Possible AH Kid's Book?

Was over on Goodreads and found this query -

I checked this book out from my elementary school library some time between 1996-1999. The book was rather large, had a hard cover, and was most likely illustrated.

The cover featured two characters who may or may not have been anthropomorphic animals. They were balancing on two separate "towers" facing each other. They had weapons, most likely AK47s or another type of assault rifle, aimed at each other. The plot may have had something to do with an "arms race" (USSR vs USA?, WW2?) and I remember it being darker then your average kids book. It wasn't Dr. Seuss (at least I don't think it was).

I vaguely recall it being part of a large series. I have no idea if it was new at the time nor what the authors name was.

The poster wasn't sure if it was a picture book or a chapter book, but I'm wondering if it could have been a graphic novel. Any ideas?

I have read a book that I think is the one under discussion. It was a picture book, part of a series of books written by children, and at one point rhymed "atomic tomatoes" with "nuclear potatoes" (or possibly the adjectives were switched). I have no idea what the characters were fighting over, but I suspect it wasn't a direct historical allegory.

Found it - World War Won by Dav Pilkey (the author of the "Captain Underpants" series). True, it's not AH but looks like a good read for the kids.