Post-Doomsday pop culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is fashion in this TL? Will it follow OTL where the 2000s has seen low-rise jeans and emo pop culture? And by the 2010s, we'd see the Justin Bieber-type of haircut among teens and skinny jeans? I'm curious if the fashion by 2019 is still 1980s or at least OTL 1990s level.

Well, if you've seen the end of Threads, that nails it pretty well.

Well, if you've seen the end of Threads, that nails it pretty well.
Your basic medieval starving peasant. That may be realistic but the Doomsday timeline tends to be a lot more optimistic than that. Unreasonably so for anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. The Southern Hemisphere nations have much more chance of returning to near normal life in a generation or so.

Your basic medieval starving peasant. That may be realistic but the Doomsday timeline tends to be a lot more optimistic than that. Unreasonably so for anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere. The Southern Hemisphere nations have much more chance of returning to near normal life in a generation or so.
So safe to say the fashion trends from OTL 2000s-2010s would be butterflied away for good? or at least delayed?

Probably butterflied altogether. In the war zone the surviving communities will be more concerned with finding anything to clothe themselves rather than what it looks like and in the more or less undamaged south things will be much more subdued. It's a smaller, poorer and shell shocked world that's probably regressed to a 1930's level economy where its not a scorched and poisoned wasteland.

I'm sorry, I fail to see the relevance to my comment? What does TDA not coming out (I believe it was two months after Doomsday) have to do with my observation about WarGames?
WarGames would have been harsher in hindsight since in the film shows a false alarm leading to a nuclear war. It was released in June 1983 and with Doomsday occurring on September of that year, it as it got predicted. Though I am unsure how many survivors know that 9/26 was caused by a computer error.

I believe that The Day After was more hyped up at that time and it would show the after effects of a nuclear war immediately, unlike in WarGames where no nuclear war really happened.

I was thinking of what famous toyline would continue in the 21st century:
- Mattel is likely be gone since it's headquarters is in El Segundo, CA within the Los Angeles Country. Los Angeles and the county suffered multiple hits. If surviving factories survived, maybe they could still produce Hotwheels, Matchbox, and Barbie Dolls.
- Hasbro may or may have survived since it's HQ is in Pawtucket, RI. However, since Rhode Island is small and Providence taking a hit, the entire state is drenched in fall out along with strikes in the Boston-Washington corridor. Again, like Mattel, if other factories survived, they could still continue making their products such as Transformers and Battleship.
- LEGO definitely survived since Billund didn't take a hit. I could see it continue production factories within the ANZC, SAC, and Southeast Asia. Just like OTL, it would be insanely expensive and only the elite would probably be its main customer.

Other than that, Star Wars action figures from 1977-1983 would be worth a fortune here.

Threads is interesting cause Jane, despite having been born and grown up after World War 3, has a tooth filling plus pierced ears for ladies' earrings...

I'm guessing there'd be a resurgence of acoustic big band groups with more modern genres of music falling to wayside. Since they tend to rely on electronic recording equipment, speakers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.