Post-war German heavy tank?

marathag

Banned
The West Germans got back in the tank building business with the Leopard 1 in the 60’s. Even at this point their armament industry was stunted and unable to develop their own main guns, which is why they went with the British L7
Rheinmetall was allowed to restart development in 1958, but the L7 was a far better design than the US Pattern 90mm they had been building, they didn't have time to make their own tube that could surpass it.

The Leo 1 was closer to French development, high mobility, light armor and big gun, the fast Eggshell armed with a hammer.
50-70mm armor on the front, not much different from the Sherman, a bit less.

Rheinmetall was allowed to restart development in 1958, but the L7 was a far better design than the US Pattern 90mm they had been building, they didn't have time to make their own tube that could surpass it.

The Leo 1 was closer to French development, high mobility, light armor and big gun, the fast Eggshell armed with a hammer.
50-70mm armor on the front, not much different from the Sherman, a bit less.

Yes the Germans and French got together in 1956 to develop a joint tank. The French split from the project but the AMX-30 is similar in design.

Steel boxes filled with a 'plastic' that was mostly quartz gravel, with asphalt and a small amount of wood flour to act as the resin to bond it all together.
Aha. So essentially the same idea as the “plastic armour” the RN improvised.

Alternate German heavy with HCR2 heat blocks.

E-50 Leopard with HCR2 HEAT Blocks.jpg

Personally I don't think the Germans would go with a heavy tank ITTL, I think they would adopt a medium tank, perhaps something very similar to the Pz.58 but with some of the Leopard-I's features.
Below an alternate early Leo-I/Pz.58 hybrid with and without heat blocks.

Alt-Leo-1~Pz-58 with HCR2 HEAT Blocks~.jpg

Problem is that by the time the German AFV industry gets back in action again in 1955-1960 the writing is already on the wall for the heavy tank. The other western heavy tanks start development in the late 40s/early 50s and are recognized as being obsolete before they are even deployed.

I know the u.s. 76mm was based on the 3" naval gun
The 3-inch gun that went on the M6 heavy and the M10 tank destroyer was a version of a WWI-era anti-aircraft gun that was itself descended from an Army 3"/55 coast defense gun. The Army and Navy guns were completely separate programs at this point. The 76mm M1 that went on later Shermans and on Hellcats was a completely different gun that was designed to cut about half of the weight off the 3-inch HV guns that were in use.

marathag

Banned
Problem is that by the time the German AFV industry gets back in action again in 1955-1960 the writing is already on the wall for the heavy tank. The other western heavy tanks start development in the late 40s/early 50s and are recognized as being obsolete before they are even deployed.

The Leo1 started out as a 30 ton Tank
Leo2 is now approaching 70 tons.

In WWII speak, that's a heavy tank, but one with decent mobility and reliability: that's what was new, but still has all the heavy tank disadvantages like bridges. The Tiger I and M1A2 have roughly the same ground pressure,the Le02 slightly less-- but overall weight is still there

The difference is in their version of Chobham, which adds a lot of weight, and a lot of protection.
The weight difference going from a 105mm to 120mm is minor in comparison, roughly a half ton.

What's going on for the original PoD, WI the West Germans make a Heavy Tank? the building blocks for what's needed for a reliable Heavy tank were there in the late '50s when the Leo1 was being made. The British 120mm was far lighter than previous 120mm guns. High HP, reliable Diesels were around.

The Germans and French had a close defense relationship at the time, and it's unlikely the Germans would have been unaware of the plans for the French 105mm F1 cannon, that would use a very powerful HEAT round, rather than APDS or APCR. The US was working on HEAT shell for the 90mm, very similar to the French Orbus G, using slipping driving bands rather than the outershell and ball bearings, as used by the French. The research on that began in Germany at the end of the War.

So they would have known Powerful HEAT rounds were on the Horizon, and should have protection against them, as well as the RPG-2 all over the Warsaw Pact Infantry. The British were working on their 'Burlington' Armor to increase protection, a very closely held secret on the details, while the US HCR program was out there for anyone who wanted to read period documents from the War.