Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

Planning a timeline there, statichaos?:p

Heh. Just spitballing.

Here's another fun one:

Fox interferes more heavily in casting decisions for the 1996 Doctor Who movie. They have money tied up, and want to ensure that the finished product will sell well on their side of the pond, as well. Paul McGann (practically unknown to Americans despite his excellent work) is out. They cast about for a relatively young, appealing actor who (despite a previous Academy Award nomination) seems to have had some major career stumbles. Yes, there are rumors about his drug use, but so what? It's not like he's the only star in Hollywood to enjoy the party circuit. What's important is that he has a well-known name, critical acclaim, and can fake a decent enough English accent to assuage the fears of the people on the BBC end that the movie and any subsequent show would become overly "Americanized".

I introduce you to the Eighth (and shortest-serving) Doctor, Robert Downey, Jr. While he didn't last for long due to major issues with narcotics, his name recognition and popularity combined with his humane and wonderfully eccentric portrayal of The Doctor brought in any number of viewers who wouldn't have bothered with the show otherwise, and is credited with the rebirth of the series in the mid-1990s. Of course, purists despise his portrayal (and the subsequent series that took place largely in the United States), but others are thankful that he resurrected a once-dying franchise.

EDIT: Before the obvious complaints come in, I'd like to note that Downey had already won a BAFTA for his portrayal of Charlie Chaplin in the movie Chaplin, so I suspect that BBC resistance wouldn't be too high.

Last edited:
(I figure you missed my post because you were writing.) They simply don't have the writer's. The only POD to make Voyager work is fire Berman and Braga and most of the writing staff and bring in new people.
Actually...you want to make this work? Paramount is VERY unhappy with Brannon and Braga losing their lead actress so soon into a series, and strips away much of their authority in favor of...hmm. Who would be interesting?
But still, I highly doubt the circumstances would cause Paramount to kick Berman out of the franchise. Maybe Braga, but not Berman.
Ronald D. Moore. As much as BSG went downhill (and the ending was hilariously stupid) if Brannon is fired—him and RDM has a massive falling out, they used to be writing partners—and Moore winds up in charge for whatever reason there'd be a pretty jump in quality, and Star Trek: Voyager doesn't need long-term plotting or lots of religion so Moore's weak points are left out.
Okay, Braga's out. Berman is still in, but his influence is much diminished per direction from the studio. Berman isn't happy about this, but he still has an Exec Producer credit, and some say over how things go.

I'd say that Piller just wants the show to go on, Braga leaves under pressure from Paramount, Moore essentially jumps into his place, and (as stated) Berman's actual role is diminished after a "come to Jesus" meeting with studio heads, something along the lines of when NBC sat down with Jay Leno and Helen Kushnick.

There's going to be a HUGE legal kerfuffle over contracts and the like, but that's why studios have lawyers on retainer. Braga could conceivably even be bribed to let it drop with a good development deal ("Hey, Brannon, you're wasting your talent on someone else's franchise. How about we help you develop your own, original ideas?"), especially if the alternative is an ugly legal battle that would end up involving a number of people he'd like to work with again someday.
GAH!!!!! For fuck's sake, DO SOME RESEARCH, PEOPLE!

Brannon Braga was the showrunner of Star Trek: Voyager... for the FIFTH and SIXTH SEASONS. Before that, he was JUST A STAFF WRITER. HE WAS NOT IN CHARGE!

You know who was in charge? Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor shared the showrunner position for the first season. Then Piller left, and Jeri Taylor remained the sole showrunner for the second, third and fourth seasons. If you want someone to blame for Voyager's intrinsic faults, blame Jeri Taylor. Or, hell -- blame Michael Piller as well, because if he'd wanted to do something about it he could have.

But ohh no -- no, we all know that the Bermaga Monster is some kind of evil two-headed Hydra creature that eats Trekkie babies for breakfast or something and is out to deliberately destroy Star Trek piece by piece from the inside out. It has to be Braga's fault -- it is always Braga's fault. Actual facts be damned. Pass the haterade! :rolleyes:

My apologies. You're obviously correct, and I thank you for the information. I had some things confused. However, the rather extreme response may have been unnecessary.

EDIT: All taken care of. Thanks for the correction. That would have been even more embarrassing if it had gone on any longer.

Last edited:
You know who was in charge? Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor shared the showrunner position for the first season. Then Piller left, and Jeri Taylor remained the sole showrunner for the second, third and fourth seasons. If you want someone to blame for Voyager's intrinsic faults, blame Jeri Taylor. Or, hell -- blame Michael Piller as well, because if he'd wanted to do something about it he could have.

It was created by Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor. Berman and Piller ran the show in the first year, after that Piller was a creative consultant giving script notes, he wasn't hugely involved.

Jeri Taylor was the show runner for the second through fourth seasons, with Rick Berman heavily involved. So yes, overlooking her was a mistake.

All of these can be easily fixed for statichaos's timeline.

ColeMercury, we do appreciate your Devil's Advocacy, but please moderate your tone. The good people of this site already get plenty worked up over war and politics; we don't need the lightness and fun of popular culture tainted by that zealousness too :)

ColeMercury, we do appreciate your Devil's Advocacy, but please moderate your tone. The good people of this site already get plenty worked up over war and politics; we don't need the lightness and fun of popular culture tainted by that zealousness too :)
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I remember back in 2007 I happened across a message board post (can't remember where) complaining at length about how Berman and Braga were in the process of killing Star Trek. In 2007. A full year after Berman had officially resigned from Paramount, and three years after Braga had stepped down as showrunner of Enterprise.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I remember back in 2007 I happened across a message board post (can't remember where) complaining at length about how Berman and Braga were in the process of killing Star Trek. In 2007. A full year after Berman had officially resigned from Paramount, and three years after Braga had stepped down as showrunner of Enterprise.

Yeah, I can see how that would grate. Tone or not, though, I would once again like to thank you for the corrections. I've edited the OP to both make the necessary corrections and to thank you for pointing out the issues. I hope that you'll continue to follow it.

That would be an interesting one, indeed. Are we also looking at a lack of youth rebellion as a result? Or rebellion mostly centered around civil rights issues instead?

Just so everyone knows, my timeline has been updated today, February 12th. Link in the sig.

In fact, I would suggest that it might be a good idea for all the authors with a timeline indexed here to post when they have posted another update to their timeline.

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, my timeline has been updated today, February 12th. link in the sig.

In fact, I would suggest that it might be a good idea for all the authors with a timeline indexed here to post when they have posted another update to their timeline.

I don't know how much we want to clutter up this thread, but until we come to an agreement I also updated today! With Max Headroom. I've also done a directory for new readers.

Directory:

And I did one for new readers (or re-readers) of Brainbin's The Wacky Redhead as well located here given that the thread was 14 pages long.

Haven't got around to anybody else yet though.

Last edited: