Portuguese Southern Africa - a TL

I had written an entire epilogue to the Napoleonic Wars, however apparently I didn't save it so, I'll give a brief synopsis.

In May 1809, Napoleon decided to proceed with his invasion of Russia and Byzantium. Dividing his Grand Armée into two groups, he would lead a larger army through Poland and to capture Moscow. The second army would go southwards and capture Constantinople. In Hungary organized resistance was initially weak, and he soon carved out puppet states out of Croatia, Illyria (Albania) and Transylvania. However, soon armed bands of Greeks, Serbs and Bulgarians began attacking French positions. Also, Hungarian and Polish nobles formed small armies that would harass the French and wear down their morale.

After capturing Warsaw, his army is defeated at Mogilev in September 1809. This forces him to retreat south to Kiev where he winters. However, a large Austro-Prussian Army defeats the French outside of Vienna, and marches eastward towards Hungary. Napoleon's forces are cutoff from reinforcements and badly in need of provisions. Therefore, he changes his mind to head southward along the Black Sea.

Throughout 1810-1811 Napoleon is able to still achieve some impressive victories despite meagre resources. However, he is bogged down fighting ever large numbers of allied armies. Once he hears of the invasion of France, he makes an attempt to quickly return his army to France where he can regroup.

However, by 1810, the French Imperial Army has been pushed out of Iberia and is fighting in the Pyrenees. Here the French Imperial Army manages to hold off the combined British & British American, Spanish, French Royalist and Aragonese Army until 1811. However, in 1810 more troops were brought from North America and Britain to Barcelona. By mid-1811 they have managed to capture much of southern France where Royalist sympathies are high.

In Italy, the British Aid the Savoyards in assembling an invasion force. By September 1810, a rebellion in Italy against the French breaks out. The rebels call for an Italian Republic, it begins in Florence, and spreads to Bologna and Rome. In October, the Savoyard forces land a small army at Civitavecchia and take Rome by December. Soon an Italian Army of 100,000 men is assembled under King Victor Emanuel I. This causes large numbers of Italians to defect from Napoleon's troops. By spring of 1811 they have invaded the Swiss Confederation.

This leads the Bourbons in Sicily to assemble an invasion force and in May 1811, they invade Calabria, and capture Naples in October, driving Napoleon's brother from the throne there.

In Germany meanwhile, the Swedes and Danes along with the Prussians have control of the Baltic Coast and the Prussians liberate the Netherlands in May 1811. This is followed by a British/French Royalist invasion at Dunkirk in July. In the meantime, the German states begin rebelling against French rule, with more and more men joining the anti-Napoleonic Coalition.

Also in May 1811, a pro-royalist rebellion begins in Western France. This is initially quelled, but French Imperial troops in France are stretched thin. Hearing of the events in France, in October 1811 Napoleon hopes to return to France. However, at Valmy the French Imperial troops are defeated by a much larger force. This leads to a collapse of the French government and a French Royalist Army triumphantly enters Paris, hoisting the Fleur-de-Lys over the Tuileries Palace for the first time in twenty years.

Napoleon meanwhile fights on, however he is defeated after an exhausting four-day battle at Sarajevo in November 1811. His men soon get word of events in Paris, and they begin to surrender to the Austro-Russian army. In the end, the general had hoped he could achieve a stunning victory, but by that time all of Europe was against him, and his forces were outnumbered 5 to 1 on the battlefield. Napoleon formally signs his surrender and abdication, ending twenty-years of war in Europe.

Territorial Changes

I'd like to make a map, but for now I will simply explain the territorial changes in 1812.

France relinquishes the departments of Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin and Moselle to Austria. The department of Nord to the Netherlands, Corsica to Italy, and the Greek Islands and Crete to the Greek Empire. However, it does get to keep the portions of Switzerland that had been annexed including Geneva, Jura, Neuchâtel. In addition, it is allowed to keep the Counties of Avignon and Venaissin. Finally, France is given possession of the County of Nice and the Val d'Aosta.

Austria receives various territories including a portion of Lorraine from France. In addition, Bavaria is greatly enlarged, and various ecclesiastical states are added to the Empire. The Austrian Emperor is now also head of the German Confederation, consisting of the former Holy Roman Empire. However, the Confederation is little more than a customs union. Finally, Austria receives most of the former Helvetic Confederation, with the exception of Ticino and areas incorporated into France earlier.

The Greek Empire receives Serbia from Hungary, the Ionian Islands and Crete from France, along with Cyprus from the House of Savoy.

The United Provinces of the Netherlands is now the Kingdom of the Netherlands, under the House of Orange. They receive all of former French Flanders (former Spanish Netherlands). In addition they receive the maritime Flanders (including Dunkirk). However, they lose Sumatra, Demerera and Berbice in Dutch Guiana, Dutch Bengal and Mauritius to Great Britain. Esequibo in Dutch Guiana goes to Spain. Finally, East Frisia is given to the Kingdom of Hanover.

Kingdom of Sardinia is now the Kingdom of Italy, with the former Papal States having been incorporated into the kingdom. In addition, a portion of the Bishopric of Trent is annexed to the kingdom as is Ticino in Switzerland along with Corsica. However, the Savoys cede Val d'Aosta and Savoy to France and Cyprus to the Greek Empire. The King of Italy is among the first to grant his subjects a constitution and a parliament.

The Kingdom of Westphalia created by Napoleon is given to the House of Wittelsbach, rulers of the Palatinate.

