Post WWII Kingdom of France

DeGualle was full of himself sure, but I don't think he would have gone that far. Such a thing might have been possible up until the end of the 19th century but you really can't have a true monarchy in France at that point. At most, you could have a puppet monarchy.

Thande

Donor
WW1 yes, with CP victory, perhaps; WW2 no, I think. It's not as though Vichy France was explicitly and solely identified with the Republic. Although having no Free French around to provide an Allied Republican stance would help.

At most, you could have a puppet monarchy.
That still be a monarchy, though. Now, very few monarchies nowadays are puppets. Why? Because the monarch has too little power to make anyone interested in puppeting them! Or do you mean modern-day Constitutional Monarchies?
As for the challenge, maybe De Gaulle gets kicked in the head and when the Fifth Republic would have been established he decides that a monarchy is good for stability.

Thande

Donor
Erm...could one of the claimants (Legitimist, Orleanist, or Bonapartist) have been a heroic army officer who takes the place of de Gaulle in TTL (De Gaulle being killed in the early stages of the war or something), leads the Free French charismatically, then becomes President and eventually crowns himself King or Emperor?

Admittedly that sounds more likely with the Bonapartists...

Hapsburg

Banned
Nah... pretty much ASB... unless u have DeGaule (sic) crown himself King of France... (or Emperor if u prefer...)
I remember writing a short TL about that- De Gaulle is proclaimed King of the French by the provisional senate, and he leads France into a constitutional, liberal monarchy (well, liberal compared to the Orleans or Bourbons).

I remember writing a short TL about that- De Gaulle is proclaimed King of the French by the provisional senate, and he leads France into a constitutional, liberal monarchy (well, liberal compared to the Orleans or Bourbons).
More liberal then OTL De Gaulle, obviously, since the Orleanists were quite liberal (indeed, very, very liberal for monarchists in a non-monarchy).

Considering that Juan Carlos took the throne of Spain as a liberal/democratic enhancement of the country, a French king could conceivably do the same earlier. I'd LOVE to see Louis de Broglie as king:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1929/broglie-bio.html said:
Prince Louis-Victor de Broglie of the French Academy, Permanent Secretary of the Academy of Sciences, and Professor at the Faculty of Sciences at Paris University, was born at Dieppe (Seine Inférieure) on 15th August, 1892, the son of Victor, Duc de Broglie and Pauline d'Armaillé.

Sort of like Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel, you know....

Thande

Donor
Considering that Juan Carlos took the throne of Spain as a liberal/democratic enhancement of the country, a French king could conceivably do the same earlier. I'd LOVE to see Louis de Broglie as king:

Sort of like Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel, you know....
Somehow, I can see him focusing on a nuclear programme ;)

And if crowds come up with a new way of cheering him, there could be a new definition for 'de Broglie waves' :D

Erm...could one of the claimants (Legitimist, Orleanist, or Bonapartist) have been a heroic army officer who takes the place of de Gaulle in TTL (De Gaulle being killed in the early stages of the war or something), leads the Free French charismatically, then becomes President and eventually crowns himself King or Emperor?

Admittedly that sounds more likely with the Bonapartists...

I thought Susano sorted out the claims on another thread. Pretty much the Legitimists have the worst claim (IIRC what he said) and the Orleanists might be the best bet.

Hapsburg

Banned
More liberal then OTL De Gaulle, obviously, since the Orleanists were quite liberal (indeed, very, very liberal for monarchists in a non-monarchy).
I was referring to the historical monarchies of those families, not the opinions of the claimants circa De Gaulle's time.

PS) Anyone else find it weird that the first leader of the 4th-5th French Republics had the last name De Gaulle, and had the first name Charles, the same name as the originator of the French state, Charles le Magne?

Not really, Haps. His father, Henri de Gaulle, was a philosophy professor at a Jesuit college - and Wiki says that M. de Gaulle came from a long line of aristocrats from Normandy and Burgundy.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
I remember being told that de Gaulle considered re-establishing the monarchy in the 1950s, tho I don't remember seeing a source (tho that could just be my memory)

And one of the senior leaders of the French Resistance WAS the Bonapartist claimant; another was one of the senior Murats but he was killed in action

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Hapsburg

Banned
Not really, Haps. His father, Henri de Gaulle, was a philosophy professor at a Jesuit college - and Wiki says that M. de Gaulle came from a long line of aristocrats from Normandy and Burgundy.
This invalidates that weird coincidence how?

Franco-British Union accepted Elizabeth the First of France and England

assuming the standard British numbering system for monarchs is maintained, she'd still be Elizabeth II

Basically the monarchs take whichever Regnant number is highest from each of the individual nations, eg, if there were a future King David he would be King David III as Scotland has already had 2 King Davids

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
assuming the standard British numbering system for monarchs is maintained, she'd still be Elizabeth II

Basically the monarchs take whichever Regnant number is highest from each of the individual nations, eg, if there were a future King David he would be King David III as Scotland has already had 2 King Davids

True, but I believe this was only decided in Elizabeth II's reign. Otherwise we would talk of James VI and James VII, when historically we refer to them as I and II - of course, if there is another James he WOULD be the VIII by this act, which would look even weird - I, II and VIII !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

True, but I believe this was only decided in Elizabeth II's reign. Otherwise we would talk of James VI and James VII, when historically we refer to them as I and II - of course, if there is another James he WOULD be the VIII by this act, which would look even weird - I, II and VIII !

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

She would probably be Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and I of France.