Post 1800 Nationalist ideologies in the Fertile Crescent and Levant?

Suppose the Ottoman Empire met its end earlier, could something other than pan-Arabism emerge as the dominant nationalist current in the Levant and FertileCrescent, like Phoenicianism in Lebanon?

Last edited:
I think that if Egypt was allowed to decimate the Ottomans after Nezib and declare independence (Highly improbable considering how Europe intervened this exact scenario to maintain the Ottoman state to exploit it), it's likely that the Levant would've gone to Egypt, spurring a Balkanization of the Middle East of some sorts.

A Kurdish independence movement could've also been really interesting but I don't know how this could happen earlier and more successfully in the 19th/20th century.

Depends specifically on which states come into and how the Ottomans meet their end.
I think that if Egypt was allowed to decimate the Ottomans after Nezib and declare independence (Highly improbable considering how Europe intervened this exact scenario to maintain the Ottoman state to exploit it), it's likely that the Levant would've gone to Egypt, spurring a Balkanization of the Middle East of some sorts.

A Kurdish independence movement could've also been really interesting but I don't know how this could happen earlier and more successfully in the 19th/20th century.
I was thinking about Muhammad Ali being more successful, but I am open to other ideas.

In that case, pan-Arabism and Arab nationalism will rise earlier as unifying element and vehicle for growth of his Empire
I was thinking that his empire would not last, and thus eschewing pan-Arabism becomes a part of the national identity in breakaway areas.

Osman Aga

Banned
Suppose the Ottoman Empire meet its end earlier, could something other than pan-Arabism emerge as the dominant nationalist current in the Levant and FertileCrescent, like Phoenicianism in Lebanon?

Nationalism among Muslims were low. Even without the Ottomans they will not become nationalist earlier. Maybe as a reaction to their new non-Arab rulers like Mehmed Ali's successors, Mamluks of Iraq etc. But that is assuming...