with no Trotsky and only a slim chance of a penguin army!

Last edited:
If I get a free minute I had an idea for a flag of Virgin Bellinsgauzenia I'll try out 😂 it'll probably be ugly as sin but what else could you expect from what amounts to a joke country in an HOI4 mod?

Last edited:
Media Matters: Blood and Iron II
Bellinsgauzenia.png

Have the eye-searing flag of Virgin Bellinsgauzenia from The End of History! Have some lore:

"Unfairly regarded as a pariah state, Virgin Bellinsgauzenia has been able to carve out a hard but stable existence in Antarctica, transforming a ragtag bunch of political exiles into a united collective determined to preserve their freedom in the face of repression in their home countries and rapacious corporations out to plunder the southern continent. With a founding population of radical American environmentalists, Russians fleeing the post-Soviet scramble for power, and black South Africans practically driven into the sea by the apartheid government, the new "nation"* has made itself busy accepting refugees of all stripes in its quest to build a sustainable monument to human freedom. Using the Antarctic flag as a base, the flag of Virgin Bellinsgauzenia incorporates green to represent its environmentalism, the literary symbol of Zoran's Equation to represent knowledge, and the stylized skull as a memento mori in the face of the unforgiving ice and the polar night."

*Such as it is.

Last edited:
Haven't decided whether it'll get its own update there's also a smaller mod equivalent to Kaiserreich called Edelweiss, it shifts the action to a World War One analogue in a world where the 1848 Revolutions succeeded 🤔 If I think on it a bit more I might change my mind. I'm kicking around an idea where an authoritarian America and Russia anchor a reactionary alliance, most of the liberal revolutions have evolved in a Georgist direction (including a Confederacy that won the Civil War but fell to a revolution in the 1890s!) and the revolutionary role filled in the original mod by Syndicalism is instead taken up by Nihilist Anarchism.

Last edited: