Potential Central American Monarchs?

I'm currently working on a scenario revolving around a (somehow) monarchist Nicaragua, with monarchy being established some time in the mid- to late 1800s. Are there any estranged or ambitious nobles or dukes in Europe that would be willing to accept an invitation to rule any Central American country? Or would radical conservatives craft a new local dynasty? I would assume a Spanish or even Mexican noble, thanks to a common language, would be a preferred candidate, although it may not sit well with the people having a national of one of their former overlords rule over them. My next best guess would be Italian nobility recently displaced by the Savoyard conquests, as they never ruled over Nicaragua before and the language barrier is not incredibly difficult.

* I should clarify that in my scenario, Nicaragua is a constitutional monarchy.

Ferdinand Maximilian of Habsburg, possibly, if you're willing to take the extra step of allowing him to somehow keep power in Mexico. For all the wishy washiness he showed, he was still ambitious, in his own way. I wouldn't doubt that he would snap up any offer of a crown by the Nicaraguans, though whether he would wish Nicaragua to be reincorporated into Mexico or allow it autonomy under a separate crown is something I'm unsure of.

Ferdinand Maximilian of Habsburg, possibly, if you're willing to take the extra step of allowing him to somehow keep power in Mexico. For all the wishy washiness he showed, he was still ambitious, in his own way. I wouldn't doubt that he would snap up any offer of a crown by the Nicaraguans, though whether he would wish Nicaragua to be reincorporated into Mexico or allow it autonomy under a separate crown is something I'm unsure of.

Would it be possible for Maximilian to lose control over Mexico but somehow avoid execution? Perhaps he could flee to Spanish Cuba and take up residence until either returning to Europe or receiving a Nicaraguan offer.

Another interesting point of note was that in 1865, Maximilian adopted the two grandsons of Agustín de Iturbide, who was at one point Emperor during the period of the First Empire. Should Maximilian take up the Nicaraguan throne, and subsequently die with no Habsburg children, would one of these boys succeed him, making the House of Iturbide a landed dynasty once more?

Last edited:

Kaze

Banned
There were a few Maya / Indian Rebellions over the years... a successful rebellion could lead to a native Monarchy?

Would it be possible for Maximilian to lose control over Mexico but somehow avoid execution?
I certainly think so. Just butterfly away his last minute betrayal at Queretaro, and you could see a successful breakout and subsequent flight of the Emperor into the mountains. Assuming he sees this as the last straw, i could see him abdicating and quitting Mexico, though not without getting a lot of flak from his loyalists in the country. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time he contemplated it, considering he was halfway on the journey to Veracruz with all his things before he was convinced to take a stand and turn back.
Perhaps he could flee to Spanish Cuba and take up residence until either returning to Europe or receiving a Nicaraguan offer.
I don't see him doing this. At this point, his first priority would be to see his (dearly beloved) wife, who had suffered a mental breakdown while in Europe. If you want him to seriously consider an offer from Nicaragua, it would likely have to be before the bulk of the French Forces leave, or otherwise after Max stabilizes the situation in Mexico.
Should Maximilian take up the Nicaraguan throne, and subsequently die with no Habsburg children, would one of these boys succeed him, making the House of Iturbide a landed dynasty once more?
This is also unlikely, but possible. There's some speculation that Maximilian adopted the children primarily as a way to increase his legitimacy, and possibly as a way to pressure his family into giving him a Habsburg heir, likely in the form of one of his cousins or nephews. Regardless, the whole adoption scheme sort of fell through when the Iturbide family went back on their part of the agreement, which ended up causing a minor scandal.