Prussia receives Swedish Pomerania in return for the assistance of Prussian troops in the defence of Livonia. From the Danish Crown, Prussia receives Schleswig. However, Prussia cedes East Frisia to the Netherlands. Some other minor territorial adjustments are also made.

The Electorate of Hanover is enlarged with the acquisition of East Frisia from the Netherlands along with Bremen and Verden from Sweden. Finally, the Elecorate is abolished and it is now a Kingdom.

Saxony, and Wurttemberg also elevated to the status of kingdoms with various territorial changes. Baden becomes a Grand Duchy, as do Mecklenburg and Oldenburg, and Hesse.

Various independent ecclesiastical states are extinguished in Germany, and incorporated into neighbouring states. These include bishoprics, abbots etc. Smaller principalities are also mediatized and their respective princely families are allowed to keep their estates and ranks.

The Papal States ceases to exist as the Pope was under the protection of the House of Savoy on Sardinia. An agreement is made however, giving the pope complete control over the Catholic Church in the Kingdom of Italy. In addition, all papal properties are protected including the Quirinale. Finally, the Papal residences are granted the same immunity bequeathed to Embassies, and the Pope may continue to appoint Papal Nuncios and Legates to foreign countries. Finally, the Pope and the Cardinals are placed on the Civil List of the Kingdom of Italy. In the Italian Parliament he is represented in the Italian Senate by the appointment of all of the Archbishops and Bishops the Kingdom who are permanent members of the chambre. Likewise, the heads of Roman Princely families are given seats in the Senate.

The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies experiences only minor territorial adjustments. However, the islands of Malta and the Knights of Malta are placed under the protection of the King of the Two Sicilies.

Portugal, Spain and Aragon have their frontiers returned to their antebellum status quo.

What about French colonial holdings abroad especially in East Asia and the Caribbean?

These were secured by the French Royal Navy early on due to the naval officers remaining loyal to the crown. Also, the initial slave revolts in Saint-Domingue were suppressed early on with the help of New France. In this TL, the navy was too weak to attack France early on, however it was able to secure the French West Indies (where the creole elite turned against the Revolution). The planters in the Mascarenes too were sympathetic to the revolution and secured.

What was left of the Republican Navy was destroyed by the British, Portuguese and Royalist French Navy. This allowed an effective blockade on France, and allowed the royalists to secure the posts in India and West Africa. Finally, with a financial base in New France, including an ample supply of naval stores, the Royalist Navy was able to continue and grow during the nearly twenty years abroad. Finally, it allowed the French Royalists to retake Egypt for a while and eventually regain control of Egypt and Syria.

In the French Republic and later Empire, naval stores were difficult to come by with the blockade, meaning the government there focused more on building a large army. Part of Napoleon's reasoning to invade Russia was to obtain naval stores and to cutoff Britain's supply as well afterwards. However, this obviously failed. Also, the French Royalist Navy had the waters around Newfoundland and Acadia to train sailors, giving it another plus.

The Netherlands on the other hand was a different situation. The Stadt-Holder was forced to escape, due to being voted out of power. With no base to go to (unless he went to Batavia or the West Indies), he went to Britain and entrusted the colonies to the British. However, due to the cost of maintaining them, Britain decides to keep a few of them as part of the peace settlement.

How is the world ITTL compared to OTL, technologically?

I noticed that industry has spread to North America faster than OTL, so where would you put ITTL technology age in ITTL 1815 compared to OTL 1815?(for example)

Also, dude I love your TL! I hope you continue this until the reaches of space muhahaha.
If there are any gentlemen and women out there skilled in the craft of map-making, feel free to ask Viriato's permission and post it :D

I've been actually working on a map. However, I am starting to think that perhaps this world did not have enough butterflies early on (as pointed out to me). However, I never put much forethought into this TL, as it was done mostly when posters requested a Portuguese Southern Africa thread be done.

I am thinking of perhaps creating a new TL that has far more butterflies including some interesting dynastic unions and different wars in Europe as early as the 15th century. However, it is requiring a bit more research as I have been using a family tree making program to change various royal marriages and create new rulers/potential for wars in Europe.

Continue

I think you should keep going, with Portugese Africa it is going to have an effect on European expansion in the mid to later 19th century. There are more butterflies coming the further on you go.

I've been actually working on a map. However, I am starting to think that perhaps this world did not have enough butterflies early on (as pointed out to me). However, I never put much forethought into this TL, as it was done mostly when posters requested a Portuguese Southern Africa thread be done.

I am thinking of perhaps creating a new TL that has far more butterflies including some interesting dynastic unions and different wars in Europe as early as the 15th century. However, it is requiring a bit more research as I have been using a family tree making program to change various royal marriages and create new rulers/potential for wars in Europe.

I think that's a good idea- there was a lack of butterflies early on, and I am kind of skeptical of Portugal's ability to a) penetrate Africa that far that quick and b) settle Brazil that much at the same time, to say nothing of c) Australia

You really should continue, now it's when the major butterfiles will come forth, since most of southern africa is under portuguese control, the other countries as well as portugal should begin to expand to other places with interesting results.

I think that's a good idea- there was a lack of butterflies early on, and I am kind of skeptical of Portugal's ability to a) penetrate Africa that far that quick and b) settle Brazil that much at the same time, to say nothing of c) Australia

I actually thought it made a lot of sense. Viriato's provided ample evidence about population growth in frontier colonies to indicate as much.

I say you should go for it! I'd be really interested to see a more butterfly-heavy take on this scenario.