Potential British colonies

• Thread starter Deleted member 143920
  • Start date
Could the British, rather than the Dutch, have taken Brazil during the Iberian Union period? British Brazil would be a rather interesting beast. I imagine the closest resemblance might have been with the American South (lots of settlers farming coffee and cotton with the work of lots of slaves)
I had found someone on a map thread who had published this scenario as a map for his timeline. I need to find it again. It was well done.

Deleted member 143920

Heh British Patagonia is such a AH cliché by now, though. British Brazil isn't done as often, I reckon. Although the Portuguese settlers there do present an interesting component: a South American Quebec equivalent, perhaps?

I think the portuguese would eventually assimilate into British culture overtime. If British Brazil succeeds. I doubt it would be a settler colony due to the already existing population and the humid climate. It would instead be treated like a giant jamaica I think.

I think the portuguese would eventually assimilate into British culture overtime. If British Brazil succeeds. I doubt it would be a settler colony due to the already existing population and the humid climate. It would instead be treated like a giant jamaica I think.

Well, Brazil is not just the Amazon, it has many areas that are quite better for settling. That's why the Portuguese did treat it as a settler colony, after all. I see no reason why the British, with both a greater population and with experience colonising other coffee, sugar and cotton producing areas, like the American South, would have an issue there.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Two notes

1) You have to understand "Patterns of Force" - the British Empire let us say historically did A,B and C using 90% of its available strength. Now to do D would require 25% of its strength, i.e. more than it could simply use from its reserve. Therefore part of A,B, or C is going to have to be sacrificed, not necessarily removing them completely but allowing only a partial resolution there.

2) As an example, Buenos Aires and the area around it, including up into what is now Uruguay. Britain invaded this area, and held it for a while. In order to hold it long-term, and thus make something colonial out of it, it is going to need to bring in substantial reinforcements. It does not have enough men "spare" so something else at the same time is not going to happen, or will only partially happen. Maybe the Cape is given up, or Ceylon? Or the wars in India are not pursued to a victory?

3) Sometimes though, a victory is won and a place held but given up in the peace agreement. You could look at Bencoolen/Sumatra as an example - there is no real reason why after some forty years, this Presidency should be abandoned to the Dutch. But holding on to it would require a reserve of political capital, or a trading of political capital from elsewhere.

Here is an example of a 'greater' British empire https://images.app.goo.gl/S3UiqzwWkixPs2cS6

@B_Munro made an interesting map exploring such a scenario:

AB2EF276-4320-4825-A651-38CC28F2FBAC.png

I had found someone on a map thread who had published this scenario as a map for his timeline. I need to find it again. It was well done.

I believe it might be this one:

I believe it might be this one:

I'm not sure. In the scenario that I had seen I believe that Spain managed to maintain the Iberian union without the support of England (and the map was not the same kind). But otherwise yes that's the idea and I'll take a look at this chronology.
Edit: Actually you were right, the map I'm talking about is on the last page. Good job @Witch0Winter !
Adventure awaits...

OF8za41.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 143920

I would like to mention that Britain could colonize other countries/territories in central and south America such as Cuba and Suriname, not just Brazil.

Found a map from a very inaccurate TL that had no care for any historical accuracy but with a pod of 1500
1586798305797.png

I think what happens is Britan attacks the fatherland and chaos ensues?

Last edited:
Well, Brazil is not just the Amazon, it has many areas that are quite better for settling. That's why the Portuguese did treat it as a settler colony, after all. I see no reason why the British, with both a greater population and with experience colonising other coffee, sugar and cotton producing areas, like the American South, would have an issue there.
For example, Sao Paulo's average daily high temperature in the summer is about 29 degrees Celsius/84 degrees Fahrenheit, about the same as Milan or New York.

I would like to mention that Britain could colonize other countries/territories in central and south America such as Cuba and Suriname, not just Brazil.

They did colonize Suriname, they just didn't keep it. It was given to the Dutch in exchange for New York. It wouldn't be a stretch at all to have it stay British.

Why would they lose Malacca? It would become a priority to secure the route to Manila and Edo.
They would focus on expanding their American colonies east, especially if they gain Louisiana and the Spanish would focus on gaining North Borneo in this scenario.

Last edited:
They would focus on expanding their American colonies east, especially if they gain Louisiana and the Spanish would focus on gaining North Borneo in this scenario.

That doesn't make any sense. It's not a video game with a "focus" limit that gets set globally. British administrators, merchants and naval officers would be stationed in the East with a vested interest in protecting and expanding the domains they were responsible for. The seizure of Bengal or the foundation of Singapore did not happen from London's direction.

That doesn't make any sense. It's not a video game with a "focus" limit that gets set globally. British administrators, merchants and naval officers would be stationed in the East with a vested interest in protecting and expanding the domains they were responsible for. The seizure of Bengal or the foundation of Singapore did not happen from London's direction.
But the swapping of colonies of Britain and the Netherlands would not even happen and Spain might gain Northern Borneo, expanding too much causes overextension.

Last edited:
But the swapping of colonies of Britain and the Netherlands would not even happen and Spain might gain Northern Borneo, expanding too much causes overextension.

Not really. The British gave an incredibly lenient peace deal in the Seven Years War because the King's Party was worried about Pitt becoming too powerful domestically. The Brits had completely defeated both the Spanish and French navies, and was also in much better financial shape. If George II lived longer, Pitt would have prosecuted the war for another year or more until the Bourbon powers were brought to their knees. They could easily have demanded Manila in the peace deal.

No clue how feasible the following are in terms of potential historical British colonies (more interested in the notion of them managing to hold the most profitable colonies or at least providing some other benefit to British interests whether short/medium/long-term e.g. logistics, future allies / commonwealth members, etc - depending how one defines profitable), yet find the following appealing:

-Europe-
  • A surviving English-speaking part of ATL Belgium to add another dimension to the country (essentially much of Nord-Pas-de-Calais via ATL wanked Pale of Calais)
  • Malta
  • Cyprus
  • Brittany
-Central/South America-
  • Maya Protectorate (a Maya continuation/successor state composed of Belize, Guatemala as well as the Mexican states of Yucatán, Campeche, Quintana Roo, Tabasco, and Chiapas)
  • Panama
  • Venezuela (akin to OTL Klein-Venedig plus possibly the Colombian departments of La Guajira, Cesar, Magdalena and North Santander yet minus Guayana region)
  • All of the Guianas (plus other parts of Brazil including Roraima and possibly Marajó island with its borders being the Orinoco, Casiquiare canal, Rio Negro and Amazon Rivers - Yet envision another European power taking the area)
  • Uruguay
  • Patagonia
  • Argentina (albeit reluctantly plus Uruguay, Patagonia and other parts of Chile provided they gain access to the South Pacific Ocean as a South American analogue to Canada)
- Africa-
  • Greater South Africa (albeit in a scenario where the Bantu Expansion never reaches further south beyond OTL Angola, Zambia and Mozambique north of the River Zambesi or is significantly delayed)
  • British West Africa (Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria and Ambazonia)
  • Madagascar
-Asia/Southeast Asia-
  • Taiwan (as a larger Singapore meets Australia / New Zealand)
  • Chusan (aka Zhoushan)
  • Sakhalin (completely out there though prefer it going to Japan)
  • Andaman & Nicobar (as an Anglo-Indian/Burmese state that welcomes other colonial Eurasian groups)
  • Palawan
  • New Guinea
  • Timor
  • Sulawesi
  • Maluku Islands

Last edited: