Potential British colonies

• Thread starter Deleted member 143920
  • Start date
Burgundy would be the Obvious one when england absorbes france, and Anjou napels married to a danish king could also be interesting but not what the thread is abouth
A interesting one would be a papal colony under John Cabot
I agree with you on Burgundy, as long as it manages to develop its unity.
What do you mean a "papal colony" of John Cabot?

because they where insane, cruel, stupid etc regarldles they did work.
In Brittany, Corsica, Alsace and even in Occitania regional languages are still spoken. So I don't see much difference with the British Isles, except in the way they are developed, but the result is the same.
In what way was it a crazy, cruel and stupid policy? The aim was to create a common French culture in order to create a common sense of belonging and occasionally to avoid secession. The consequence being the destruction of other cultures (which was not necessarily desired, for many it was possible to have two languages and cultures at the time). And this policy works because nowadays in France there is no big movement of independentists unlike Spain and the United Kingdom (I won't go on about it, it's a bit off topic).

I assume a French-english block against a habsburger block here but that is fighting in Europe not colonization The Original post was abouth the english being better colonizers taking france would have been a Obvious good move.
The union of Castile and Aragon could be papilitated with this POD? Moreover the Habsburgs might not inherit the Iberian crowns.

Post 1900? Go through with the proposed division of the Portuguese Empire, and, if there is a World War I, pick up more from the Ottomans and the Germans than OTL. Possibly Italian colonies too. Then, grab Ethiopia, and, if there's a Communist revolution in France, seize its colonies. If that's not enough, reduce/eliminate Iran and/or Afghanistan.

Before that, the sky is the limit, but the East Indies and/or Madagascar are obvious choices.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking Britain did conquer Cuba, and The Philippines, and Morocco and Abyssinia ... but they gave them back.

Post 1900? Go through with the proposed division of the Portuguese Empire, and, if there is a World War I, pick up more from the Ottomans and the Germans than OTL. Possibly Italian colonies too. Then, grab Ethiopia, and, if there's a Communist revolution in France, seize its colonies. If that's not enough, reduce/eliminate Iran and/or Afghanistan.
Next stop for London: the Sun!

Brazil, Senegel, Guiana/Surinam, Angola, Mozambique, earlier Canada and Cape Colony, River Plate/Patagonia, California, Oregon, Louisiana, Texas, Alaska, Siberia, Taiwan, Siam/Thailand, Vietnam

Well, Patagonia was uncolonized until the Mid 19th Century, and the British in the 1800s would colonize just about anywhere, so that's an obvious contender.

If the British gain Luzon in 7 years war, they will be the one to Open up Japan instead but they lose their chance in Malacca and North Borneo.

Possible, but I was thinking of colonies outside Europe such as the Philippines, Indonesia, cuba, etc.

Britain did actually conquer Cuba and the Philippines (or at least Havana and Manila) during the Seven Years War and Java during the Napoleonic wars - to meet your goal they simply have to not hand them back. Britain could also have easily picked up the Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, the Balearics and probably Sicily too (the Bourbon king of Naples in exile in Palermo owed his throne pretty much entirely to the Royal Navy) during the Napoleonic Wars. Various plans coming off or decisions taken differently would also see the British picking up larger chunks of South America and Ethiopia and Hawaii and Tibet...

Sumatra could be one. They had a colony on the western coast IOTL but nothing came of it. The British could probably get the whole island if things go differently.

It was swapped for an equally insignificant Dutch foothold in India. As you say, just not swapping it could make Sumatra British.

Last edited:
Everywhere is a potential British colony. How much of the world do you want the British to take after the industrial revolution?

The British conquered Java, Cuba, the Philippines, and the Ionian Isles at various points and handed them back so you can start there.

Deleted member 143920

Ivan the Terrible marries Elizabeth of England: Boom! Russian-British Empire!

I do think that is a bit too much, maybe something more realistic? Could the British buy the Dutch half new guinea, thereby making the entire island a British colony?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do think that is a bit too much, maybe something more realistic? Could the British buy the Dutch half new guinea, thereby making the entire island a British colony?
Ivan the Terrible had plans to marry Elizabeth I of England OTL. Of course this did not succeed for many reasons and his probability of success was extremely low.
What I meant by this message is that if Britain is given time but also luck it can colonize the whole planet. The author should give us a definite period of time over which we can extrapolate because then we can imagine what we want from the beginning without someone being more wrong than another.

Could the British, rather than the Dutch, have taken Brazil during the Iberian Union period? British Brazil would be a rather interesting beast. I imagine the closest resemblance might have been with the American South (lots of settlers farming coffee and cotton with the work of lots of slaves)

Deleted member 143920

Could the British, rather than the Dutch, have taken Brazil during the Iberian Union period? British Brazil would be a rather interesting beast. I imagine the closest resemblance might have been with the American South (lots of settlers farming coffee and cotton with the work of lots of slaves)

Maybe. Britain would have a greater chance of keeping Brazil than the Dutch as they are stronger, although there was already an existing latin culture in Brazil. Realistically it would be easier for Britain to colonize Pategonia during the Napoleonic wars than Brazil during the iberian union due to the fact that Pategonia technically wasn't colonized and was sparsely populated.

Here is an image of British Pategonia

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe. Britain would have a greater chance of keeping Brazil than the Dutch as they are stronger, although there was already an existing latin culture in Brazil. Realistically it would be easier for Britain to colonize Pategonia during the Napoleonic wars than Brazil during the iberian union due to the fact that Pategonia technically wasn't colonized and was sparsely populated.

Here is an image of British Pategonia

Heh British Patagonia is such a AH cliché by now, though. British Brazil isn't done as often, I reckon. Although the Portuguese settlers there do present an interesting component: a South American Quebec equivalent, perhaps?